StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2016-09-24T22:49:43+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=3&t=4250 2016-09-24T22:49:43+00:00 2016-09-24T22:49:43+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4250&p=37294#p37294 <![CDATA[Re: Oxidised 'Country Port' Style wine]]>
inspector gadget wrote:
I love old French cafe's where all the copper cooking pots hang from the ceiling.


If you have seen a cafe with a real "zinc" counter recently, then you are walking in my shoes.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:49 pm


]]>
2016-09-24T06:36:11+00:00 2016-09-24T06:36:11+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4250&p=37279#p37279 <![CDATA[Re: Oxidised 'Country Port' Style wine]]>
i'm hunting for more old coppers today...

Statistics: Posted by inspector gadget — Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:36 am


]]>
2016-09-24T00:21:43+00:00 2016-09-24T00:21:43+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4250&p=37271#p37271 <![CDATA[Re: Oxidised 'Country Port' Style wine]]>
I wish that was true, but once you have cleaned them for first use, and who wouldn't, they will have lost the magic power to do so ;D

Some parts of life are pretty awful.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:21 am


]]>
2016-09-23T18:54:12+00:00 2016-09-23T18:54:12+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4250&p=37263#p37263 <![CDATA[Re: Oxidised 'Country Port' Style wine]]>
Mash wrote:
Oh I chop copper - have some of that in there too.

.........but still prefer coinage for the added benefits.



I have some pre great war pennies, will it age my spirit accordingly?

Statistics: Posted by inspector gadget — Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:54 pm


]]>
2016-09-23T06:09:17+00:00 2016-09-23T06:09:17+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4250&p=37251#p37251 <![CDATA[Re: Oxidised 'Country Port' Style wine]]>
.........but still prefer coinage for the added benefits.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:09 am


]]>
2016-09-22T22:28:33+00:00 2016-09-22T22:28:33+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4250&p=37246#p37246 <![CDATA[Re: Oxidised 'Country Port' Style wine]]>

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:28 pm


]]>
2016-09-22T09:17:59+00:00 2016-09-22T09:17:59+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4250&p=37227#p37227 <![CDATA[Re: Oxidised 'Country Port' Style wine]]>
Easydrinker wrote:
I am agreeing with mash on most of his runnning advice.
It seems that you have the to-do list organised.
Throw any old bits of copper in the still.... Mash has his coinage bonnet on most days, but most self builders produce their own copper scraps, and they all work!

Robert.


LOL. Yup - they do all work.


PS..coinage is a bit better though :) :)

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:17 am


]]>
2016-09-21T22:07:17+00:00 2016-09-21T22:07:17+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4250&p=37212#p37212 <![CDATA[Re: Oxidised 'Country Port' Style wine]]> It seems that you have the to-do list organised.
Throw any old bits of copper in the still.... Mash has his coinage bonnet on most days, but most self builders produce their own copper scraps, and they all work!

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:07 pm


]]>
2016-09-21T21:29:28+00:00 2016-09-21T21:29:28+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4250&p=37207#p37207 <![CDATA[Re: Oxidised 'Country Port' Style wine]]>
Thanks for the suggestion. I probably should have mentioned that I have an Air Still but I think you guessed that. I do have some copper coins that I use although not enough to cover the bottom yet.

So would you suggest a stripping run down to about 30% and then dilute the bulk down to 30% and do normal cuts on the spirit run? Would you add in some of the tails?

I should probably suck it and see.

Thanks again.

Statistics: Posted by Phil — Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:29 pm


]]>
2016-09-21T18:25:37+00:00 2016-09-21T18:25:37+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4250&p=37196#p37196 <![CDATA[Re: Oxidised 'Country Port' Style wine]]>
Get some coinage it the bottom of the still. Run as normal. You might find a slight bit of caramelised straining when you have finished. 2 seconds with a stainless steel scrubby will solve.

PS of you don't want to distill your port next time, use more sulphite.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:25 pm


]]>
2016-09-21T14:11:50+00:00 2016-09-21T14:11:50+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4250&p=37191#p37191 <![CDATA[Oxidised 'Country Port' Style wine]]>
A couple of years ago I made a large batch of 'Country Port' style wine. If you've not come across this before it's about 3Kg of mixed red fruit per gallon and then fermented with a high alcohol wine yeast with regular additions of sugar to get to about 17% alcohol by volume and finished sweet with lots of residual sugar.

Most of the batch is fine but I have a couple of gallons that have oxidised so have a distinct "sherry" taste to them which is not what I wanted.

I could use the result for cooking but I would need to make a lot of casseroles to get through 2 gallons!

Any suggestions? Could I distill these and get anything useful? I'm guessing the major problem is the residual sugar - I could dilute the port 50/50 and introduce a vigorous yeast starter to get rid of the sugar if you think it might be worth the effort.

I know the answer is to try it and see but I was wondering if anyone has done something similar.

Statistics: Posted by Phil — Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:11 pm


]]>