StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2016-04-23T05:25:24+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=4&t=244 2016-04-23T05:25:24+00:00 2016-04-23T05:25:24+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244&p=33718#p33718 <![CDATA[Re: Essencia Carbon Filter]]> keep up the good work.

Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:25 am


]]>
2016-04-23T04:48:55+00:00 2016-04-23T04:48:55+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244&p=33710#p33710 <![CDATA[Re: Essencia Carbon Filter]]>
Vodka is supposed to be flavorless, but there's always at least a hint of an aftertaste. It's fun learning the different tastes. This batch is distinctively difrerent from my other vodka batches.

Statistics: Posted by m314 — Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:48 am


]]>
2016-04-22T04:19:03+00:00 2016-04-22T04:19:03+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244&p=33653#p33653 <![CDATA[Re: Essencia Carbon Filter]]> http://imgur.com/AL7S3Ja

My new batch of rum. :) I'm going to age some jars with medium toast oak chips and some with heavy toast oak chips. Some with no oak chips.

It's kinda off topic for this thread. It would be a shame to lose that rich molasses flavor with filtering. It's just a little strong and harsh brand new.

Statistics: Posted by m314 — Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:19 am


]]>
2016-04-22T04:12:49+00:00 2016-04-22T04:12:49+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244&p=33652#p33652 <![CDATA[Re: Essencia Carbon Filter]]> http://imgur.com/0wfZJfo

I'm distilling more vodka tonight. :) I've had 5 gallons of Birdwatchers low wines sitting around for months now. A basic sugar / tomato paste wash. I hope this turns out well after filtering.

I don't taste tomato, exactly, but it seems a little harsh so far at 190ish proof. My wheat germ / sugar vodka came off the still smooth and with a pleasantly grainy aftertaste. I'm already fermenting 32 gallons of wheat germ / sugar wash for flavored "whiskey". I should start a new batch specifically for vodka this weekend.

Statistics: Posted by m314 — Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:12 am


]]>
2016-04-22T04:00:34+00:00 2016-04-22T04:00:34+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244&p=33651#p33651 <![CDATA[Re: Essencia Carbon Filter]]>
I got carried away with the last batch and used too much molasses. It has a seriously strong molasses flavor after 2 distillations. It kinda grows on you after a while. I have 19 quarts of it, so I hope it mellows out a little with aging.

Statistics: Posted by m314 — Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:00 am


]]>
2016-04-18T00:04:06+00:00 2016-04-18T00:04:06+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244&p=33538#p33538 <![CDATA[Re: Essencia Carbon Filter]]> A little unsure what you are saying regards the rum, my advice, don't strip it.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:04 am


]]>
2016-04-17T19:07:01+00:00 2016-04-17T19:07:01+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244&p=33514#p33514 <![CDATA[Re: Essencia Carbon Filter]]>
I finally got around to filtering my wheat germ vodka this weekend. This is the first premium vodka I've made. :) It has pretty much no taste and no burn at 80 proof. I've tried so many batches of vodka so far. This is the first time I got it right, with the help of the Essencia filter.

Statistics: Posted by m314 — Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:07 pm


]]>
2016-04-12T05:52:04+00:00 2016-04-12T05:52:04+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244&p=33365#p33365 <![CDATA[Re: Essencia Carbon Filter]]>
You do need to change the carbon though, my next batch of neutral had a slight hint of rum to it!

It's quite possibly the most useful but of kit I've bought so far, like others say though, I believe 50% spirt is the absolute max you can use, and it will shorten the usefull life of the filters, Essencia recommend changing the carbon one after 40 litres at 40%, cant remember off the top of my head but it's much lower at 50%.

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:52 am


]]>
2016-04-12T00:47:19+00:00 2016-04-12T00:47:19+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244&p=33362#p33362 <![CDATA[Re: Essencia Carbon Filter]]>
I was busy working on rum over the weekend, so I let this batch take its time and finish slowly. I'll try the suggestions here next weekend with my wheat germ batch. Soaking the ceramic filter upside down in spirit, tapping to get the air bubbles out, that sounds like it would work.

Even with the slow speed, I love the quality from the first batch. The lentil vodka turned out smoother and better tasting after 1 run through the filter. Before this I was used to doing multiple runs through a Britta pitcher with less dramatic results.

Statistics: Posted by m314 — Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:47 am


]]>
2016-04-12T00:18:58+00:00 2016-04-12T00:18:58+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244&p=33361#p33361 <![CDATA[Re: Essencia Carbon Filter]]> Please acknowledge receipt of instruction not to run spirit above 45% through Essencia, unless having a laugh. :)
One life, Live it.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:18 am


]]>
2016-04-11T02:29:58+00:00 2016-04-11T02:29:58+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244&p=33327#p33327 <![CDATA[Re: Essencia Carbon Filter,]]> Be careful with running anything stronger than 45% ABV through the filter, the charcoal won't do what it is there for.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:29 am


]]>
2016-04-10T21:42:18+00:00 2016-04-10T21:42:18+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244&p=33320#p33320 <![CDATA[Re: Essencia Carbon Filter]]>
Eventually it will sink and you know all the airs gone, you could also clean the outside of the ceramic dome with a sponge to remove anything clogging the pores.

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:42 pm


]]>
2016-04-10T17:37:05+00:00 2016-04-10T17:37:05+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244&p=33311#p33311 <![CDATA[Re: Essencia Carbon Filter]]>
I might try a higher proof with the next batch.

Statistics: Posted by m314 — Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:37 pm


]]>
2016-04-10T17:10:03+00:00 2016-04-10T17:10:03+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244&p=33308#p33308 <![CDATA[Re: Essencia Carbon Filter]]>
There is a thread about this on here somewhere and I am sure there is a benefit to running higher proof.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:10 pm


]]>
2016-04-10T16:26:51+00:00 2016-04-10T16:26:51+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244&p=33305#p33305 <![CDATA[Re: Essencia Carbon Filter]]>
I never knew I was a pirate. :) I shouldn't be drinking rum and coke at 9 am, but the UFC is on. I'm trying to finish distilling this batch of rum today.

I love the quality of the vodka coming out of my Essencia filter, but it's taking forever. It has filtered about 3 liters at 80 proof over the last day and a half.

Statistics: Posted by m314 — Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:26 pm


]]>