Kveik

Discussion about the making of non-distilled alcoholic drinks
piglets
Valued Member

Kveik

Post by piglets » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:02 pm

Hello there,

I am currently not brewing or distilling since I am on holidays and in a few days I'll be back. I've used the spare time it presented to do some reading and research about Kveik. Apparently it's the next hot thing in the homebrewing scene.

So what is it? Well it is yeast, kveik is a Norwegian word for yeast to be exact. Kveik yeast originates from farms where they have been brewing farmhouse ale for centuries. Passing the "family" yeast and recipes on from father to son, sometimes for centuries. These kveiks have some key features they share and yet every strain mutated in a different way giving very different flavours, some flavours unknown to the yeasts that we are known to.

Other kveikian aspects are:
- high attenuation
- high flocuation
- high ABV (12-16%)
- fermemtable at very high temperature without much off flavours (some ferment up to 35-42celsius)
- fast fermentation (starting in half an hour to 3 hours is not unusual, fermentation within 2-3 days and carbonating and ready to drink in a week not uncommon). Which is fast, especially for beer yeasts.
- very nice estery flavour profiles
- these flavour profiles benefit from underpitching
- all Norwegian strains known up to today are able to be easily harvested from your brew, dried out and can be kept in the freezer for decades unlike many other yeasts
- or stored in a pot/liquid in your refrigerator for up to 6 months and still very active and vital
- most kveik yeasts are multi strain yeasts, and some have bacteria in them adding to the complexity

Getting the non commercial, and therefore the non isolated thing can that is close to the original essence of kveik can be hard, but makes it more interesting if you ask me.

Sounds interesting right?

I'm currently getting my hands on 3 strains, and I am hoping to try them soon. Have to get going now, but I'll post some more information and links soon. Needed to share my enthusiasm with some urgence tho

Some articles:
How Lars Marius Garshol came into contact with Kveik in 2014: http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/291.html
How to use Kveik by Lars (2018): http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html
Registry with known and documented Kveik strains in last years: http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/far ... kveik.html
Some more about Kveik by Milk the Funk: http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Kveik
Last edited by piglets on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mash
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Re: Kveik

Post by Mash » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:49 pm

That does indeed sound interesting.

When you say "getting your hands on" ? Are you bringing some back liquid form, or have you ordered them online (white labs ) ?
To Gin-finity and beyond !

piglets
Valued Member

Post by piglets » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:51 pm

Some harvested and dried non-commercial multi strains from a fellow homebrewer.

Might be able to send one over after brewing and re-harvesting.

gaza the instructor

Post by gaza the instructor » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:33 pm

Liquid form Mash, she would make me wear Boxing gloves. :lol:
Mirror-signal-manoeuvre.

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:48 pm

Quite fascinating!
Having played with re-pitching beer yeast myself, although only for half a dozen times.
I have read somewhere of Viking familes owning and passing down the traditional beer brewing stirring stick, obviously impregnated with the family's own strain of yeast, from the previous brew, while unaware of why it worked.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Mash

Post by Mash » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:26 am

piglets wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:51 pm
Some harvested and dried non-commercial multi strains from a fellow homebrewer.

Might be able to send one over after brewing and re-harvesting.
That would be great.
I freeze active yeast and repitch. I also have some recipes that would suit.

piglets
Valued Member

Post by piglets » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:00 am

On glycol or waterbase? I always understood waterbase freezed yeast would be bad practice?

Mash

Post by Mash » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:59 pm

piglets wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:00 am
On glycol or waterbase? I always understood waterbase freezed yeast would be bad practice?
Yup, read the articles on glycol - fiddled about with it.
...and went back to using pop bottles of active beer. Figured if yeast managed to survive an ice age, it can manage a couple weeks in my freezer at -15 C.

I always let them come up to temperature on their own, never had one not start.

Mash

Post by Mash » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:02 pm

I have my posted yeast to friends in frozen pop bottles - they arrive the next day, almost thawed and ready to go.

I think I'm lucky with yeast - me & the wee yeasty beasties seem to understand each other.

piglets
Valued Member

Post by piglets » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:41 pm

Interesting, I am reading about drying Kveik, freezing other yeasts, raw/unboiled ales. Looks like all knowledge I gathered the past 5 years are being tested.

We might have found ourselves a best practise and created a big set of rules around it but it seems some rules can be simply ignored and maybe even crossed out of the books for ever.