StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2017-04-18T04:58:32+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=1&t=4514 2017-04-18T04:58:32+00:00 2017-04-17T05:50:48+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4514&p=42687#p42687 <![CDATA[Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels]]>
This is to prevent pressure on the yeast at the bottom and temperature layering which can have an adverse effect on the product.

Larger ferments (to a point) are easier to manage.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:50 am


]]>
2017-04-16T21:27:34+00:00 2017-04-16T21:27:34+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4514&p=42685#p42685 <![CDATA[Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels]]>
If you are in the UK/Ireland, fermenting washes in summer should be fine as we almost never get over the 30 degree mark. Only issue could be temperature change between day and night.

Statistics: Posted by Curmudgeon — Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:27 pm


]]>
2017-04-16T20:02:51+00:00 2017-04-16T20:02:51+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4514&p=42682#p42682 <![CDATA[Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels]]>
My back is shot so lifting is totally out of the equasion and I even struggle with 25 litres.

A mate was on about a few of the blue barrels today on our way home from a boys weekend on Dartmoor. he lives on a farm and there are plenty about. Will see what he's got in a few days.

Statistics: Posted by Chubbs — Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:02 pm


]]>
2017-04-16T09:52:04+00:00 2017-04-16T09:52:04+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4514&p=42681#p42681 <![CDATA[Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels]]>
Easydrinker wrote:
Getting on in years, I would have to plan a mashing/brewing system greater than 25 litres.,
There are weights that I can comfortably lift and others that I cannot.

Robert.


Concur. I once made a double batch (50 litres) in one of my 54ltr carboys and after ball busting effort to carry it down to the shed, I vowed never to bother with it like that again.

The blue drums can be found in 25, 50 and 205 litre sizes. I'd suggest not using the 205 unless you have some sort of cooling arrangement, as the ferment can clock up some warmth i.e. fermentation is exothermic, so once you get over a certain size, you need cooling before it gets warm enough to either stall the ferment or even kill off the yeast.

I certainly wouldn't use a 1000 litre IBC unless i had some sort of cooling (maybe a wort chiller, or even pump through a heat exchanger)..........

Many like the Spiedel fermenters. The ones I've seen are about 60 litres capacity (and I'd still use a pump ;D ).......

Statistics: Posted by Phantom — Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:52 am


]]>
2017-04-06T22:45:30+00:00 2017-04-06T22:45:30+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4514&p=42507#p42507 <![CDATA[Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels]]> There are weights that I can comfortably lift and others that I cannot.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:45 pm


]]>
2017-04-06T20:38:30+00:00 2017-04-06T20:38:30+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4514&p=42498#p42498 <![CDATA[Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels]]>
What I do remember is that the John Bull kit range were the first I made, and even then I realised they were shite.

Statistics: Posted by Chubbs — Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:38 pm


]]>
2017-04-06T20:22:09+00:00 2017-04-06T20:22:09+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4514&p=42497#p42497 <![CDATA[Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels]]> Statistics: Posted by Mash — Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:22 pm


]]>
2017-04-06T19:56:28+00:00 2017-04-06T19:56:28+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4514&p=42496#p42496 <![CDATA[Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels]]>
Using a bigger vessel will be more of an advantage to be honest. Not going to bother until after the warmer months as it will take me a while to sort the shed and I have never brewed much in the Summer due to the increased risk of brews going bad.

I know some do brew all the year round but it was just a bit of advice picked up from a neighbour who introduced me to wine and beer making in the mid eighties when I was a young lad, and something I have stuck to ever since no matter whether the advice was right or wrong.

It also feels like a sauna in there at times because of the metal roof and it has no windows for ventilation. At least the delay will give me time to plan it out properly, slim down on shed contents as once its done, it won't be changing.

Statistics: Posted by Chubbs — Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:56 pm


]]>
2017-04-06T14:54:00+00:00 2017-04-06T14:54:00+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4514&p=42492#p42492 <![CDATA[Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels]]> Statistics: Posted by RumJohn — Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:54 pm


]]>
2017-04-06T16:14:20+00:00 2017-04-06T06:15:02+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4514&p=42487#p42487 <![CDATA[Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels]]> Statistics: Posted by Mash — Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:15 am


]]>
2017-04-05T19:41:00+00:00 2017-04-05T19:41:00+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4514&p=42484#p42484 <![CDATA[Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels]]> I don't have mine on a bench so just lift one fermenter on to the top of one of the other barrels to syphon it off.
Its 50kg+ so depends on how good your back is. every time I do it, I think I must sort this out, maybe next year ;D

Statistics: Posted by Capt-Cudellez — Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:41 pm


]]>
2017-04-05T18:15:18+00:00 2017-04-05T18:15:18+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4514&p=42483#p42483 <![CDATA[Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels]]>
Never thought about transferring the brew but I do have a Totton Pumps Legacy Glycol pump that I bought a few years ago. It was originally used for homebrew so should be good for the purpose.

I'm seriously considering moving all my brewing into the shed as there really isn't enough space in the kitchen and I have everything I need in there, including a woodburner, internet connection, tv, radio and even a soakaway put in with waste pipe for when I was going to put a sink in.

So, there we go. Original post was about brewing in bigger tubs and now I see a man cave conversion coming on for brewing.

Statistics: Posted by Chubbs — Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:15 pm


]]>
2017-04-05T17:49:16+00:00 2017-04-05T17:49:16+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4514&p=42482#p42482 <![CDATA[Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels]]> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AM5RZKA

These seem like a good deal, but you'd need a pump system of some sort for shifting stuff.

Statistics: Posted by Curmudgeon — Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:49 pm


]]>
2017-04-05T12:32:08+00:00 2017-04-05T12:32:08+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4514&p=42480#p42480 <![CDATA[Larger Fermenting Vessels]]>
Just sat here looking at my two wine fermenters in the kitchen and started thinking about a larger fermenting vessel.

Now the man cave is sorted my next project is to build a bench out of 4 x 2 for my woodturning lathe. As there will be a bit of an area left, I'm thinking about extending the bench further to accommodate either the two Youngs fermenters or a larger vessel.

Do any of you guys ferment in vessels of 10 gallons upwards. If so, would you please point me in the right direction for something suitable.

I have previously seen some of those blue mango chutney containers for sale. Are these any good for brewing, considering the colour and what they use to hold.

Cheers

Statistics: Posted by Chubbs — Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:32 pm


]]>