T500 purchase advice for a noob

Info specific to the T500
RevJames
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Re: T500 purchase advice for a noob

Post by RevJames » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:48 pm

Ok, back with another noob question on the T500. Thought I'd keep it all to the same thread rather than clogging the forum up. Thanks for all of the help/guidance so far, almost at purchase point!

So, my understanding has always been that column mode is best for neutral/vodka/gin, whereas alembic/pot mode is better for whiskey/brandy/rum as the column will strip out too much of the flavor.. However, I'm on the milehidistilling.com website and on the homepage, they state that column stills are better for rums than pot stills..

I'm confused as this runs contrary to what I've read up on so far. Any thoughts/opinions on this? I'm a rum man, so rum production is one of my main goals. Especially keen on 'funky' or dark rums, so stripping that flavor out in a column doesn't seem like a wise move..

Cheers!
Rev

gaza the instructor

Post by gaza the instructor » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:31 am

The Alembic dome and condenser on the T500
Last edited by gaza the instructor on Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror-signal-manoeuvre.

Mash

Post by Mash » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:39 am

Here's the real answer to this THERE IS NO ONE WAY.

If you stick around here for a while you will find its actually a classroom! We are all learning DIFFERENT ways all the time.
The good news is you get to drink the homework!

I have intentionally used caps not to shout but to make the point - you gotta dive in and find your way. You will never get a recipe here that does abcdefghijklmnopq..rum. Its impossible.

Realistically, there are only two off-the-shelf entry-level stills. The AS or the T500. I think you have chosen between the two..

So here's the technical answer to you OP ....

My understanding is: columns run properly get a cleaner, purer, Higher% alc. Pot heads and pot type stills deliver a lower % and because of that they pass more flavours from the wash.

But also consider, flavour can come from any(or all) of 3 places - before, after & during stillin.

And rum is a BIG subject. For more detail I would have a good read of the archive.
RumJohn and Icefever are the guys to notice. "cachaca" might be for you also search 'rum'

In the meantime it onto Amazon and buy yourself a still! ...'cos by the time you have read that lot you will be itching to go!

Cheer fella. Happy days are coming.
To Gin-finity and beyond !

RevJames

Post by RevJames » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:30 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah, tallies with my previous reading, not sure why that site has rum as a column suitable spirit vs pot still. It's probably the place where I'll order the T500 from, so it jumped out to me as being contrary. I'll look up the RumJohn and Icefever threads. Great recommendation.

Anyways, think I'll start off with the column as there is more reading/instruction available on that. Run some sugar washes and try and make a reasonable neutral before progressing on to Rum and more complex flavors.

Cheers,
Rev

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:17 pm

For a from the front leading advocate of an Air-Still, Mash gave some good advice there.
The contrary/argueable advice that you may have receieved seems to have come from a sellers website.
I am not saying the product is not good, merely the advice.
Salesmen do not always understand their goods.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Mash

Post by Mash » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:31 am

Sometimes I surprise myself. :D

Leatherman
Valued Member

Post by Leatherman » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:41 am

From my personal experience I found T500 pot still useless. Bought one, used once or twice, sold. On my opinion its just to short. If you want to get something decent you would need to run it on very low power which would take ages. Otherwise its like running sprint. I would suggest buy column and when you want do pot run, run it empty

Mash

Post by Mash » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:03 am

Hello - didn't know you had joined us. Good to see you.
Have you tried Vinto Tinto's head ?

Leatherman
Valued Member

Post by Leatherman » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:45 am

Hi, I did introduced my self in Members section :)

No I didnt tried it. I have no need for it. I have bit different system now. If I need neutral I use t500 column with SSP (or SPP dont remember how are they called) and if I need pot, I have big 4inch pipe with condenser. Totally separate system.

RevJames

Post by RevJames » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:20 am

Leatherman wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:41 am
From my personal experience I found T500 pot still useless. Bought one, used once or twice, sold. On my opinion its just to short. If you want to get something decent you would need to run it on very low power which would take ages. Otherwise its like running sprint. I would suggest buy column and when you want do pot run, run it empty
Thanks Leatherman. Interesting take on the pot still setup. I think I read in another thread on here that someone was looking at using the column on empty rather that using the alembic. May opt for the copper version of the column as opposed to the steel version. Slightly more expensive, but would save in the long run if I didn't have to also purchase the alembic attachment for pot stilling. Anyone on here tried the T500 column without the packing? The original advice a few years back seemed to be negative on running that setup as it used to contain some synthetic parts which would be damaged/leached by the hot ethanol. I believe the more recent versions of the T500 column have got rid of the synthetic elements now, so I guess it's safe?