StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2015-08-11T04:09:47+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=2&t=3518 2015-08-11T04:09:47+00:00 2015-08-11T04:09:47+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3518&p=27498#p27498 <![CDATA[Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation]]>

Statistics: Posted by chill — Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:09 am


]]>
2015-08-11T02:06:38+00:00 2015-08-11T02:06:38+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3518&p=27496#p27496 <![CDATA[Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation]]>
chill wrote:
I would run them. Molasses has enough unfermentable bits that the gravity won't get anywhere near 1.

Chuck


Holy crap batman; fined the buckets this morning 3 hours later there's 30-35mm gunk built up across the bottoms. Turbo Clear at work.

Statistics: Posted by packapoo — Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:06 am


]]>
2015-08-10T04:00:45+00:00 2015-08-10T04:00:45+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3518&p=27474#p27474 <![CDATA[Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation]]>
Chuck, I'd overlooked the unfermentables that come with molasses.

RJ, I cocked up my calcs putting this together. That's the reason why the two weren't of the same OSG. Intent was to start at around 1080-82. Thanks for your guide for when I run it, too.

Ed, Take your point but that's another 'ing' I try to avoid - Ph-ing, turbo-ing and filter-ing.... ;D

Statistics: Posted by packapoo — Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:00 am


]]>
2015-08-10T00:06:11+00:00 2015-08-10T00:06:11+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3518&p=27472#p27472 <![CDATA[Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation]]> After the initial fast fizz,and slow down,I check Ph,anything under 4,with some slow activity,I add a teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda,little at a time,to a 23 litre wash.
I may do this twice,but expect the wash to be finished soon after.
I haven't had a stalled wash recently,maybe it is Karma,maybe it is magic.
I don't really care.It seems to work.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:06 am


]]>
2015-08-09T23:57:34+00:00 2015-08-09T23:57:34+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3518&p=27471#p27471 <![CDATA[Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation]]>
If using the PD-A, do a strip run, accumulate and then a spirit run. Use no extension, no packing and no reflux. Once you have reached a boil and product is coming off, back off the heat. Do the math and determine how much alcohol you should pull off. When finished, ley it breath a while.

You should have a good rum.

Statistics: Posted by RumJohn — Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:57 pm


]]>
2015-08-09T20:43:57+00:00 2015-08-09T20:43:57+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3518&p=27464#p27464 <![CDATA[Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation]]>
Chuck

Statistics: Posted by chill — Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:43 pm


]]>
2015-08-09T19:18:04+00:00 2015-08-09T19:18:04+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3518&p=27462#p27462 <![CDATA[Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation]]> Is this too high to accept for final SGs?
Heating set to range from 22 to 25 degrees, contents are warm to touch so temp adjusted FSGs would be lower. AV calc is same for both, around 11.6%. Maybe I should have used some buffer originally, it's too late now though.
Guess all I can do is clear them then run, unless anyone out there has something to encourage me otherwise ???

Statistics: Posted by packapoo — Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:18 pm


]]>
2015-05-13T23:55:30+00:00 2015-05-13T23:55:30+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3518&p=25974#p25974 <![CDATA[Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation]]> You will find virtually all of the information that you need to run the air still well,is already in the archives of this site.
And chill is probably the person here with the most experience of using one,seemingly for just about any spirit that you can think of.
Happy Stilling.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Wed May 13, 2015 11:55 pm


]]>
2015-05-13T20:41:34+00:00 2015-05-13T20:41:34+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3518&p=25965#p25965 <![CDATA[Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation]]>
I've only ever used the Still Spirits fermentation and clearing packs in a sugar wash. I can usually drink any old crap at times but I now really want to start making decent spirits. I knew something was wrong when I distilled my last wash and it tasted bad.

Statistics: Posted by Still Brewing — Wed May 13, 2015 8:41 pm


]]>
2015-05-13T20:15:30+00:00 2015-05-13T20:15:30+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3518&p=25962#p25962 <![CDATA[Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation]]>
I have been upgrading from my AirStill for a few years now. ;D One of these days, perhaps... In the meantime I have learned how to make some decent product.

Chuck

Statistics: Posted by chill — Wed May 13, 2015 8:15 pm


]]>
2015-05-13T19:53:06+00:00 2015-05-13T19:53:06+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3518&p=25961#p25961 <![CDATA[Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation]]>
No, I didn't check the water PH, its something I never thought about. On this occasion its too late because I have already cleared it ready to go into the still but will grab a testing kit to add to my armoury.

When it comes to making spirits I'm a complete novice and have always made it the same way as shown in the vids by a UK supplier of Smart Stills. Now that I know a finer spirit can be made at home using this basic still I'm very eager to learn.

I don't think I will ever be able to upgrade from the Smart Still so I hope I will get the best from it.

Statistics: Posted by Still Brewing — Wed May 13, 2015 7:53 pm


]]>
2015-05-12T19:08:53+00:00 2015-05-12T19:08:53+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3518&p=25934#p25934 <![CDATA[Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation]]> Statistics: Posted by chill — Tue May 12, 2015 7:08 pm


]]>
2015-05-12T18:53:43+00:00 2015-05-12T18:53:43+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3518&p=25932#p25932 <![CDATA[Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation]]>
I gave it a right good stir and left it a few more days. The temperature was fine and it finally dropped a little more down to 1004, but no more.

I've now gone ahead and racked it off and started the clearing process as its been brewing for over two weeks now and I want to avoid any sort of infection. TBH, I have never managed to get the FG much below 1000 before. Don't know why, I have always kept the temperature right and have even used a stick thermostat when its been cold.

From now on I'm going to try the Vodka Star yeast like you guys do as I have been using Still Spirits packs from day one. Maybe that might make a difference.

Statistics: Posted by Still Brewing — Tue May 12, 2015 6:53 pm


]]>
2015-05-11T14:01:29+00:00 2015-05-11T14:01:29+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3518&p=25904#p25904 <![CDATA[Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation]]>
Mr Four Square wrote:
Stick your head in the bucket and have a sniff. If it feels like someone's just jabbed a pencil up each nostril it's still fermenting.


LMAO

Mr Four Square wrote:
Yeast will triumph over us all in the end


Not wrong there.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Mon May 11, 2015 2:01 pm


]]>
2015-05-11T08:20:06+00:00 2015-05-11T08:20:06+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3518&p=25901#p25901 <![CDATA[Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation]]>
I used to panic when the airlock stopped bubbling. What's gone wrong ? Is it stalled? How do you make a nutrient bomb? I have much more relaxed attitude now. If you used a decent amount of yeast to kick it off then it's likely just slowly chomping its way through the wash. Stick your head in the bucket and have a sniff. If it feels like someone's just jabbed a pencil up each nostril it's still fermenting.

Fruit ferments sitting in a bowl on the sideboard. No airlock. No Ph strips or dap. Yeast will triumph over us all in the end . O0

Statistics: Posted by Mr Four Square — Mon May 11, 2015 8:20 am


]]>