Well that was different ...

A place for general discussion
Forum rules
Remember! Be NICE!!!
Boozoid
Valued Member

Well that was different ...

Post by Boozoid » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:00 pm

A few years back I failed to make a neutral I was happy with, I got bored with distilling and went off to do other things. The product was hot and kinda burnt my nose. Last month I figured I have another crack at.
I dusted the Boka Still off and I bought a couple of stainless needle valves replacing some that had corroded and knocked up a pot still attachment to the boiler for stripping runs, so eliminating any contamination of the still packing from the wash. I also placed a roll of copper mesh just under the slant plates as the still is all stainless and has 4ft of stainless scrubbers as packing.
I made up 50L of Birdwatchers Tomatoe paste wash using bread yeast; I had previously only used Vodka Star wash. The Tom paste wash took around 3 weeks to munch its way thru the sugar, which is incredibly slow given it was kept at 25c. I then cleared with a little gelatine and cold crashing.

So yesterday I fired up my Boka with a 30% stripped charge and got it up to temp, and then backed right off on the power to the point it was just maintaining a stable temp around 1Kw. I’d read the other day that if there is too much activity in the coulomb it mixes up the various components and smears them out. So by reducing the power I was hoping to really compress the fores and heads. On my previous attempts years back I think I was running full power, so loads of reflux.
I let the still equalise for an hour and then slowly opened up the tap at about 1 drip a second. I took off a good amount for fores.. Strangely there was no real smell to it.
I then took off the heads at the same rate…. Again no real bad smells or acrid nose burning. Nothing like my previous attempts, It was abit like distilling for the first time all over again, as nothing was familiar.
I then turned up the heat a little 1.5kw for more reflux and removed the hearts at 95%
So this morning I had a nose in the shed to inspect the product after airing out in 500ml Jars. The hearts jars are perfectly neutral, no off smells or tastes whatsoever. No carbon cleanup required. Heck ..even the heads jars smell way better than my previous attempts hearts.

So having changed so many factors in one go.. What’s the cause of my huge improvement? The wash?, proper wash clearing, stripping runs, copper addition, low power on the fores and heads.
At the moment my money is on the wash ..due to the fact the fores and heads don’t really smell bad. I have a batch of Vodka star bubbling away (id forgotten what Id previously used) .. so if my product stinks again I’ll have a clue.

Mash
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Re: Well that was different ...

Post by Mash » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:55 pm

My money is on your "knowledge" has made the difference. Tasted it yet?
To Gin-finity and beyond !

Boozoid
Valued Member

Post by Boozoid » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:22 pm

Aye, twas suppin some earlier. Tastes like a nice clean vodka.... Now I need to convert it to something else. The wife is interested in making a Gin botanical basket of her liking to dangle in the pot still. I also picked up a bag of JD smoking oaks chips to soak.

Northern Stiller

Post by Northern Stiller » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:14 pm

Congrats Boozoids

I'm with mash your knowledge and patience is probably the difference.
Deja pooh. I've seen this shit before :chart_with_downwards_trend:

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:28 pm

Happy to hear of your of your success!
Knowledge and foreknowledge/experience must surely be your friends here.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Jennysgin

Post by Jennysgin » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:46 pm

Glad that you're pleased with your product :+1:
Good luck with your comparisons and flavour experiments!

Mash

Post by Mash » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:04 am

Well done.
Boozoid wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:22 pm
Aye, twas suppin some earlier. Tastes like a nice clean vodka.... Now I need to convert it to something else. The wife is interested in making a Gin botanical basket of her liking to dangle in the pot still. I also picked up a bag of JD smoking oaks chips to soak.
Nuking JD will not disappoint. Slight bit of honey helps.

"dangling" concerns me. Design it so the vapour goes through the basket.. Do not let the vapour get around it too easily. Also give the bots room to move, don't ram them in. Sieves work well as a starting point just find a way to keep it over the output.
To Gin-finity and beyond !

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:24 pm

I forgot to thank you Boozoid, for the detailed post.

The more detail, the better the quality of response.
Information is key.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:51 pm

Yep, you definitely dived in heads first at the start, hence getting burny.
Slowly slowly, catchy funky

Don't stress the yeast

Boozoid
Valued Member

Post by Boozoid » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:29 pm

Yesterday I diluted down to 40% and ran some thru the Essencia carbon filter for laughs and added a little glycerin and ice.... wow, its smooth as anything I've ever drunk. Well Chuffed.
Unfortunately we don't have a microwave, so today I placed a 500ml jar in a water filled pot on the stove. 50g of wood, topped up with 40% and 3 heat cycles later ..its very good. I think I'd like a little more oak in the next batch, but very quaffable.

With regards the Gin, I'll have to work something out basket wise, the pot still is an odd size near 3" diameter. Shopping at the market with my vernier calipers always gets me odd looks.