StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2013-06-08T01:21:37+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=6&t=2140 2013-06-08T01:21:37+00:00 2013-06-08T01:21:37+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2140&p=14178#p14178 <![CDATA[Re: The use of JD BBQ Chunks]]>
AM 8)

Statistics: Posted by Almanac — Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:21 am


]]>
2013-06-07T22:21:29+00:00 2013-06-07T22:21:29+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2140&p=14172#p14172 <![CDATA[Re: The use of JD BBQ Chunks]]>
if it worries you it worries you, and so forth

Statistics: Posted by FullySilenced — Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:21 pm


]]>
2013-06-07T19:27:57+00:00 2013-06-07T19:27:57+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2140&p=14168#p14168 <![CDATA[Re: The use of JD BBQ Chunks]]>

Most of my spirits are still stored as neutral.

FS: I'm definitely converted to virgin oak only. I've had some great stuff off JD Chunks but it only takes one bad one with an insecticide or other toxin on it to turn things inside out :-[

AM 8)

Statistics: Posted by Almanac — Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:27 pm


]]>
2013-06-07T13:57:43+00:00 2013-06-07T13:57:43+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2140&p=14165#p14165 <![CDATA[Re: The use of JD BBQ Chunks]]>
I mostly just use the chips and rinse them off with tap water before i put em in the jar... not really had any issues, but they are bbq chips and still work well for that purpose when i filter them out of the jars... :D

Statistics: Posted by FullySilenced — Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:57 pm


]]>
2013-06-07T12:51:10+00:00 2013-06-07T12:51:10+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2140&p=14163#p14163 <![CDATA[Re: The use of JD BBQ Chunks]]>
You just re-label Bourbon-esque spirit "AM's BBQ Tipple" or "AM's Flamin' A&%$holes," that way it's labelled for purpose as well. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Statistics: Posted by amaark — Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:51 pm


]]>
2013-06-07T07:35:53+00:00 2013-06-07T07:35:53+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2140&p=14159#p14159 <![CDATA[The use of JD BBQ Chunks]]> When you think about it, both the M&S and the JD chips are sold “fit for purpose” the purpose that they are sold for is burning, with no guarantees that they are fit for anything else."

This got me thinking about my history in using JD BBQ Chunks over the past few years!

Looking back I have been a strong supporter of the use of these chunks for the purpose of producing a quick turnaround, palatable, sour mash type spirit.

On occasion I have put White Neutral on a batch of these chunks and, within a few days, was presented with a dark ruby liquor that tasted akin to Knob Creek or Booker Noe's Bourbon rather than Sour Mash. On other occasions I got a return that tasted of wood mold and sawdust. However, on balance, the incidence of non-drinkable spirits was rare while the 'quality' of product made using these chunks varied wildly. ::)

Given all this I think I may have been a little blinkered in terms of not wanting to see the obvious which is what YHB's post points to and cannot be ignored. That is that the JD chunks some of us have been using for making faux Sour Mash are fit for purpose - Barbeque purpose. :D

AM 8)

Statistics: Posted by Almanac — Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:35 am


]]>