Distilling Wine

The distillation process itself
Goog
Valued Member

Re: Distilling Wine

Post by Goog » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:21 pm

jacquie wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:26 pm
I don't know why it surprises me, cos this little air still turns out to be way more versatile than i expected, First 13 DJ's all had wine - i made brandy, my next questions are, do I have to dilute it to age it it's currently 65%, and whats the best this to age it with - TIA - jack
Jacque, I age all my spirits at between 62 and 67% as have read that this is the best range. I use demijohns and ad my oak at around 11 to 17 grams per litre depending on what I am trying to achieve. French oak colours and flavours a lot quicker than American so you may use a bit less. Depends on your tastes. My advice (and I am no expert) would be leave it as it is at 65% and add around the 13-14 grams per litre of French Oak sticks and leave it in a dark spot for 6 months maybe opening the top of the Demi ever couple of weeks to legit breath.
It Ain't Rocket Science

jacquie
Valued Member

Post by jacquie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:54 pm

Easydrinker wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:58 pm
jacquie wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:26 pm
(ED even if you are a random stranger on the interweb) you are all stars and I would hand out blue peter badges and crackerjack pencils to all of you - cheers - jack
I'll accept that as damning with feint praise!
You have enough to play with, if you can get your hands on some BBQ chips try it, If you can't just shut it away in a dark cupboard.
If you have access to clean Oak wood and a blow torch. then you can play!

Robert.
I just had to look up that phrase, the praise was genuinely meant, especially for you and the other mods who all deserve medals too for answering my ceaseless newbie questions, i am honestly really grateful for all the help. I Will definately get some bbq chips and try, not sure if they'd let me play with a blow torch, :fire:fire_engine:cry:

ps, i am so stealing the word interweb from you
I'm not under the afluence of incohol - though some feeple pink I am......

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:19 am

Steal away, dear girl.
I am here to facillitate, and every reaction that I get, I view as a positive one. :)

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Mash
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Post by Mash » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:13 am

Bit of each then.

Try a small aquarium pump with a stainless stone on some this smooths out spirits.

Try some one 10g per litre oak. The flavour you are taking is really alloak. There is little in the spirit. Taste regularly to monitor progress of course.

I tsp / litre sugar can have a stunning effect without really testing sweet. It adds to the mouth feel. Glycerine is similar but 1tsp/gal.

Keep some heads in a jar. You might what to add some back.

Grape spirit will make good nuked JD!
To Gin-finity and beyond !

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:46 am

Where else could you come for such quality advise? :)

Robert.
There is no ONE way.

jacquie
Valued Member

Post by jacquie » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:35 am

2 air still running for 3 days solid, heated the wine up to 60% before sticking it in, have stripped 17 dj's, and made 3 ltr of brandy so far, used some to stall the grape wash to make port, gonna spirit run the rest today and set to playing with ageing/flavouring etc, of the rest 1 is vinegar and the rest look/taste like drinkable wine, i am knackered and sick of the sound of air still but happy with results so far, thanks everyone for help/advice - cheers - jack

Mash
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Post by Mash » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:08 pm

We need to have a chat about freezers...
To Gin-finity and beyond !

jacquie
Valued Member

Post by jacquie » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:37 pm

Mash wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:08 pm
We need to have a chat about freezers...
we so do, am in the process of getting electric supply taken out to the garage so that i can explore the freezer option - following your freezer thread but will probably have many questions once power and freezer installed - this small venture is starting to cost a fortune but it's a really addictive hobby :)

jacquie
Valued Member

Post by jacquie » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:24 pm

next question, do i re-run heads and tails, together or separately I would usually throw in the next stripping run rather than waste it but not sure about mixing flavours - rum wash next in list of to dos - tia - cheers - jack

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:45 pm

jacquie wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:35 am
2 air still running for 3 days solid, heated the wine up to 60% before sticking it in, have stripped 17 dj's, and made 3 ltr of brandy so far, used some to stall the grape wash to make port, gonna spirit run the rest today and set to playing with ageing/flavouring etc, of the rest 1 is vinegar and the rest look/taste like drinkable wine, i am knackered and sick of the sound of air still but happy with results so far, thanks everyone for help/advice - cheers - jack
That sounds like an epic!
Take a couple of days off and chill. :)

Robert
There is no ONE way.