StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2018-06-03T08:41:27+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=1&t=4887 2018-06-03T08:41:27+00:00 2018-06-03T08:41:27+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4887&p=48718#p48718 <![CDATA[Re: Maize starch]]>
Easydrinker wrote:
That is the point Phantom, by the time it is liquid enough to work with, it will only produce a very weak wash.

Robert.

It was more of a case of me "thinking aloud" on the possibility etc. Having not done grain batches and no knowledge or experience of how the enzyme would need to be used.

So a sort of "learning curve" (for me) crossed with a cost benefit analysis (cos I'm always on the lookout for better "value" for fermentables).

Getting my head around how all this works etc (I would have had the same pit falls as others).........

;D well that makes sense to me anyway

Statistics: Posted by Phantom — Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:41 am


]]>
2018-06-02T22:59:09+00:00 2018-06-02T22:59:09+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4887&p=48708#p48708 <![CDATA[Re: Maize starch]]>
Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:59 pm


]]>
2018-06-02T08:12:59+00:00 2018-06-02T08:12:59+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4887&p=48691#p48691 <![CDATA[Re: Maize starch]]>
if so, then isn't it all about how much you use initially ? so that it doesn't become wallpaper paste ?

because you don't need much (think on thickening gravy, so for a half pint you need a couple of teaspoons). but if you can get it mashing/converting/whatever you call it, then once the source of enzyme goes in, it breaks down the starch to sugars except that whether the enzyme can do a very thick batch and still return to the consistency of water so it can be distilled is the main question.

I've not done any grain or flour/starch based batches so I haven't looked into how easy or hard it might be to get the enzyme or whether you could just mix in some malt and do it that way.........

My point being, that to try and convert that amount but just so that you used a couple of tablespoons worth would only make a very weak wort/wash - which would need stripping first..........

Statistics: Posted by Phantom — Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:12 am


]]>
2018-05-18T06:39:52+00:00 2018-05-18T06:39:52+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4887&p=48479#p48479 <![CDATA[Re: Maize starch]]>
I reckon you won't get close enough to collect. The dogs farty arse would be going like roman candle. :D

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Fri May 18, 2018 6:39 am


]]>
2018-05-18T00:53:33+00:00 2018-05-18T00:53:33+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4887&p=48473#p48473 <![CDATA[Re: Maize starch]]>

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Fri May 18, 2018 12:53 am


]]>
2018-05-18T00:04:56+00:00 2018-05-18T00:04:56+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4887&p=48471#p48471 <![CDATA[Re: Maize starch]]>
Ok so my next idea, if I feed my dog 100% sugar and sprinkle yeast in his water bowl can I susspend a bowl under his belly to collect, I can pick the hairs out with tweezers?

Statistics: Posted by Maker — Fri May 18, 2018 12:04 am


]]>
2018-05-16T23:28:19+00:00 2018-05-16T23:28:19+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4887&p=48463#p48463 <![CDATA[Re: Maize starch]]> Do you wanna join the Stupid Club?
I'm thinking of starting one, no-one stupider than me. ;)

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Wed May 16, 2018 11:28 pm


]]>
2018-05-16T21:47:25+00:00 2018-05-16T21:47:25+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4887&p=48459#p48459 <![CDATA[Re: Maize starch]]> Lets never speak of this again. ::)

Statistics: Posted by Maker — Wed May 16, 2018 9:47 pm


]]>
2018-05-16T19:54:46+00:00 2018-05-16T19:54:46+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4887&p=48455#p48455 <![CDATA[Re: Maize starch]]> Statistics: Posted by H12rpo — Wed May 16, 2018 7:54 pm


]]>
2018-05-16T05:21:30+00:00 2018-05-16T05:21:30+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4887&p=48447#p48447 <![CDATA[Re: Maize starch]]> :D

If you do decide to give it a go, try a very small amount in a very large saucepan. ::)

Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Wed May 16, 2018 5:21 am


]]>
2018-05-16T02:50:29+00:00 2018-05-16T02:50:29+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4887&p=48444#p48444 <![CDATA[Re: Maize starch]]>
Once the sugars are created you need to ferment, distill, etc.

I will not waste any more time on this. Neither should you.

Statistics: Posted by RumJohn — Wed May 16, 2018 2:50 am


]]>
2018-05-15T23:26:42+00:00 2018-05-15T23:26:42+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4887&p=48442#p48442 <![CDATA[Re: Maize starch]]>
This must be doable, surely it's the best part of the grain to have access to, it must give the best yeild although I cant stop thinking about how little corn flour you add to chicken stock to make a thick soup, this could go very wrong.

Statistics: Posted by Maker — Tue May 15, 2018 11:26 pm


]]>
2018-05-15T23:00:43+00:00 2018-05-15T23:00:43+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4887&p=48440#p48440 <![CDATA[Re: Maize starch]]> ATB.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Tue May 15, 2018 11:00 pm


]]>
2018-05-15T22:17:12+00:00 2018-05-15T22:17:12+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4887&p=48439#p48439 <![CDATA[Re: Maize starch]]> Would I just follow a recipe using kibbled maize or would it need to be tweaked?

Statistics: Posted by Maker — Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 pm


]]>
2018-05-15T22:03:18+00:00 2018-05-15T22:03:18+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4887&p=48437#p48437 <![CDATA[Re: Maize starch]]>

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Tue May 15, 2018 10:03 pm


]]>