Valued Member / Donated to SS

Re: Yet more wash issues

Post by Curmudgeon » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:58 pm

Jennysgin wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:02 pm
This is quite an interesting read

https://beerliever.com/bleach-no-rinse- ... wing-beer/
Interesting indeed.

I always rinse my dishes after washing in order to get rid of the last of the green fairies, but have never considered that I am re-introducing new potential nasties.

I might need a new still to enable distillation of all water :D
Slowly slowly, catchy funky

Don't stress the yeast

Mash

Post by Mash » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:38 am

Curmudgeon wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:58 pm
Jennysgin wrote:

Interesting indeed.

I always rinse my dishes after washing in order to get rid of the last of the green fairies, but have never considered that I am re-introducing new potential nasties.

I might need a new still to enable distillation of all water :D
In Africa if you wash up they use a very hot water & things are left to dry because potentially the tea-towel introduces new bugs.
To Gin-finity and beyond !

Mash

Post by Mash » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:42 am

StillBrewing wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:11 pm
When I used to make wine everything was sterilized as a matter of course. It used to take me ages to get prepped but nowadays I don't sterilize at all. I might have been lucky with about the 50 or so washes I have created but never had a problem with infection whilst using bread yeast. A good wash with hot, soapy water and a good rinse is the way I do it nowadays.
With all fermentations. I do not use sterilisers or sanitisers.

Why? Because WE were all making the perfect thing for the job.

All my fermenters, bottles & tanks get a splash of neutral in them after I have washed clean. Not only does it satisfy me. They are hygienic enough [careful choice of words there] But it also makes the process very easy - when you want them you drain them. If there is a little bit of alcohol left it really doesn't matter. The perfect no rinse product.

When was the last time you saw a bottle of gin go off !!!!

PS Be aware that if not thoroughly rinsed chlorine based cleaners [bleach] can react with alcohol and produce off flavours.

gaza the instructor

Post by gaza the instructor » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:54 am

I saw a bottle of Gin go off last night Mash.
Down my throat. :lol: :lol:
Mirror-signal-manoeuvre.

gaza the instructor

Post by gaza the instructor » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:58 am

In all honesty I do use a non rinse steriliser, I think its just habit
and a bit of overkill. When I have washed and cleaned them I
have a squirty bottle with fores in it and spray each one.
Mirror-signal-manoeuvre.

Mash

Post by Mash » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:47 am

gaza the instructor wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:54 am
I saw a bottle of Gin go off last night Mash.
Down my throat. :lol: :lol:
While I was writing this post, I really tried to think of something witty along those lines for you, buddy!

phantom

Post by phantom » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:49 am

StillBrewing wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:11 pm
When I used to make wine everything was sterilized as a matter of course. It used to take me ages to get prepped but nowadays I don't sterilize at all. I might have been lucky with about the 50 or so washes I have created but never had a problem with infection whilst using bread yeast. A good wash with hot, soapy water and a good rinse is the way I do it nowadays.

Have sterilizers like Starsan been discontinued. Was reading something about the lack of availability of it on a homebrew Facebook group yesterday.
No, but some of them e.g. Starsan, is a US product so not always easily sourced (similar to other "acid wash" sanitisers - most of those are alkaline/base, not acidic)..........

phantom

Post by phantom » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:58 am

Jennysgin wrote:

The reason that bleach is generally considered a "no-no", is because it's hypochorite based and is very, very persistant i.e. you have to rinse forever to get rid of it - both the smell and the chemical traces, as both have the potential to cause problems with the yeast and resulting ferment.

There's many other chems you can use, including the home made sanitiser from "First Steps in Winemaking" - 5 campden tablets crushed made up to 1 pint with water, then to release the sulphites properly, you add 1 tsp of citric acid. That can be kept in a hand spray and used liberally on all the kit that will touch the ferment.

To clean first, just soap, hot water and a good rinse works fine, then spray the sanitiser liquid over all the surfaces that will contact the fermenting wash, let it have 2 or 3 minutes of contact time then just pour out or shake off the excess.

Works well, and I did this for years (meads, wines, cider, wash etc) - I do have both oxy-clean and Starsan now I know where to find them.........

Mash

Post by Mash » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:55 pm

I have a don't let it get dirty policy. Much easier. For everything else there is truck wash.

StillBrewing

Post by StillBrewing » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:06 pm

Mash wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:55 pm
I have a don't let it get dirty policy. Much easier. For everything else there is truck wash.
That's just about my policy as well. A good wash and a rinse when used and then put away with lids on until next time. Open up a quick wash and rinse, ready to go.

If I'm using equipment from the shed that hasn't been used in ages I might treat it to a spray of 6 year old out of date Videne that has been made up with a double dose :)