StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2018-01-28T07:03:32+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=13&t=4232 2018-01-28T07:03:32+00:00 2018-01-28T07:03:32+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4232&p=46750#p46750 <![CDATA[Re: Barrel 674 single Malt Whiskey]]>
Myles wrote:
ITMA wrote:I'm the CEO of this distillery so sod it. Plus I'm the only customer. ;)


;D That could be on a T shirt.




Make me grin too. Nice one Myles.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:03 am


]]>
2018-01-27T23:17:02+00:00 2018-01-27T23:17:02+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4232&p=46728#p46728 <![CDATA[Re: Barrel 674 single Malt Whiskey]]>

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:17 pm


]]>
2018-01-27T07:15:26+00:00 2018-01-27T07:15:26+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4232&p=46704#p46704 <![CDATA[Re: Barrel 674 single Malt Whiskey]]>
ITMA wrote:
I'm the CEO of this distillery so sod it. Plus I'm the only customer. ;)


;D That could be on a T shirt.

Statistics: Posted by Myles — Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:15 am


]]>
2018-01-21T00:03:37+00:00 2018-01-21T00:03:37+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4232&p=46592#p46592 <![CDATA[Re: Barrel 674 single Malt Whiskey]]> It adds to what is known.
I have a soft spot for those that come and add.
Some just come and take away. ;)

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:03 am


]]>
2018-01-20T13:54:40+00:00 2018-01-20T13:54:40+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4232&p=46589#p46589 <![CDATA[Re: Barrel 674 single Malt Whiskey]]>
All done on airstill using the usual double distill method.

Yield was 2litres of 65%. So around 4 bottles. (Yield was low as I had a powercut during one of the strip charges. In the chaos it got abandoned and I forgot to update my notes. I don't think a lot was lost, I'm well short of the earlier 3l report. Not sure what happened there... ??? )

The supplied oak chips are very dusty and there aren't quite enough to get a deep gold colour that I like. Very pale straw. I filtered through a coffee filter paper and then added a small number of additional (far superior) still spirits bourbon oak chips to the dispensing bottle.

I would advise anyone to bin the packet of chips and substitute some better ones.

The malt isn't at all peaty. To the first dispensing bottle I added about 9ml of the (not supplied) peat smoke flavouring. Seems a bit cheaty but I'm the CEO of this distillery so sod it. Plus I'm the only customer. ;)

I found making cuts very much harder than for neutral spirit. I suspect it will take years to acquire the art.

All good and recommended. My next batch will be made from all grain peated malt so I won't be buying again but it's well worth it if you don't have the kit for all grain.

Statistics: Posted by ITMA — Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:54 pm


]]>
2017-11-04T20:50:47+00:00 2017-11-04T20:50:47+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4232&p=45215#p45215 <![CDATA[Re: Barrel 674 single Malt Whiskey]]>
Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:50 pm


]]>
2017-11-03T21:45:47+00:00 2017-11-03T21:45:47+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4232&p=45210#p45210 <![CDATA[Re: Barrel 674 single Malt Whiskey]]>
To get to the cool I've got to hump the bucket up a rickety flight of attic steps, which can only mean dividing the bucket into two first and then recombining at the top. I'd be worried about infection possibilities but I've done exactly that in the past for beer with no problems (yet).

I've got bags of time, but horrible, horrible space restriction.

Statistics: Posted by ITMA — Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:45 pm


]]>
2017-11-03T20:09:24+00:00 2017-11-03T20:09:24+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4232&p=45205#p45205 <![CDATA[Re: Barrel 674 single Malt Whiskey]]> It will not affect the taste, but does introduce two extra components to the wash.
It also costs money.
Time and a cool place is cheaper. ;)
And arguably better.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:09 pm


]]>
2017-11-01T18:54:34+00:00 2017-11-01T18:54:34+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4232&p=45192#p45192 <![CDATA[Re: Barrel 674 single Malt Whiskey]]> Statistics: Posted by ITMA — Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:54 pm


]]>
2017-11-01T15:07:46+00:00 2017-11-01T15:07:46+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4232&p=45189#p45189 <![CDATA[Re: Barrel 674 single Malt Whiskey]]> Statistics: Posted by Leatherman — Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:07 pm


]]>
2017-10-31T23:21:38+00:00 2017-10-31T23:21:38+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4232&p=45182#p45182 <![CDATA[Re: Barrel 674 single Malt Whiskey]]> Statistics: Posted by ITMA — Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:21 pm


]]>
2017-10-31T21:39:11+00:00 2017-10-31T21:39:11+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4232&p=45177#p45177 <![CDATA[Re: Barrel 674 single Malt Whiskey]]>
Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:39 pm


]]>
2017-10-31T18:54:01+00:00 2017-10-31T18:54:01+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4232&p=45174#p45174 <![CDATA[Re: Barrel 674 single Malt Whiskey]]>
I'm guessing leaving it to clear in a cold room for a week or so would be better?

Statistics: Posted by ITMA — Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:54 pm


]]>
2016-09-27T23:08:46+00:00 2016-09-27T23:08:46+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4232&p=37385#p37385 <![CDATA[Re: Barrel 674 single Malt Whiskey]]> And secondly that I am happy that you are pleased with it.
The whole point of the exercise ;D

Keep it up!

Robert

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:08 pm


]]>
2016-09-27T20:25:45+00:00 2016-09-27T20:25:45+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4232&p=37383#p37383 <![CDATA[Re: Barrel 674 single Malt Whiskey]]> Statistics: Posted by inksanity — Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:25 pm


]]>