T500 purchase advice for a noob

Info specific to the T500
StillBrewing
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Re: T500 purchase advice for a noob

Post by StillBrewing » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:29 pm

Rev James

The copper for the packing I used was just the normal 3 metre lengths of 15mm. It took me ages in front of the tv in the evenings but was made much quicker when a friend brought round his snips. They don't have to be exactly uniform in size but aim for 10mm rings, cut in three and then each one bent over.

The yeast I use is Mauripan fast acting dried bread yeast. If you contact a company in the UK called Bako and ask them nicely, they will sell to the public and deliver it to a bakery local to you that they supply if you organise it with them beforehand. Comes in 500g blocks and I paid about £2.00 for each one the last time I ordered some. Failing that, find an ambient food supply company that delivers to places like schools and hotels. They usually stock it as well.

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:42 pm

£4/Kg is a good price for yeast. IMHO
The patience to make copper saddles is priceless. :o
But, I have spent much time myself doing slowly, manually things like this, generally because they were very expensive or not available.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Mash

Post by Mash » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:50 am

Fermipan is £4 ish per kilo. I have considered buying a box and splitting it up for members.

Back to the op. Have you considered other stills? Something to consider is your rate of consumption. Does your still, fermenter volume & process match?
To Gin-finity and beyond !

gaza the instructor

Post by gaza the instructor » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:46 pm

Where are you buying the Fermipan from Mash?
Mirror-signal-manoeuvre.

RevJames

Post by RevJames » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:32 pm

Mash wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:50 am
Fermipan is £4 ish per kilo. I have considered buying a box and splitting it up for members.

Back to the op. Have you considered other stills? Something to consider is your rate of consumption. Does your still, fermenter volume & process match?
Hey Mash,

I've looked at a few still setups and I think the T500 column/alembic variations work well for what I'd be looking for. I like the versatility of it, and the fact that it ships turnkey. I did take a look at this one too https://www.moonshinestill.com/products/5-gallon, but was put off by the lack of a column option, and I've also read that the condenser is too small (and I'd be hopeless at modding right now..). I'm also hampered by the fact that space is limited as I'm apartment-living with no garage, garden, shed, workspace etc, so some of the larger options I've seen are also out.

I also checked out the air still, but opted against it as I've read the output volumes are too small to make accurate cuts. I'm sure there are experienced guys on here who have mastered it, but the practice of making good cuts is something that I'm really keen to learn. Without being insulting to any fans of the still, I also feel that the T500 set up is a lot closer to the 'professional' stilling process. I'm looking to learn the art of distilling with a long term view of (hopefully) growing into this game and setting up my own craft distillery. (We all need a dream, right?!)

Any other suggestions that I may have missed would be appreciated. I checked out StillDragon as someone had suggested, but the prices were pretty steep for a 'dip my toe in the water' still. I can get the T500 column plus alembic for under $1000, which is justifiable and an fairly easy sell to the other half. If it works well and I'm hooked, I can look at the StillDragon stuff further down the line if things start getting more serious. The stuff on that site is beautiful to be fair, a far cry from most home stills which are ugly as homemade sin.

Re. fermenter etc., I'd tailor that to the T500 requirements. I'm starting from scratch, so my options are open. Re. consumption, I'm guessing it'll be a while before I'm consistently producing quality/drinkable spirits, so I'm more focussed on the learning/education aspect of distilling than the consumption part right now. The local liquor store will still be getting my $$$ for the foreseeable.. ;)

Cheers,
Rev

gaza the instructor

Post by gaza the instructor » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:38 pm

Rev
Have you had a read of this. It may change your mind regarding the Air Still.
If you follow this there is no reason why you cant produce the good stuff.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=76
Just click on the Air Still brief.
Ask Mash he swears by the AS and uses nothing else.
Mirror-signal-manoeuvre.

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:36 pm

RevJames wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:32 pm
I'm starting from scratch, so my options are open. Re. consumption, I'm guessing it'll be a while before I'm consistently producing quality/drinkable spirits, so I'm more focussed on the learning/education aspect of distilling than the consumption part right now. The local liquor store will still be getting my $$$ for the foreseeable.. ;)

Cheers,
Rev
I'm seeing someone taking time and not rushing.
Looked around and considered options.
Follow your star dude.
Do dig into the T500 posts in the archive, much information is there.
If you are not ready/able to self build. then a T500 may be the way for you.
ATB

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

RevJames

Post by RevJames » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:29 pm

gaza the instructor wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:38 pm
Rev
Have you had a read of this. It may change your mind regarding the Air Still.
If you follow this there is no reason why you cant produce the good stuff.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=76
Just click on the Air Still brief.
Ask Mash he swears by the AS and uses nothing else.
Yes Gaza,

Excellent read and a great blueprint for a new guy looking to understand the process. It has given me some more to think about, although I'm still leaning heavily toward the T500. I am relocating in a few weeks, so have a little time to mull things over before I make the jump once I'm in my new apartment.

RevJames

Post by RevJames » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Easydrinker wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:36 pm
RevJames wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:32 pm
I'm starting from scratch, so my options are open. Re. consumption, I'm guessing it'll be a while before I'm consistently producing quality/drinkable spirits, so I'm more focussed on the learning/education aspect of distilling than the consumption part right now. The local liquor store will still be getting my $$$ for the foreseeable.. ;)

Cheers,
Rev
I'm seeing someone taking time and not rushing.
Looked around and considered options.
Follow your star dude.
Do dig into the T500 posts in the archive, much information is there.
If you are not ready/able to self build. then a T500 may be the way for you.
ATB

Robert.
Yes Easy,

Found the old T500 posts. A great treasure trove of info. The more I read, the clearer it all becomes.

Cheers,
Rev

StillBrewing

Post by StillBrewing » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:23 pm

Rev

A lot of the reasons I went for the T500 were the same as what you are thinking, lack of space and versatility of it.

It really is a good machine and once you gain the experience you really will make a very, very good drop of neutral, much better than store bought crap. IIn the past I have thought about upgrading and making my own a few times but there is no valid reason why I should. It is easy to use, makes fantastic neutral, is big enough to keep me, friends and family supplied and is the perfect size that can be stored easily. Its also very easy to use once you get the hang of it as well.

Go for it, you have nothing to loose. Just remember though, what you put in it will determine what you get out of it. Bread yeast makes a great neutral compared to that Turbo stuff which was originally created to make fuel.

Good luck in your brewing/distilling journey.