StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2016-02-14T18:09:37+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=15&t=3856 2016-02-14T18:09:37+00:00 2016-02-14T18:09:37+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3856&p=31217#p31217 <![CDATA[Re: SPP Packing - Ready for action]]>
See this topic, I got it from them

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3800&p=30680&hilit=New+Poland&sid=0938d2ebb212932fde9780e9869f0e71#p30166

It took about 16 days for delivery and no communication from them but at least it turned up

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:09 pm


]]>
2016-02-14T13:08:09+00:00 2016-02-14T13:08:09+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3856&p=31210#p31210 <![CDATA[Re: SPP Packing - Ready for action]]> Statistics: Posted by Devon — Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:08 pm


]]>
2016-02-02T08:43:28+00:00 2016-02-02T08:43:28+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3856&p=30865#p30865 <![CDATA[Re: SPP Packing - Ready for action]]> Statistics: Posted by Sunshine — Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:43 am


]]>
2016-02-02T07:08:54+00:00 2016-02-02T07:08:54+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3856&p=30862#p30862 <![CDATA[Re: SPP Packing - Ready for action]]>
Anavrin wrote:
vino-tinto

Did you notice an improvement over ss scrubbers with heads seperation?


Definitely, as I said I reflux at 100% first of all for at least 15 mins @ a vapour of 78C.
Then I take the first 1 litre off at a slow dribble and bin it.
I take the next 1 litre for making my Bourbon at a slow trickle.
I then take everything until the temp goes gets to 79 at a moderate flow, this is pure hearts.
I then take the next until it gets to 82, this I throw back into the strip for the next run, this way my strip gets purer and purer.
I might not get as much as others do, but, what I get is a very pure hearts which goes through an Essencia system after dilution.

Statistics: Posted by vino-tinto — Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:08 am


]]>
2016-02-01T22:39:27+00:00 2016-02-01T22:39:27+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3856&p=30852#p30852 <![CDATA[Re: SPP Packing - Ready for action]]>
Did you notice an improvement over ss scrubbers with heads seperation?

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:39 pm


]]>
2016-02-01T22:06:12+00:00 2016-02-01T22:06:12+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3856&p=30851#p30851 <![CDATA[Re: SPP Packing - Ready for action]]>
Will they fit straight into the baby CD end plates?

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:06 pm


]]>
2016-02-01T20:10:08+00:00 2016-02-01T20:10:08+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3856&p=30848#p30848 <![CDATA[Re: SPP Packing - Ready for action]]>
They come in March.

Statistics: Posted by Sunshine — Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:10 pm


]]>
2016-02-01T18:04:54+00:00 2016-02-01T18:04:54+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3856&p=30844#p30844 <![CDATA[Re: SPP Packing - Ready for action]]>
inglishill wrote:
So all you are refluxing is off the top plate,

Nice move.


The reflux goes all the way back into the boiler flooding all 3 plates, but if the packed section floods the plates still work normally, they can handle upto around 4 - 5kw I think.

It'll be interesting to see how it runs at different power levels, half tempted to run a 10% wash through it just so I can have a play.

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:04 pm


]]>
2016-02-01T16:06:30+00:00 2016-02-01T16:06:30+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3856&p=30841#p30841 <![CDATA[Re: SPP Packing - Ready for action]]> Statistics: Posted by vino-tinto — Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:06 pm


]]>
2016-02-01T12:27:20+00:00 2016-02-01T12:27:20+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3856&p=30837#p30837 <![CDATA[Re: SPP Packing - Ready for action]]>
Nice move.

Statistics: Posted by inglishill — Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:27 pm


]]>
2016-01-31T23:04:18+00:00 2016-01-31T23:04:18+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3856&p=30816#p30816 <![CDATA[Re: SPP Packing - Ready for action]]>
I think the 3 x 4" bubble plates under the packed section help absorb a chunk of the power, on the last run I kept it at 1.9kw with pan scrubbers in there, I was getting just under 2 litres an hour from what I can remember.

I've tried 6mm Rachig rings in it in the past but I couldn't get above 1.4kw without it flooding, that's the beauty of having a glass packed section, you can see if it starts to flood :)

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:04 pm


]]>
2016-01-31T21:50:21+00:00 2016-01-31T21:50:21+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3856&p=30815#p30815 <![CDATA[Re: SPP Packing - Ready for action]]> Statistics: Posted by inglishill — Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:50 pm


]]>
2016-01-31T21:41:07+00:00 2016-01-31T21:41:07+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3856&p=30814#p30814 <![CDATA[Re: SPP Packing - Ready for action]]>
My only worry is how fast I can run it without it flooding, if I can throw 2kw power at it and it not flood I'll be happy :)

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:41 pm


]]>
2016-01-31T20:25:25+00:00 2016-01-31T20:25:25+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3856&p=30812#p30812 <![CDATA[Re: SPP Packing - Ready for action]]> Statistics: Posted by inglishill — Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:25 pm


]]>
2016-01-31T19:58:46+00:00 2016-01-31T19:58:46+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3856&p=30807#p30807 <![CDATA[SPP Packing - Ready for action]]>
It looked perfectly clean to me but thought I'd best do something with it, I poured it into a large stainless pan and covered it in 3litres of 95% heads and left it for 1/2 hour :)


Image

That should get rid of most of any greasy bits!

I also had to make some kind of mesh filter to hold it all in my packed section, luckily the wife didn't notice a stainless sieve going missing

Image

I cut around one of the copper plates used to hold the bubble caps in place on the SD baby crystal dragon, so my mesh would be held in place by one of the SD silicone gaskets.


Image

Then it was just a case of filling the CD section with the packing, once I'd rinsed it a few times of course

Image


Image

Now it just needs a good test run, the packed section is 520mm high with an internal diameter of 55mm, I'm not 100% sure of the HETP of 4mm SPP but I could hit AZEOTROPE with the same section filled with SS Scrubbies when it's used above 3 x 4" bubble plates.

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:58 pm


]]>