StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2015-09-20T10:02:52+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=15&t=3660 2015-09-20T10:02:52+00:00 2015-09-20T10:02:52+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3660&p=28234#p28234 <![CDATA[Re: Upgrade to fermentation fridge.]]> I can't start to change it at the moment as I have last Sat IPA in the fridge.
As the STC is a lot smaller than the ATC I'll have to get another box, who knows I may find another old fridge for the ATC... ;D

I must admit though I think the 750w tube heater is OTT...will have to look out for something a lot lower... :-\

Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:02 am


]]>
2015-09-13T17:39:32+00:00 2015-09-13T17:39:32+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3660&p=28110#p28110 <![CDATA[Re: Upgrade to fermentation fridge.]]>
Here it is

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/view ... =6&t=49655

At first I didn't have an STC 1000 and ended up using two contrlers, I fitted the STC 1000 after the thread ended but you can see my 65 watt heater bar at the bottom of the fridge.

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:39 pm


]]>
2015-09-13T13:39:32+00:00 2015-09-13T13:39:32+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3660&p=28109#p28109 <![CDATA[Re: Upgrade to fermentation fridge.]]>

I may have to re-think my heater??

Anavrin wrote:
It is indeed an STC 1000, happy days, I'll have a search for the flash programmers, see how much they cost.


As I understand the software is open-source here I hope I've got that correct.. ;) then this guy shows how to do it...for me anyway :D :D

Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:39 pm


]]>
2015-09-13T09:26:03+00:00 2015-09-13T09:26:03+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3660&p=28107#p28107 <![CDATA[Re: Upgrade to fermentation fridge.]]>
Image

It is indeed an STC 1000, happy days, I'll have a search for the flash programmers, see how much they cost.

Another point to mention thats oftern overlooked or not even considered when building a fermenting fridge is the power of the heater and cooling capacity of the fridge, if both are too powerful, you will always get an over shoot in temp as it will continue to heat or cool for a short while after the heater or cooling has been switched off, if the controller trying to maintain the temp too closely it will always be chasing the set temperature and never stabilise.

That's where a PID comes into its own, it can be programmed to control a heating / cooling circuit in proportion to the temperature difference, so a PID will directly control a heating element via an SSR and as the temperature nears its setpoint, it will automatically reduce the heat to prevent over shoot, I have one that I liberated from a job at work but I've never had the time to play with it.

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:26 am


]]>
2015-09-13T09:07:11+00:00 2015-09-13T09:07:11+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3660&p=28106#p28106 <![CDATA[Re: Upgrade to fermentation fridge.]]> this one.

Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:07 am


]]>
2015-09-13T08:51:57+00:00 2015-09-13T08:51:57+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3660&p=28105#p28105 <![CDATA[Re: Upgrade to fermentation fridge.]]>
We're off up the lottie in the next hour, got a lot to do, get set for the end of year.

I'm going ahead with ordering a STC1000 now, if only to upgrade the brew fridge to work in smaller temp steps.. ;)

Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:51 am


]]>
2015-09-13T08:40:13+00:00 2015-09-13T08:40:13+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3660&p=28104#p28104 <![CDATA[Re: Upgrade to fermentation fridge.]]>
http://youtu.be/nZst7ETP-w8

I knew they could be flashed but I wasn't aware of what new features you could do, this is ideal for storing several step mash profiles, and controlling a RIMS/Herms setup, I'm going to have to get one of these programmers :)

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:40 am


]]>
2015-09-13T07:52:52+00:00 2015-09-13T07:52:52+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3660&p=28102#p28102 <![CDATA[Re: Upgrade to fermentation fridge.]]> Video that runs through what & how to flash a 1000.
I have an Arduino that I've been having a "play" with, just to help me understand how they work...now I'm no geek when it comes to stuff like this...but I do seem to make sense of it all in my own time.

I think for £10/12 off Ebay it would be worth having a punt on it.

Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:52 am


]]>
2015-09-13T07:30:29+00:00 2015-09-13T07:30:29+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3660&p=28101#p28101 <![CDATA[Re: Upgrade to fermentation fridge.]]>
However it can't be set too precise as there needs to be a time delay in between switching the fridge compressor on/off of a few mins to protect the pump.

I have it set at +/- 0.7°c and have the temp probe on the inside wall of fridge so it just keeps the internal air of the fridge at the setpoint.

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:30 am


]]>
2015-09-13T05:40:54+00:00 2015-09-13T05:40:54+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3660&p=28098#p28098 <![CDATA[Upgrade to fermentation fridge.]]>
Who of you guys run a STC 1000 in such a setup?? am I correct in thinking that the 1000 is good for +/- 0.5 degrees ??.

I noticed my fridge yesterday floating between 17c up as far as 19c....it's set at 18c for the IPA I brewed.

Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:40 am


]]>