Jonx69
Valued Member

Re: wine - dried apple powder

Post by Jonx69 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:50 am

Mash wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:15 am
Jonx69 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:13 pm

That would mean you don't use the top plate or pump during the mash? Would you mind sharing your method?

Here you go..

Long before BAC started making these, I was using this during brewday.
#1 At mash in. Set up the BM. Bottom filter & liquor in. Drop the paddle over the centre rod - it rotates freely.
Add grains - agitate the paddle to increase the mixing. Once done, remove and seal the tube as normal.

#2 After Chill. Drop the paddle over the centre rod - turn a couple of time's easiest whirpool ever. TIP .. for best performance keep turning as you lift out.
Thanks for the info, I bought the BAC brewing one, but I'ts a bit too big and needs to attach to a drill, I may dig it out and try for mashing in, I hadn't thought of using it for that.

Mash
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Post by Mash » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:28 pm

BAC missed the point IMO. Yes their's is too big and never ever needed a drill. Some of their stuff is good (course replacement filter plates) but a few items show they do not brew enough and test stuff. Or they they solve a problem that didn't exist in hot pursuit of the €. But as long as you know that's fine.

Laterly I think they brought out a crank handle for the paddle.
To Gin-finity and beyond !

Mash
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Post by Mash » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:39 am

Mash wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:27 am
I think Robert and I are genuinely fascinated.. You use more hops than brewdog :D
Came across this recently and thought of this thread. Though I would share.

What follows is an extract from an article Scott Janish wrote for a magazine.

Scott Janish wrote:
Late whirlpool hopping is important for achieving hop saturated flavor because the fruity hop compounds are lost in the boil due to evaporation and trub. One paper found that linalool losses can be as high as 80% of the original concentration within just five minutes of boiling.8 In fact, hydrocarbons from hops have been shown to peak almost immediately when added to boiling wort and then start their decline.9 Sensory tests also show beers that are whirlpool hopped scored higher for estery-fruity and fruity-citrus flavors than beers that were only dry hopped.10 In that study, beers were made with Simcoe® hops with additions at either 60 minutes, 20-minute whirlpool (right after the boil, no cooling was done), and dry hop only (for 48 hours).

So, incorporating late whirlpool hops is an important step to getting hop flavor but factors such as whirlpool temperatures can also play a role as late hopping at 185 °F (85 °C) retained slightly more measured linalool compared to warmer at 203 °F (95 °C) or cooler at 167 °F (75 °C). Sensory differences between the different temperatures showed that beers late-hopped at 203 °F (95 °C) scored highest for citrusy, spicy, and ester descriptors. The 185 °F (85 °C) late hop temperature scored higher for floral and herbal descriptors. The 167 °F (75 °C) hop addition scored the lowest in nearly every category except for the sylvan (woody) characteristic.11 Lowering the temperature of the whirlpool will also lower the isomerization of alpha-acids to iso-alpha-acids, potentially allowing for larger hop additions for flavor vs. bitterness.

Another variable to consider in late-hopping is the hop variety used. Especially looking towards the oxygen fraction of a hop variety as an indicator of its predicted aroma intensity as low oxygen fraction = less intensity, high oxygen fraction = more intensity.12 So, hops high in compounds like geraniol and linalool (part of the oxygen fraction) as well as high in total oil are likely to have a greater impact on hop flavor intensity. Examples of such varieties are Brewers Gold, Centennial, Bravo, Citra®, EkuanotTM, Olympic, Simcoe®, Mosaic®, and CTZ.
Some good recipes too.. Scottjanis.com
To Gin-finity and beyond !

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:51 am

Move along.
Unless you are contributing about dried apple powder, this topic is closed to you. :lol:

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D