StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2016-02-08T06:34:03+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=2&t=3810 2016-02-08T06:34:03+00:00 2016-02-08T06:34:03+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3810&p=31054#p31054 <![CDATA[Re: Frozen wash]]>
I used the youngs wide neck fermenter the shape inverts well. Lid off. About 12 hours inverted. I got 9 litres. Turn the night before strip.
I made handles. It is a slippery bugger to deal with.

A rotating frame, on wheels that fitted in a +30 to -20 cabinet, would be great.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:34 am


]]>
2016-02-08T02:55:46+00:00 2016-02-08T02:55:46+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3810&p=31048#p31048 <![CDATA[Re: Frozen wash]]> :D

Well done Mash..lets wait and see how Robert gets on....this could be the start of something big.

Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:55 am


]]>
2016-02-07T19:58:17+00:00 2016-02-07T19:58:17+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3810&p=31038#p31038 <![CDATA[Re: Frozen wash]]> I currently have freezer space,and a wash finishing this week.
Will give this a go.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:58 pm


]]>
2016-02-07T17:27:24+00:00 2016-02-07T17:27:24+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3810&p=31031#p31031 <![CDATA[Re: Frozen wash]]>
Nothing to speak of in the frozen waste. I think a rack is called for! I will be doing this again.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:27 pm


]]>
2016-02-07T09:15:31+00:00 2016-02-07T09:15:31+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3810&p=31016#p31016 <![CDATA[Re: Frozen wash]]> If it works I will save myself 5 strip runs for every 25l wash. Worth a visit I thought.

The real test will come when I run/test the frozen remainder.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:15 am


]]>
2016-02-07T07:54:28+00:00 2016-02-07T07:54:28+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3810&p=31014#p31014 <![CDATA[Re: Frozen wash]]> how comparable to a strip would it be?. looking forward to what info you gain from it.

Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:54 am


]]>
2016-02-07T07:26:29+00:00 2016-02-07T07:26:29+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3810&p=31012#p31012 <![CDATA[Re: Frozen wash]]>
25 litres of kale has been in the freezer a week. Inverted yesterday over a bucket.
Nipped in quickly this morning and I see we have 2/3 full bucket of drainings.
Both mathematically what I was expecting.
Will separate it later and test both portions with the refractometer.

.... Then probably strip run.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:26 am


]]>
2016-01-17T06:59:04+00:00 2016-01-17T06:59:04+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3810&p=30345#p30345 <![CDATA[Re: Frozen wash]]> Statistics: Posted by Mash — Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:59 am


]]>
2016-01-16T22:22:07+00:00 2016-01-16T22:22:07+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3810&p=30336#p30336 <![CDATA[Re: Frozen wash]]> You are freezing out the H2O and condensing.
A doddle where I am right now,3" of ice on a bucket of water left out overnight.
Apple Jack was what got me to build me first still,when I was a fair bit younger.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:22 pm


]]>
2016-01-16T19:35:34+00:00 2016-01-16T19:35:34+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3810&p=30323#p30323 <![CDATA[Re: Frozen wash]]>
Thoughts?

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:35 pm


]]>
2016-01-16T18:24:43+00:00 2016-01-16T18:24:43+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3810&p=30318#p30318 <![CDATA[Re: Frozen wash]]> Statistics: Posted by chill — Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:24 pm


]]>
2016-01-16T08:24:38+00:00 2016-01-16T08:24:38+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3810&p=30298#p30298 <![CDATA[Re: Frozen wash]]>
This is why you can distill (or 'jack' as is known) by freezing stuff and then separating the alcohol away from the water by inversion.

Did this recently with paraffin (that had water in)

Ooooo. Feel a test coming on with a kale... Could try it as a strip run.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:24 am


]]>
2016-01-16T00:06:37+00:00 2016-01-16T00:06:37+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3810&p=30287#p30287 <![CDATA[Re: Frozen wash]]> It would take a pretty cold snap to freeze a fermented wash.
I haven't experimented myself,so just conjecture....

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:06 am


]]>
2016-01-15T12:22:29+00:00 2016-01-15T12:22:29+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3810&p=30273#p30273 <![CDATA[Re: Frozen wash]]>
Mash wrote:
Absolutely will not matter if it freezes.

No, it will not cloud up.

but....slightly cloudy wash going into the still IMO makes no difference. But it would be good to give it a try anyway.

Concur......

Being a bit of a tightwad, I've got out the habit (and cost) of clearing properly.

I just let my ferments finish, then leave them an extra week for the majority of the lees to drop naturally.

I then just strip it. There's usually a tiny amount of sediment in the still, post-strip (less than a teaspoon full).

Plus I've not had one cloud up at any stage later, ending up with acceptable (IMO) spirit to essence flavour and then mix/drink.......

Hence as Mash says, shouldn't be a problem (plus if your washes are pretty bog standard, they'd be about the 14% area and it'd have to get a bit colder before it even goes like slush).....

Statistics: Posted by Phantom — Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:22 pm


]]>
2016-01-15T11:12:46+00:00 2016-01-15T11:12:46+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3810&p=30269#p30269 <![CDATA[Re: Frozen wash]]>
No, it will not cloud up.

but....slightly cloudy wash going into the still IMO makes no difference. But it would be good to give it a try anyway.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:12 am


]]>