StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2012-03-15T19:48:48+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=3&t=997 2012-03-15T19:48:48+00:00 2012-03-15T19:48:48+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=997&p=7766#p7766 <![CDATA[it's all in the water........]]>
Over the weekend, I did a distillation run, which was 2 x 93% batches of wash, that was made originally made with tap water, those 2 batches were mixed and let down to less than 40% with RO water, then re-run, ending up with about the same 7.2 litres at 93%, which has been let down to 40% again, with RO water and then carbon filtered.

Resulting in a good, clean, smooth neutral. No harshness, or any other flaws.

For info, this "master plan" is because I wasc reading something about the harshness and possibly bitterness being caused by using hard water with calcium and magnesium salts....and yes, in this part of the world, the tap water does have high calcium salts.

Whether this is any use to anyone, I don't know, but there's a few graphics on the web that highlight areas where the water has high calcium, so some may find this useful.

Oh, and yes, I'm still using up the vodka stars that I got from Ellie-claire.....

Statistics: Posted by Phantom — Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:48 pm


]]>