StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2018-02-19T23:56:33+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=3&t=4812 2018-02-19T23:56:33+00:00 2018-02-19T23:56:33+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4812&p=47300#p47300 <![CDATA[Re: Back at it]]> Cuts on your initial runs may negate a reason for doing either later run.
This really is something that all should try and experience for themselves.
Discovering the parts of Hearts that work for you is part of a blenders art.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:56 pm


]]>
2018-02-19T18:46:49+00:00 2018-02-19T18:46:49+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4812&p=47296#p47296 <![CDATA[Re: Back at it]]> 800ml heads
Kept around 3L not measured yet as its being kept in DJ at the minute
Left about 1200ml of tails
Is it just me or does anybody else like the taste more at the end of hearts before the change into tails, feels like there slightly more flavour.

Now il keep the heads in a bottle and tails in a bottle

Can I redistill both ? I presume the head run once I have 4l will produce the better vodka than 4l of tail run

Statistics: Posted by Distillingchris — Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:46 pm


]]>
2018-02-18T23:06:14+00:00 2018-02-18T23:06:14+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4812&p=47283#p47283 <![CDATA[Re: Back at it]]>
I would expect just over 3 litres of hearts after the cuts, you might find a little more, so around 6-7 litres of 40% spirit after proofing.

Enjoy ;D

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:06 pm


]]>
2018-02-18T20:00:44+00:00 2018-02-18T20:00:44+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4812&p=47281#p47281 <![CDATA[Re: Back at it]]> So from the beginning
6x100ml
2x 200ml
4x 500ml
10x200ml
10x100ml

Was still flowing out nicely but had to stop due to time, so have got 6L which is what I put in orignally before diluting to about 28% 22L so hopefully I've not left to much in there

Will be leaving overnight and tasting/smelling tomorrow, how much do you think I couod expect to get out of that, 3L at 90% then diluted to 40% so over 6L of drinking alcohol or is that being to optimistic
Never had a big run like this before, think il either not fill it up as much or start abit earlier so I can see out the full run, has been on 7hours.

Statistics: Posted by Distillingchris — Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:00 pm


]]>
2018-02-18T17:40:37+00:00 2018-02-18T17:40:37+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4812&p=47279#p47279 <![CDATA[Back at it]]> Doing spirit run now and a bit rusty

Started with about 22l at 28%
Full reflux for 20minutes
Then 40.c for 15 mins
Slowly rising to 45.c
Throw the first 100ml
Started collecting heads 10x100ml slowly rising temp to 53.c
I then collected 2x500ml hearts
2x200ml
Then I'm now collecting in 100ml batches but im nearly all out of glassware as it's still showing no sign of stopping and so far on 4L ,might have to pour some of the 100ml into 200ml

Do this sounds alright of have I messed up collecting hearts, surely the heads will be over within 1st litre of it coming out ?

Statistics: Posted by Distillingchris — Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:40 pm


]]>