StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2015-07-30T23:41:33+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=15&t=3589 2015-07-30T23:41:33+00:00 2015-07-30T23:41:33+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3589&p=27347#p27347 <![CDATA[Re: Bubble Cap Column Build]]> And if Anavrin,or anyone else is stilling in the garage or the shed,I can totally understand a desire to get it over with as quickly as possible.
As I am stilling indoors,about 12 feet from a large screen TV,HiFi and all the usual home comforts,I am content to stick with my modest 2" column.
It doesn't mean that my still won't try to grow wings and fly one day.
It is just not urgent!
To each,his own.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:41 pm


]]>
2015-07-30T11:08:49+00:00 2015-07-30T11:08:49+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3589&p=27345#p27345 <![CDATA[Re: Bubble Cap Column Build]]>
If you stripped 3-4 10% 25lt washes for a spirit run, you could have 7.5 to 10 litres of alcohol to collect, a 3" column could speed up the run from a 12hr run to 4-5hrs.

Bigger columns are more expensive and may seem overkill but you have to factor in your time too, for me 12hrs is too long and I'll be looking to upgrade my column to 4 x 4" plates with a 3"-4" packed section for neutral.

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:08 am


]]>
2015-07-30T06:43:38+00:00 2015-07-30T06:43:38+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3589&p=27344#p27344 <![CDATA[Re: Bubble Cap Column Build]]> Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:43 am


]]>
2015-07-30T06:30:52+00:00 2015-07-30T06:30:52+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3589&p=27343#p27343 <![CDATA[Re: Bubble Cap Column Build]]>

Easydrinker wrote:Forgive the question,but how much are you drinking or planning on doing?
Does "need" really mean "just what can I do?"
Obviously bigger stilling capacity requires comparatively bigger brewing capacities.
I can see advantages to getting all your brewing and stilling for the year done in two weeks,if you have the space.
Or am I being a little dim here? Is it simply a matter of halving the time that you spend stilling? A couple of hours per run instead four or five?
I'm guessing that I finally got there,but please share the reason that you need a bigger beast.


Robert.


Your right, thx for the reality check...Do I need a 50 litre boiler?? NO!! ::)

I'm getting sucked into looking at some of the great builds out there and wanting a part of it but realistically I don't drink enough to warrant the purchase cost..
I love the look of those bubble caps tho so it might be a better idea to buy a 30 litre boiler and scale a bubble column down to 2" on a self build?
Thoughts?
S4BB

Statistics: Posted by Spirits4BB — Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:30 am


]]>
2015-07-29T23:38:53+00:00 2015-07-29T23:38:53+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3589&p=27339#p27339 <![CDATA[Re: Bubble Cap Column Build]]>
Anavrin wrote:
Hi Spirits4BB

That 4" Crystal dragon is £758 including vat and converted to GBP, seem expensive but it really is a well made peice of kit and will last a lifetime, if I was buying it, I would add one more plate, it has 3 plates, I beleve tberes some rule in Austria limiting the plates advertised to 3, one more would be perfect for Rums and other flavoured spirits, if you want neutral spirit add a 510mm 4" section to fill with packing.

I have the Baby Crystal Dragon with 6 plates and I use a 510mm 2" packed section for neutral, but I need a bigger setup,


Forgive the question,but how much are you drinking or planning on doing?
Does "need" really mean "just what can I do?"
Obviously bigger stilling capacity requires comparatively bigger brewing capacities.
I can see advantages to getting all your brewing and stilling for the year done in two weeks,if you have the space.
Or am I being a little dim here? Is it simply a matter of halving the time that you spend stilling? A couple of hours per run instead four or five?
I'm guessing that I finally got there,but please share the reason that you need a bigger beast.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:38 pm


]]>
2015-07-29T21:12:58+00:00 2015-07-29T21:12:58+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3589&p=27335#p27335 <![CDATA[Re: Bubble Cap Column Build]]>
That 4" Crystal dragon is £758 including vat and converted to GBP, seem expensive but it really is a well made peice of kit and will last a lifetime, if I was buying it, I would add one more plate, it has 3 plates, I beleve tberes some rule in Austria limiting the plates advertised to 3, one more would be perfect for Rums and other flavoured spirits, if you want neutral spirit add a 510mm 4" section to fill with packing.

I have the Baby Crystal Dragon with 6 plates and I use a 510mm 2" packed section for neutral, but I need a bigger setup, I've been looking at the 4" Crystal myself, I have one 4" section already so I will possibly get a 3 plate crystal section to add to it.

I've bought bits over several months and parts of my still are still home made from copper, if I had all the cash needed to buy a complete 4" crystal dragon in one go, I would have done.

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:12 pm


]]>
2015-07-29T17:33:41+00:00 2015-07-29T17:33:41+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3589&p=27331#p27331 <![CDATA[Re: Bubble Cap Column Build]]> Anyone know if these pre builds are worth money?

Statistics: Posted by Spirits4BB — Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:33 pm


]]>
2015-07-29T15:14:54+00:00 2015-07-29T15:14:54+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3589&p=27330#p27330 <![CDATA[Re: Bubble Cap Column Build]]> Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:14 pm


]]>
2015-07-29T13:08:04+00:00 2015-07-29T13:08:04+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3589&p=27328#p27328 <![CDATA[Re: Bubble Cap Column Build]]>
Spirits4BB wrote:
Might be cheaper to buy one from Still Dragon???
Anyone dealt with this company for large things?



Yup sure have John...a couple of us went a little crazy back a while ago...that's where my milk-can came from.
With a good £ to Euro rate at the moment...could work out a little cheaper.. ;)

Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:08 pm


]]>
2015-07-29T12:27:46+00:00 2015-07-29T12:27:46+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3589&p=27325#p27325 <![CDATA[Re: Bubble Cap Column Build]]> Anyone dealt with this company for large things?

Statistics: Posted by Spirits4BB — Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:27 pm


]]>
2015-07-28T20:41:28+00:00 2015-07-28T20:41:28+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3589&p=27308#p27308 <![CDATA[Re: Bubble Cap Column Build]]>
Cheers
Nick

Statistics: Posted by Son of Opus 27 — Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:41 pm


]]>
2015-07-28T15:45:51+00:00 2015-07-28T15:45:51+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3589&p=27299#p27299 <![CDATA[Re: Bubble Cap Column Build]]> Cost of boiler, delivery and then import duty..

Am I doing it wrong?

S4BB

Statistics: Posted by Spirits4BB — Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:45 pm


]]>
2015-07-26T17:26:21+00:00 2015-07-26T17:26:21+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3589&p=27261#p27261 <![CDATA[Re: Bubble Cap Column Build]]>
Yes I do run it with a controller that we made I posted it under dads user name before joining the forum a while ago the thread is below.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3098#p20431

Cheers
Nick

Statistics: Posted by Son of Opus 27 — Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:26 pm


]]>
2015-07-26T15:55:04+00:00 2015-07-26T15:55:04+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3589&p=27256#p27256 <![CDATA[Re: Bubble Cap Column Build]]>
Did you get stung with import charges?
Element?? Where did you buy it from and watts, do you use a controller on it?

S4BB

Statistics: Posted by Spirits4BB — Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:55 pm


]]>
2015-07-26T13:40:30+00:00 2015-07-26T13:40:30+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3589&p=27254#p27254 <![CDATA[Re: Bubble Cap Column Build]]> it is heavy gauge if you hit it you would hurt your hand and not leave a dent.

£137 + £50 shipping

http://r.ebay.com/sWaSeJ

Cheers
Nick

Statistics: Posted by Son of Opus 27 — Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:40 pm


]]>