StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2018-09-25T23:10:16+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=1&t=4914 2018-09-25T23:10:16+00:00 2018-09-25T23:10:16+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4914&p=49705#p49705 <![CDATA[Re: Here's my plan...........]]> Sorry, but in a Donovan frame of mind this night.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:10 pm


]]>
2018-09-25T06:12:47+00:00 2018-09-25T06:12:47+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4914&p=49701#p49701 <![CDATA[Re: Here's my plan...........]]>
I fancy "Railroad Spike" gin.

Have done some comedy labels in the past.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:12 am


]]>
2018-09-24T21:52:20+00:00 2018-09-24T21:52:20+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4914&p=49697#p49697 <![CDATA[Re: Here's my plan...........]]>

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:52 pm


]]>
2018-09-24T07:03:15+00:00 2018-09-24T07:03:15+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4914&p=49692#p49692 <![CDATA[Re: Here's my plan...........]]>
Good point Maker! Alcohol and water are very different solvents. IME water gives you a floorboard flavour. Soaking wood in alcohol in a jar works.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:03 am


]]>
2018-09-23T23:22:17+00:00 2018-09-23T23:22:17+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4914&p=49691#p49691 <![CDATA[Re: Here's my plan...........]]>
Mickrick wrote:
Ok here's what i've found. I'm happy putting the oaked water into my alcohol to dilute it. Taste great to me. Have to be carefull not to "over oak" it, and thats easy to do as it can be quite pale in colour , i'd appreciate a recommendation for how to make it a bit darker.. Caramel clouring summat like that ? The finished product can almost look clear, even though the oaked water was dark.

The smoked chips on their own are far too smokey, only need a few pieces in a pan of water (with the regular chips)to impart a subtle smoked flavour. I'd don't have a methodical approach to anything and just blunder along like a cook without a recipie.

Here's another thought that i'm going to try so if there's anything i'm missing or you know/think it will fail then let me know............ Similar idea for Rum. Start with undiluted neutral. Pan of hot water, dilute brown sugar/demerara/mollases whatever.... Use this brown liquid to dilute your neutral to give you the taste and colour of a Rum, that might work ?


Honestly, I dunno, but you have me thinking.
Although you seem to have wandered into the territory of commercial essences.
But if you can make them cheaper and maybe better, then hats off to you! :)

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:22 pm


]]>
2018-09-23T21:24:34+00:00 2018-09-23T21:24:34+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4914&p=49689#p49689 <![CDATA[Re: Here's my plan...........]]>

Statistics: Posted by Maker — Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:24 pm


]]>
2018-09-23T21:11:54+00:00 2018-09-23T21:11:54+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4914&p=49688#p49688 <![CDATA[Re: Here's my plan...........]]> Statistics: Posted by Maker — Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:11 pm


]]>
2018-09-23T13:35:58+00:00 2018-09-23T13:35:58+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4914&p=49687#p49687 <![CDATA[Re: Here's my plan...........]]>
The smoked chips on their own are far too smokey, only need a few pieces in a pan of water (with the regular chips)to impart a subtle smoked flavour. I'd don't have a methodical approach to anything and just blunder along like a cook without a recipie.

Here's another thought that i'm going to try so if there's anything i'm missing or you know/think it will fail then let me know............ Similar idea for Rum. Start with undiluted neutral. Pan of hot water, dilute brown sugar/demerara/mollases whatever.... Use this brown liquid to dilute your neutral to give you the taste and colour of a Rum, that might work ?

Statistics: Posted by Mickrick — Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:35 pm


]]>
2018-06-23T22:22:59+00:00 2018-06-23T22:22:59+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4914&p=48991#p48991 <![CDATA[Re: Here's my plan...........]]> I even bought extras of things like "Peat Smoke"
I remember people telling me that the profile recipe for Laphroig tasted like Cough Linctus.
So does Laphroig, in a good way. :)

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:22 pm


]]>
2018-06-23T05:42:40+00:00 2018-06-23T05:42:40+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4914&p=48978#p48978 <![CDATA[Re: Here's my plan...........]]>
I will be doing more experiments using the nuking method and finishing using the profile kit.

Statistics: Posted by Pyro — Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:42 am


]]>
2018-06-21T05:54:41+00:00 2018-06-21T05:54:41+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4914&p=48966#p48966 <![CDATA[Re: Here's my plan...........]]>
You could freeze it.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:54 am


]]>
2018-06-20T17:56:26+00:00 2018-06-20T17:56:26+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4914&p=48961#p48961 <![CDATA[Re: Here's my plan...........]]> Statistics: Posted by Mickrick — Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:56 pm


]]>
2018-06-18T06:45:26+00:00 2018-06-18T06:45:26+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4914&p=48929#p48929 <![CDATA[Re: Here's my plan...........]]> Looking Good

Statistics: Posted by Pyro — Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:45 am


]]>
2018-06-17T22:39:48+00:00 2018-06-17T22:39:48+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4914&p=48925#p48925 <![CDATA[Re: Here's my plan...........]]> I don't nuke in the microwave much these days, but when I do, I DO NOT seal the jar as it cools.
Give it three heat and cool cycles,with cooldown spaces, and your wood is sunk.
And you have accomplished a ten year aging cycle in minutes, as the spirit should have dropped from 75% ish to nearer 50%
Sometimes, with the best will in the world people espouse bollocks.
I probably do.
This is just my take. ;)

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:39 pm


]]>
2018-06-17T14:10:42+00:00 2018-06-17T14:10:42+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4914&p=48917#p48917 <![CDATA[Re: Here's my plan...........]]>
Next, i roasted some chips on a tray in the oven untill they took on a darker grey colour, half hour or so @ 200 degrees. Dropped them in water brought to boil and simmered for about half hour. The chips go very dark in colour when wet. The juice/water looked very much darker than the water from the plain chips. Upon decanting the liquid was the same colour, it appears to have just been an illusion created by dark chips in a stainless steel pan. That said, the juice was very smokey in taste. I added some to plain spirit, its OK. Very smokey/peat taste. I don't like smokey whiskey so much so i won't be repeating that. Plain chips is gonna be fine for me.


I also think the alcohol would bring something more out the wood as said above. If i wipe my cooker hood with alcohol it absorbs instantly the grease etc.. whereas water does not. I've just dropped my previously boiled plain chips into a jar of tails i collected. Just to find out if there is any colouring capability left in the wood and just because i'm nosey as to what will happen. I rate it as a success for me at any rate, can't see me buying whiskey essenses again. I do think there is a little something lacking in the taste of what i've done but i'll investigate that another day. There's also the possibility of throwing a bit of that "oak water" into a wash, or into my tubs of wine.

Image

Statistics: Posted by Mickrick — Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:10 pm


]]>