UJSSM

Discuss fermentation, different types of wash, etc
billythekid
Valued Member

UJSSM

Post by billythekid » Sun May 19, 2019 2:30 pm

I just started my first batch of simple sour mash.
After 3 runs of the standard Still Spirits recipe and products, and I'm looking forward to a whole new set of fun!

Bill

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Re: UJSSM

Post by Easydrinker » Mon May 20, 2019 12:21 am

Things can only get better!
Have some fun and some good product.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

billythekid
Valued Member

Post by billythekid » Sat May 25, 2019 9:20 pm

Almost one week, and it's bubbling slowly along. A gurgle about every 12 to 16 seconds, depending on ambient air temp. Much slower than the Turbo and sugar wash I've done, but that's expected.

I'll give it another week or three.

Bill

gaza the instructor
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Post by gaza the instructor » Sat May 25, 2019 10:47 pm

Just love a drop of corn moonshine. Down to my last DJ full so
wont be long now.
Mirror-signal-manoeuvre.

Goog
Valued Member

Post by Goog » Sun May 26, 2019 10:57 am

I usually give mine 2 weeks to ferment and then another week to clear. Think I am up to gen 11 or 12 and they all seem to take the same time.
It Ain't Rocket Science

billythekid
Valued Member

Post by billythekid » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:50 pm

I'm now on generation 5. This is my first series of UJSSM ferments, so I'm still new at this particular process. I started with the usual online recipe of 7 lbs of cracked corn, but substituted 7 lbs of flaked corn, I also substituted 8 lbs of corn sugar (instead of 7 lbs of cane sugar), and also substituted 10 grams of EC1118 yeast (instead of 50 grams of bread yeast), and topped off with water to 5 gallons in the fermenter. My intentions with the substitutions was to hopefully create a smoother, better tasting product.

After the first generation was finished and racked off, I followed the online instruction to replace 25% - 50% of the corn by volume (I did 50%). I noticed that, as the replacement corn swelled up, the total corn in the fermenter was much more than the original amount. Through experiment I have concluded that 2.5 lbs of fresh corn will swell up to replace the 50% by volume of spent corn I've removed.

Another thing is, I'm not seeing a lot of spent corn residue. To the point where, removal of the whiteish colored spent corn would be much less than the 25% minimum called for in the online recipe. Rather than go minimal 25% removal, I've taken to let all of the corn remain for 2 generations, then remove 50% and add back 2.5 lbs of fresh corn.

Each odd numbered fermenter batch is put through a strip run and saved until it's sequential even numbered batch is stripped. Then both strips are mixed, diluted, and put through a spirit run. I end up with about a gallon of hearts, and almost a gallon of feints. At some point I'll do an all feints run.
My first all hearts spirit batch rested on 80 grams of JD chips for 2 months (tasting each week) before we were pleased. It's gone now, but our second all hearts batch will be 2 months old come next weekend. I expect it to taste different because of the experimental changes I've made along the way. We'll see how it turns out.

I hope that, by posting what I've experienced, helps others in some way,
Bill

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:44 pm

That is fantastic.
Your experience and write up!
Truly inspirational.
Thank You.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

myles

Post by myles » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:11 am

There is an alternative to the all feints spirit run, if you have boiler capacity.

You can do a spirit run with a blended boiler charge of 60% low wines and 40% feints.

It might be worth a try.

billythekid
Valued Member

Post by billythekid » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Thank you Robert!

Myles, I've read a little about that, but chose to do it this way for my first time around. I figure, if I can get some experience at doing it the less complicated way, perhaps I'll have a greater ability to control the more complicated processes next time around.

Bill

Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:16 pm

Thanks Bill. That's really interesting and I'm glad it's working out.
Slowly slowly, catchy funky

Don't stress the yeast