Off neutral

Filtering spirits after distillation
Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Re: Off neutral

Post by Easydrinker » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:17 am

I admit to being Mr. Low-tech here.
If you have fliexible tube anywhere in the filter system,use a BULLDOG clip to slow the transfer, if needed.
My Essencia runs at .5 Lits an hour on a good day.
In the end, the only thing that matters is that you and Mrs stiller like the product. :)

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Swedish Pride
Valued Member

Post by Swedish Pride » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:01 am

I'm the worst when it comes to neutral advice as I have shitpoor taste buds ( i even use UJ for high% infusions :oops: )
However I've been stilling and reading about stilling for a good bit so feel I can weigh in on the theoretical lack of taste.

I've read some good reports on lads filling a demi with 45% booze that is to be filtered and then adding a cup of activated carbon. Let it sit for a week and shake it up every day or so, then just filter it out through what ever medium you prefer, speed does not matter, just need to get rid of the carbon.

This is what I would do if I was to filter, I like low cost low effort ideas.

Northern Stiller
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Post by Northern Stiller » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:52 pm

Thanks guys

The neutral is a lot better now I had nearly 2 litres of carbon, I've soaked the carbon in some of the alcohol and sealed in a histology container that I liberated from work. Thanks Myles by cleaning I presume you mean heating in the oven ?

I've ordered a 2 inch triclamp end with 1/4 inch thread and a stainless needle valve from China.
for the grand total of £10 so managed a low cost solution.

Thanks Robert and Swedish for your suggestions I will use in the future.Le:thumbsup:

Lee
Deja pooh. I've seen this shit before :chart_with_downwards_trend:

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:17 pm

Way back, before I bought an Essencia, I would pour neutral into 2 litre bottles and add 1 Dsp of carbon to each.
I would shake/invert them every time that I remembered for about 10 days.
I would then put them in the freezer for 24 hours before carefully pouring off.The freezer helps the carbon sit on the bottle base, no straining needed.
It is low cost.
The Essencia costs a little more, but is less effort.
We should all try stuff and find what works for ourselves. :)

Robert.

Edit. I don't re-cycle my carbon, I find that the frequency of changing it that the Essencia manual recommends is fine,
And fairly low cost.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D