So... bakers yeast

Discuss fermentation, different types of wash, etc
User avatar
Curmudgeon
Valued Member / Donated to SS
Posts: 331
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 5:07 am
Location: Causeway Coast

Re: So... bakers yeast

Post by Curmudgeon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:36 am

I am interested while unconvinced.

Most of us have no trouble with infections etc even though we are not fastidious with sterilising and I suspect do not always use airlocks.

Speed for me is back round the mobius loop of stressing the yeast and potentially having nutrients left over when the sugar is done or (less likely) the yeast has hit it's max and got alcohol poisoning.
Slowly slowly, catchy funky

Don't stress the yeast

User avatar
Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS
Posts: 1730
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:15 am
Location: The Hills of Lowland Scotland

Re: So... bakers yeast

Post by Easydrinker » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:37 pm

In the last couple of hundred washes, or mashes, I have had six get infected.
All in summertime.
I have managed to use all the product, bar one, a Belgian beer that it not coming good, so when still space allows, I will play.

I love having to look up new words, Mobious was the word of today.

One day Curmudgeon, when you have time and FV space, split a wash and double the yeasties in one bucket, you may be surprised.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

User avatar
Mash
Valued Member / Donated to SS
Posts: 1714
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:25 pm
Location: In front of PC.

Re: So... bakers yeast

Post by Mash » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:59 am

I often find that wheat in a wash tends to up tiger chances of infection
To Gin-finity and beyond !

User avatar
Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS
Posts: 1730
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:15 am
Location: The Hills of Lowland Scotland

Re: So... bakers yeast

Post by Easydrinker » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:01 am

Mash wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:59 am
I often find that wheat in a wash tends to up tiger chances of infection
Not sure where the tiger come's into play?
You really do need to take your spellckecher/speech engine to task here mate, I know what you are trying to say :D
I am hoping to inform Newbies with less knowledge.

I currenntly use a ittle wheat for it's supposed head retention.
Not sure that I like what it brings to the party, flavour wise.
But I live and learn.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Swedish Pride
Valued Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:36 am

Re: So... bakers yeast

Post by Swedish Pride » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:26 am

I always get infections in grain washes, I've read that once you get lacto in your fermenter it's hard to get out of it even with starsan.
I leave the ferments for a few months , hence the infections, I think i could get much less lacto if i ran as soon as it was finished but I never seem to get around to it. besides, lacto makes for an interesting drink.
this is what i work with most of the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r2yrBkSwao

User avatar
Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS
Posts: 1730
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:15 am
Location: The Hills of Lowland Scotland

Re: So... bakers yeast

Post by Easydrinker » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:42 pm

Mine are never THAT bad!
I wash affected fermenters with mucho common household chlorine bleach, it takes a lot of rinsing, but it does deal with the nasties.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

User avatar
Mash
Valued Member / Donated to SS
Posts: 1714
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:25 pm
Location: In front of PC.

Re: So... bakers yeast

Post by Mash » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:44 am

Easydrinker wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:42 pm
Mine are never THAT bad!
I wash affected fermenters with mucho common household chlorine bleach, it takes a lot of rinsing, but it does deal with the nasties.

Robert.
I store all my fermenters with a splash of junkohol.
If they had it before they ain't got it after a couple of days! ain't nothing survives in 40%

Boiling water is good, Steam is better still. Not a fan on chlorine based products they can cause problems down the line.
To Gin-finity and beyond !

User avatar
Mash
Valued Member / Donated to SS
Posts: 1714
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:25 pm
Location: In front of PC.

Re: So... bakers yeast

Post by Mash » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:13 am

There is a world of difference between an accidental infection & that video. That is an example of just bad hygiene [unless that is what he wants*]

We all use the phrase "finished wash" that really is a misnomer. By starting the wash, we start a process. A process of feeding various microorganisms. When we get it bang on we STOP this slow process at the right place. For most of us that place is where the little beasties have made alcohol for us to enjoy. If we don't the process continues and lactobacillus, acetobacter or some other genus will carry on and eat out lunch ( or drink our wine in this case).

Please don't take offence but you have answered your own question.
Leaving a finished wash (AKA wine) for 4 months is always going to create problems.
Would you leave a bottle of wine open for 4 months and expect it to be okay?
After its finished 2-3 weeks max, run it, freeze it or bottle/cask (whatever method). Wine is unstable by nature and needs to be managed. When the fermentation is done you have to secure it. Otherwise it will get away.

* there is a whole industry that makes 'sour beer' - it is what they want. If its what you want thats great.
Perhaps also consider if you continually run these you could end up with an environment (house or shed) that could prove hard to cleanse. Yeast and bacterium do tend to colonise [Wrong word, but I can't think of a better one] areas such as cellars and breweries.

PS Reading through this. It sounds a bit schoolmistress.. It isn't intended that way.
To Gin-finity and beyond !

Swedish Pride
Valued Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:36 am

Re: So... bakers yeast

Post by Swedish Pride » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:56 am

Not bad hygiene, just left it long. I fairly like the flavours the infections add but the real reason for leaving it that long is that I'm lazy.
In saying that if the flavours the infection brought would not agree with me I'm sure I'd run it quicker ( maybe).

It's somewhat different from leaving an opened bottle of whine as the wine don't have a protective co2 layer on top of as you have in a "finished" ferment.
The only infection I get is from what's already in the barrel, eg the grain or a dirty barrel.

Some even add yogurt to it to introduce a lacto infection.

User avatar
Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS
Posts: 1730
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:15 am
Location: The Hills of Lowland Scotland

Re: So... bakers yeast

Post by Easydrinker » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:38 pm

Mash wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:13 am
There is a world of difference between an accidental infection & that video. That is an example of just bad hygiene [unless that is what he wants*]

We all use the phrase "finished wash" that really is a misnomer. By starting the wash, we start a process. A process of feeding various microorganisms. When we get it bang on we STOP this slow process at the right place. For most of us that place is where the little beasties have made alcohol for us to enjoy. If we don't the process continues and lactobacillus, acetobacter or some other genus will carry on and eat out lunch ( or drink our wine in this case).

Please don't take offence but you have answered your own question.
Leaving a finished wash (AKA wine) for 4 months is always going to create problems.
Would you leave a bottle of wine open for 4 months and expect it to be okay?
After its finished 2-3 weeks max, run it, freeze it or bottle/cask (whatever method). Wine is unstable by nature and needs to be managed. When the fermentation is done you have to secure it. Otherwise it will get away.

* there is a whole industry that makes 'sour beer' - it is what they want. If its what you want thats great.
Perhaps also consider if you continually run these you could end up with an environment (house or shed) that could prove hard to cleanse. Yeast and bacterium do tend to colonise [Wrong word, but I can't think of a better one] areas such as cellars and breweries.

PS Reading through this. It sounds a bit schoolmistress.. It isn't intended that way.
I agree with this post.
But disagree with Mash's previous.
For the reasons that he recites here, colonisation of your brew space
If you have an unwanted infection, hit your equipment hard, forget Starsan and the such.
The only problem with chlorine bleach is thorough rinsing, after.
After that you can revert to junkahol as a sanitiser.
Oh, and slosh the bleach around your brew-space if able.
Just my opinion. ;)

Robert.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Post Reply