StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2016-12-02T14:33:51+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=3&t=4410 2016-12-02T14:33:51+00:00 2016-12-02T14:33:51+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4410&p=40488#p40488 <![CDATA[Re: First Whisky]]> Lee

Statistics: Posted by Still maturing — Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:33 pm


]]>
2016-11-29T23:22:10+00:00 2016-11-29T23:22:10+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4410&p=40388#p40388 <![CDATA[Re: First Whisky]]> Then it would run faster than you might expect due to higher wash%, but that may not be a bad thing on a flavoured wash.
You seem to be taking small sized cuts, and so all should come good from this.

I have run silly high % washes, because I could.
These days everything is sub 30%, for a reason.

I just re read your post and realised that all of the above is not a simple answer to your two questions.
So.
1.A higher % alcohol wash, run with a 'regular' cooled condenser will result in a faster take off/flow rate. Pours not drips.
2.If you are aiming for a flavoured wash, whisky or whatever, just re distill the jars that don't make the grade.

If you wish to go into it in more depth, read some of the posts in the various whisky threads and posts on here.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:22 pm


]]>
2016-11-29T22:20:27+00:00 2016-11-29T22:20:27+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4410&p=40383#p40383 <![CDATA[Re: First Whisky]]>
I never let my condenser water get warm though, on a stripping run I try to maximise flow rate without heating the condenser water.

On the Spirit Run I concentrate rather on slowing the flow rate by reducing heating as much as possible whilst still distilling.

I mainly produce whisky but, at present, I am experimenting with a Gin.

Statistics: Posted by Toper — Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:20 pm


]]>
2016-11-29T21:47:30+00:00 2016-11-29T21:47:30+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4410&p=40380#p40380 <![CDATA[Re: First Whisky]]>
I'm using gas, and I usually keep it as low as possible while still keeping a tiny boil, but couldn't stop it running faster today. I think I can increase temp for my stripping runs then. It takes me about 2 hours to strip??? I never let my condensor water get warm on either run, so maybe room to up the heat when stripping?
You mentioned smearing???
What do you produce mainly?
Thanks

Statistics: Posted by Still maturing — Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:47 pm


]]>
2016-11-29T21:49:56+00:00 2016-11-29T21:31:44+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4410&p=40379#p40379 <![CDATA[Re: First Whisky]]>
I see you have a small copper still.

When you say you are on your second run, do you mean you have finished your Stripping Runs and are now on your Spirit runs?

As you mention taking 100ml cuts I am assuming that it is the latter.

I'm not sure what you are using as a heat source and how consistent it is.

You mention 50%abv. This cannot be considered high for Fores, Heads or Hearts. If anything, it might be rather on the low side although, you don't say at what point this reading is taken.


I too use a copper still and whilst running it rather hotter during a Stripping Run, here the condenser water temperature governs how fast, when on a Spirit Run I turn down the heat as much as possible, consistent with still producing a distillate. My reasoning being that I want to avoid smearing as much as possible on this final Spirit Run.

Your cuts should have produced what you regard as Fores, Heads, Hearts and Tails. You will decide which cuts fall where.

Those you regard as being Hearts are not re-run. Many simply discard the portion of Fores or, use for cleaning fluid etc.

The cuts you identify as Heads and Tails are usually set aside to be added to the results of your next Stripping Run., so subsequently re-run.

Statistics: Posted by Toper — Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:31 pm


]]>
2016-11-29T19:37:12+00:00 2016-11-29T19:37:12+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4410&p=40378#p40378 <![CDATA[First Whisky]]> I'm currently distilling 2nd run of my whisky. Two questions, one, is it too much of a worry if the speed of delivery turns from a steady drip to a steady, fine, run??? And why would this be? I know I'm not looking for neutral and I possibly pick up more flavour with a faster run, but is a trickle to fast? Would I Hrv ran the 2nd run too high a ABV (50%) and it's just the high alcohol content that's running?
I am keeping 100ml cuts so I can check after they settle, but might I need to run the cuts again as mentioned a few times in the forum, or will that clean up my whisky too much???
Sorry for all the questions :)

Statistics: Posted by Still maturing — Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:37 pm


]]>