Glasfiber / epoxy

Built or modified a still? Designed a great gadget? Tell us here!
piglets
Valued Member

Glasfiber / epoxy

Post by piglets » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:49 am

Hello all,

I'm not sure if I will actually do it in the end... But my mind has been crunching some ideas over the last couple of days. And the idea is to build a custom conical fermenter out of epoxy or polyester and glassfiber laminate.

I do not seem to be able to dig up a lot on this topic on the internet. Does anybody know if it is foodgrade or if there are special foodgrade epoxys or top coats?

Anybody thoughts on the foodgrade part or anybody who has seen or heard about a similar project?

StillDave
Valued Member

Re: Glasfiber / epoxy

Post by StillDave » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:31 pm

My initial reaction is to hope that you have got a good funeral plan......but what do I know? :o
What do we want?
A cure for alzheimers!
When do we want it?
Want what?

Curmudgeon
Moderator/Donated to SS

Post by Curmudgeon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:08 pm

I had a quick look on amazon and there are definitely food grade surface stuffs out there.

As one with no skills, if I wanted a conical fermenter I'd be tempted by fastferment ones at about £80 odd quid for wall mounted or about £100 including astand

https://www.geterbrewed.com/fast-fermen ... collector/
Slowly slowly, catchy funky

Don't stress the yeast

Mash
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Post by Mash » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:32 pm

First thought. Dangerous. Second thought. Why do you need a conical fermenter?
To Gin-finity and beyond !

gaza the instructor

Post by gaza the instructor » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:09 pm

Piglets, even if you did construct one,all your product would taste like canoe!!
Then you would become ill with some strange exotic sounding toxic disease
like galloping knob rot, or spotty mouldoom.
Buy one if you must,but what is wrong with these.
https://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/30-litre-bucket-with-lid/
Cheap and very good.
Mirror-signal-manoeuvre.

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:00 pm

I have contructed, filled and drunk water from glass fibre and gelcoated water tanks.
Seemingly with no ill effect. And no bad taste transfer.
Food grade does not mean alcohol grade.
I would hesitate a while before proceeding with your proposal
JMO.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Mash

Post by Mash » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:23 am

Gaza. Brilliant lmao. Might never recover from "canoe flavour "

Seriously. Conical fermenters are a commercial solution to a problem that only exists at huge volume. I don't get it, cos it is a solution for a problem we don't have.

piglets
Valued Member

Post by piglets » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:59 pm

Why?

Well for starters I like diy, building something and figuring out how to do it. Alway's wanted to make some kind of usefull fibreglass/carbon/aramide laminate; but perhaps now is not the time and this specific project is not the project.

But why a conical (and/or make it myself):
- Possibility to let the sediment drop by gravity and settle out, and seperate it through a butterfly valve
- you can for example let it settle in a mason jar (if you make a mason jar); being transparent helps monitoring the process of clearing, being replacable helps with fast swapping/changing out and with storage/freezing in of used yeast for next brews. This saves you money with some rather expensive beer yeasts and some say the yeast tastes better after a few times reusing the yeast.
- Possibility to do second fermentation/first aging/clearing/lagering in the same vessel. Which is a big plus for me being a beer brewer aswell; you could even rack/bottle out of the same vessel.
- Not having to siphon over between vessels reduces and maybe even eliminates the oxidation (beer again).
- Designing it myself makes sure it fits exactly in my freezer for coldcrashing and or temp controlled fermentation.
- If you are able to pressurize the vessel you might even be able to ferment under pressure and/or transfer the beer with CO2 -> no oxidation, no hassle and you might even use it as a keg and connect it to a tap (fermentasaurus).

However you made me rething; maybe I should buy a more comercial option (fermentasaurus) and invest some money in my brewarea instead and build a temp controlled fermentation chamber in which a fermentasaurus fits. I do have a extra fridge that I use for beverages in my bar... so...

Mash

Post by Mash » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:47 pm

I have never seen the point of conicals but each to their own. I think you will find out more of a PITA than a benefit.

Curmudgeon
Moderator/Donated to SS

Post by Curmudgeon » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:48 am

I mentioned a sub £100 one earlier in the thread. I see it has mixed reviews. I would buy one and test it's merits and flaws before starting manufacture of your improved version.
Slowly slowly, catchy funky

Don't stress the yeast