StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2016-11-07T22:16:10+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=2&t=4344 2016-11-07T22:16:10+00:00 2016-11-07T22:16:10+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4344&p=39611#p39611 <![CDATA[Re: Yeast Rehydration and Restarting stuck Ferments]]>
Mash wrote:
This subject comes up from time to time.

I thought I would share the latest thinking from my course. The process of rehydration & restarting a stuck ferment are in the attached PDF.

Best Practise Yeast rehydration- .pdf

The key points for me, seemed to be that

- Yeast don't like being started - they prefer simple rehydration in water (to recover them from their dried state). Once rehydrated they can then acclimatise to their environment. if you start them, they go through the acclimatisation process (lag) twice and this can cause yeast shock (failure)

- Yeast prefer to be rehydrated in water - not high concentrate sugary/wash/wort/mash.

- Rehydrating will lead to a much greater cell count per ml than sprinkling, important for speciality yeasts. That said if using Baker's yeast it's sooo cheap, dosing at 100 g per 25 L mitigates that.

-For obvious reasons dechlorinated water (boiled) is best.

This is for dried powdered yeasts only.


Has anyone thought to inform the Allinson's yeasties that this is the way that to play?
I just need to find me a use for a speciality yeast.
I don't think it will happen with stillin'

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:16 pm


]]>
2016-11-07T05:17:56+00:00 2016-11-07T05:17:56+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4344&p=39583#p39583 <![CDATA[Re: Yeast Rehydration and Restarting stuck Ferments]]>
My hot water tank is set at 60c.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:17 am


]]>
2016-11-06T18:02:30+00:00 2016-11-06T18:02:30+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4344&p=39559#p39559 <![CDATA[Re: Yeast Rehydration and Restarting stuck Ferments]]> Statistics: Posted by Curmudgeon — Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:02 pm


]]>
2016-11-06T16:42:24+00:00 2016-11-06T16:42:24+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4344&p=39558#p39558 <![CDATA[Re: Yeast Rehydration and Restarting stuck Ferments]]>
vino-tinto wrote:
When I first read this post I thought no way would I subject beer yeast to 37C.

So I did a little research into beer yeasts and found to my amazement just what temps beer yeasts can handle.

So it seems I have been doing it wrong all this time, the only thing that's really important is the temp of the rehydrated yeast mix when pitching it.



Yes indeed. Also important to rehydrate in water not is sugary water.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:42 pm


]]>
2016-11-06T15:14:47+00:00 2016-11-06T15:14:47+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4344&p=39557#p39557 <![CDATA[Re: Yeast Rehydration and Restarting stuck Ferments]]>
So I did a little research into beer yeasts and found to my amazement just what temps beer yeasts can handle.

So it seems I have been doing it wrong all this time, the only thing that's really important is the temp of the rehydrated yeast mix when pitching it.

Statistics: Posted by vino-tinto — Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:14 pm


]]>
2016-11-06T14:50:25+00:00 2016-11-06T14:50:25+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4344&p=39555#p39555 <![CDATA[Re: Yeast Rehydration and Restarting stuck Ferments]]> Statistics: Posted by spot — Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:50 pm


]]>
2016-10-28T07:25:50+00:00 2016-10-28T07:25:50+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4344&p=39078#p39078 <![CDATA[Yeast Rehydration and Restarting stuck Ferments]]>
I thought I would share the latest thinking from my course. The process of rehydration & restarting a stuck ferment are in the attached PDF.

Best Practise Yeast rehydration- .pdf

The key points for me, seemed to be that

- Yeast don't like being started - they prefer simple rehydration in water (to recover them from their dried state). Once rehydrated they can then acclimatise to their environment. if you start them, they go through the acclimatisation process (lag) twice and this can cause yeast shock (failure)

- Yeast prefer to be rehydrated in water - not high concentrate sugary/wash/wort/mash.

- Rehydrating will lead to a much greater cell count per ml than sprinkling, important for speciality yeasts. That said if using Baker's yeast it's sooo cheap, dosing at 100 g per 25 L mitigates that.

-For obvious reasons dechlorinated water (boiled) is best.

This is for dried powdered yeasts only.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:25 am


]]>