New Rum Sequence Started

Discuss fermentation, different types of wash, etc
myles
Valued Member / Donated to SS

New Rum Sequence Started

Post by myles » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:29 pm

OK folks I just started a new multi generational rum fermentation.

Actually, to be honest I started it some time ago.
Generation 0, was stripped today. This first fermentation in the sequence (uses lemon juice instead of dunder) is really just a dunder and feints generator.
I might take a very small hearts cut, but everything else goes into the feints store. The main purpose of this generation is to create dunder. I mean fresh hot dunder - not the bacterial infected stuff - I have never been happy when I tried making that.

I did a strip run yesterday, and another today, of the gen 0. Got about 32 litres of low wines, and about 50 litres of dunder.

20 litres of hot dunder went straight into the fermenter to help dissolve 25 kg Demerrara sugar. To that I added 2.5 kg of catering grade black treacle, boiled up in an equal volume of water to get it liquid.
I also boiled up some fresh yeast. This is my nutrients, the only other addition is 1/2 tsp of epsom salts for the magnesium.

I diluted 2 pints of wash with 2 pints of water and pitched two packets of Safale S04 yeast. I hour later.
Rum starter dec19.png
I will keep this overnight in the kitchen next to the Aga. Tomorrow I will dump it in the fermenter and top that up to about 115 litres.

I don't measure SG. This recipe of a 25 kg sack of Demerara sugar : 2.5 kg Treacle, made up to 115 (ish) litres works out at about 12%.

I have it in a 160 litre fermenter with a warming belt (soil heating cable) under a foil bubblewrap jacket. It runs on an Inkbird controller set to 25C with the sensor immersed in the wash.

I use a strip run blended boiler charge of 90% wash : 10% feints (feints collected on the spirit runs). (The Gen 0 strip run was 100% wash.)

For the spirit run I use 50% Low wines : 50% stored fresh dunder (dunder collected on the strip run). Do not collect dunder from a spirit run!!!
This is a modified pugirum method.

I will also make up a bottle of "rum essence" 50% hearts:50% fresh strip dunder (thanks Buccaneer Bob) to use for blending, if I feel like it.

The idea is to keep this yeast going, and keep re-cycling 20% to 25% dunder in each fermentation. It is the rum equivalent of a UJSSM. That is a sour fermentation combined with dunder in the spirit run, to give a full flavour rum. Will see how it works out.

I had bad experiences with infected dunder :roll: (possibly the wrong climate) so this reuse of dunder is an alternative flavour boosting option.

Swedish Pride
Valued Member

Re: New Rum Sequence Started

Post by Swedish Pride » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:09 pm

Great write up. Never seen this method documented before.
Is good grad e treckle made from cane or beet byproduct?

I've only ever done rum from feed store molasses and its fairly harsh stuff, 3 years on and I don't think it'll ever come right

myles

Post by myles » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:01 pm

The Demerara is a relatively unprocessed cane sugar, unlike the "brown" sugars and golden syrup, that are just modified white sugars.
The black catering treacle is a cane sugar by-product. Just used to intensify the flavour.

I am not actually aiming for a dark rum, I prefer the gold Trinidad style. However, my understanding is that some of the dark rums actually blend fermented wash (or dunder) into the product, and this is where Buccaneer Bob's "rum essence" comes into play.

A 50:50 hearts/dunder mix is sterile and high proof, and is concentrated in flavour.

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:30 am

Wowser, you put some thought into this.
Hats off to you, and watching with interest.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Mash

Post by Mash » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:05 am

Ooer I thought I had replied to this....

I am watching this with interest. I fancy scaling it down to 25l. Trinidad stylie - thought this was out of fashion. Nice one Myles.
To Gin-finity and beyond !

Swedish Pride
Valued Member

Post by Swedish Pride » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:49 am

never been one for rum, but I am one for experimenting with washes/mashes will file this one away for a later date.
the 50/50 low wine / dunder charge intrigues me, be interesting to see how this one goes.

I assume it's all to be potstilled?

myles

Post by myles » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:40 am

Yes simple potstill with no thumper. Well simple-ish. ;)

6 kW cask boiler with a 54 mm pot riser and a 7 tube product condenser. My rig runs on an e-parrot monitoring vapour temp in the boiler headspace and just above the product condenser. The big dial thermometer is there from a previous incarnation but it is essentially redundant. The sight glass is to monitor for puke/foam - not had that issue yet.

6kW potstill 2.png

myles

Post by myles » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:00 am

I had intended to use a Belgian ale yeast but have Safale S04 to use instead. I have turned the fermenter down to 23 C as 25 C is the stated upper limit for the S04. Just need to wait another hour or two so I can add the starter to the fermenter.
Nice yeast growth overnight. :)
Rum starter2.png

Jennysgin

Post by Jennysgin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:39 pm

That all looks really good Myles.
We'll be interested to hear your progress :)

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:12 am

One man's idea of SIMPLE may not be mine! :)

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D