StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2013-09-27T18:18:32+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=7&t=2611 2013-09-27T18:18:32+00:00 2013-09-27T18:18:32+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2611&p=16116#p16116 <![CDATA[Re: Wash Clearing]]>

After 26 hours they look like this...

Image

...now that's what I call a cleared wash even though the ambient temp in the workshop has been 20oC this past week ;)

AM 8)

Statistics: Posted by Almanac — Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:18 pm


]]>
2013-09-25T20:14:23+00:00 2013-09-25T20:14:23+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2611&p=16079#p16079 <![CDATA[Re: Wash Clearing]]> Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:14 pm


]]>
2013-09-25T18:22:10+00:00 2013-09-25T18:22:10+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2611&p=16077#p16077 <![CDATA[Re: Wash Clearing]]>

Also, degassing is essential to clearing a wash. If this is done without racking the process of clearing will take much longer ;)

AM 8)

Statistics: Posted by Almanac — Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:22 pm


]]>
2013-09-25T14:28:26+00:00 2013-09-25T14:28:26+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2611&p=16072#p16072 <![CDATA[Re: Wash Clearing]]>

Would the winemaking practice of racking speed up the clearing any?

Statistics: Posted by John51 — Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:28 pm


]]>
2013-09-25T07:05:34+00:00 2013-09-25T07:05:34+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2611&p=16069#p16069 <![CDATA[Re: Wash Clearing]]>

The description of this product,in the link posted by Chuck, is very misleading in it's description of Sparkolloid, it's preparation and use. (Not Chuck's fault)

Correct dosage is 1tsp per gallon, mixed in 2 cups of boiling water and simmered until all the powder is dissolved and the liquid has a milky colour. The liquid should NOT be put in a blender, or mixed with wine/wash nor allowed to cool before being added to the wash. ;D

With Sparkolloid, 99% of standard distillers ferments will be clear in 24 hours and even those with difficult haze will be cleared in 48hours - I've never seen it fail ;)

Plus, Sparkolloid is hugely cheaper, wash for wash, than any other clearing agent.

I buy it in from Brewhaus in Texas where Rick and the gang are very friendly and helpful. I live in Ireland and it's definitely worth my while to import this product. A 4oz pack costs $2.95 and will clear 13 X 25lt washes - you do the math! Even with shipping cost it's absolutely worth every penny.

This definitely gets my "Product of the Year" stamp. ;)

AM 8)

Statistics: Posted by Almanac — Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:05 am


]]>
2013-09-24T22:13:27+00:00 2013-09-24T22:13:27+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2611&p=16064#p16064 <![CDATA[Re: Wash Clearing]]> Interesting read, and to maybe find a use for all the frozen egg whites residing in my freezer -all other albumen finings recipes I found were lengthy and complicated,it might state that it is only used on red wine,I think I'm gonna give it a go on a sugar wash....

@ John51,freeing up space is a big consideration for me!

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:13 pm


]]>
2013-09-24T15:35:44+00:00 2013-09-24T15:35:44+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2611&p=16063#p16063 <![CDATA[Re: Wash Clearing]]> Even with clearing agents, some don't clear and I run them cloudy.

I ran across this interesting list:
http://www.101winemaking.com/fining.htm

Chuck

Statistics: Posted by chill — Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:35 pm


]]>
2013-09-24T14:22:26+00:00 2013-09-24T14:22:26+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2611&p=16062#p16062 <![CDATA[Re: Wash Clearing]]>
Maybe saving space?

Statistics: Posted by John51 — Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:22 pm


]]>
2013-09-24T06:42:22+00:00 2013-09-24T06:42:22+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2611&p=16061#p16061 <![CDATA[Re: Wash Clearing]]>

You're right, of course, it was just a silly idea that it might be possible to make a faux Sparkolloid-like fining additive by using the Diatomacaeous Earth and something like gelatine or dried albumen. ::)

Brain Fart :D :D

AM 8)

Statistics: Posted by Almanac — Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:42 am


]]>
2013-08-06T19:11:31+00:00 2013-08-06T19:11:31+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2611&p=15634#p15634 <![CDATA[Re: Wash Clearing]]> http://www.makewine.com/winemaking/finishing/fining/#7
http://brewersconnection.com/popup/Cata ... lloid.html

Chuck

Statistics: Posted by chill — Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:11 pm


]]>
2013-08-06T19:02:57+00:00 2013-08-06T19:02:57+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2611&p=15633#p15633 <![CDATA[Wash Clearing]]>
I just found this....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diaguard%C2%AE- ... escription

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth ;D @ 12.50 for 2kg ;)

This has got to be worth a try ;D

AM 8)

Statistics: Posted by Almanac — Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:02 pm


]]>