StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2015-09-26T11:18:11+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=2&t=3666 2015-09-26T11:18:11+00:00 2015-09-26T11:18:11+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3666&p=28360#p28360 <![CDATA[Re: Honey Wash Advice]]> Statistics: Posted by RumJohn — Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:18 am


]]>
2015-09-25T20:44:09+00:00 2015-09-25T20:44:09+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3666&p=28354#p28354 <![CDATA[Re: Honey Wash Advice]]>
Benoit

Statistics: Posted by Benoit — Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:44 pm


]]>
2015-09-23T13:31:56+00:00 2015-09-23T13:31:56+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3666&p=28308#p28308 <![CDATA[Re: Honey Wash Advice]]> Now then next question, if this looks like it will be done in the next couple of days how long would you leave it before racking into another bucket? I've read leaving it on the gunk for a few days can help chew up some off flavours, I've also read mead (which I guess this is?) benefits from a few weeks maturation if anyone has any advice on that? Would you use any finings?

Thanks again for your advice and interest

Benoit

Statistics: Posted by Benoit — Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:31 pm


]]>
2015-09-22T04:28:58+00:00 2015-09-22T04:28:58+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3666&p=28283#p28283 <![CDATA[Re: Honey Wash Advice]]> Statistics: Posted by Mash — Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:28 am


]]>
2015-09-21T23:07:29+00:00 2015-09-21T23:07:29+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3666&p=28278#p28278 <![CDATA[Re: Honey Wash Advice]]>
Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:07 pm


]]>
2015-09-21T08:50:53+00:00 2015-09-21T08:50:53+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3666&p=28261#p28261 <![CDATA[Re: Honey Wash Advice]]> The raisins have lost most of their colour, some have emptied out entirely & the skins are floating about full of bubbles. I dropped the hydrometer in & it's dropped from 1.05 to 1.025, pH is about 5
Going quite well for a first attempt!

Benoit

Statistics: Posted by Benoit — Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:50 am


]]>
2015-09-19T13:35:43+00:00 2015-09-19T13:35:43+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3666&p=28210#p28210 <![CDATA[Re: Honey Wash Advice]]>
Benoit

Statistics: Posted by Benoit — Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:35 pm


]]>
2015-09-19T07:14:38+00:00 2015-09-19T07:14:38+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3666&p=28207#p28207 <![CDATA[Re: Honey Wash Advice]]>
Honey is one product that does require pH adjustment even if the brix is low because it can dramatically affect the acidity.. Back on the cockles!

Phantom!!

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:14 am


]]>
2015-09-19T00:21:53+00:00 2015-09-19T00:21:53+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3666&p=28206#p28206 <![CDATA[Re: Honey Wash Advice]]> I don't know anything on the subject really, just an idea that popped into my head!

Benoit

Statistics: Posted by Benoit — Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:21 am


]]>
2015-09-19T00:05:59+00:00 2015-09-19T00:05:59+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3666&p=28205#p28205 <![CDATA[Re: Honey Wash Advice]]>
That is my current theory.

Chuck

Statistics: Posted by chill — Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:05 am


]]>
2015-09-19T00:15:11+00:00 2015-09-18T23:43:32+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3666&p=28202#p28202 <![CDATA[Re: Honey Wash Advice]]> Done a lot of reading & honey always caught my attention for some reason?! I guess the plan is to try & get something around the 60% mark then oak for a couple of months & finish off with a spoonful of fresh honey when it's bottled. Sounds like a good Xmas morning warmer, I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

Benoit

Statistics: Posted by Benoit — Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:43 pm


]]>
2015-09-18T23:27:17+00:00 2015-09-18T23:27:17+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3666&p=28199#p28199 <![CDATA[Re: Honey Wash Advice]]> Sometimes my washes grow a big,sometimes foamy,sometimes creamy head.
Sometimes this disappears and just leaves a whole lot of visible bubble activity.
As long as it is bubbling it is good,it should only stop doing so when finished.
Relax.
BTW,that is a funky wash that you have going there,let us know how it turns out.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:27 pm


]]>
2015-09-18T22:30:01+00:00 2015-09-18T22:30:01+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3666&p=28197#p28197 <![CDATA[Honey Wash Advice]]>
My recipe was:
10x jars of honey (approx 3.4kg)
2x tbsp boiled yeast (for nutrient)
1x big handful minced raisins (for nutrient)
5 litres of hot water to dissolve it all then made up to 20 litres with warm water until the temp settled at 28°C
Aerated for 15mins
Checked pH & added half tsp of citric acid
Pitched rehydrated yeast (2x tbsp's bakers)

If I'm reading this hydrometer correctly then the starting gravity was 1.05 with a potential alcohol of 8%, I don't plan on checking this again for another week unless it seems to have stopped. I thought the cap would last longer, I'm I worried for nothing?

Benoit

Statistics: Posted by Benoit — Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:30 pm


]]>