StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2012-01-21T15:04:34+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=15&t=778 2012-01-21T15:04:34+00:00 2012-01-21T15:04:34+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=778&p=6928#p6928 <![CDATA[Re: Heater Element]]> I got both of mine when buying copper boilers for a pot still - first one had problems, the second is a work in process - so were a by product and didn't "really" cost me anything - I would think twice about something I paid cash for.

you can always use one the correct length ideally one that doubles back on its self - effectively what I did, but done by the manufacturer.

I fitted 2-1/4" BSP Essex flange to my fist keg - this was slow & very very noisy when cutting, and it ended up leaking a little, and I had to buy some food grade sealant to sort it.
I went with the stainless 2-1/4" full socket for my new keg.

If you have committed to the 1.5" socket, I guess standard elements wont be an option for you. These guys do alternative threads - no idea on cost.
http://www.tpfay.co.uk/OurProducts/immersion_heaters.aspx

Statistics: Posted by Capt-Cudellez — Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:04 pm


]]>
2012-01-20T22:38:15+00:00 2012-01-20T22:38:15+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=778&p=6920#p6920 <![CDATA[Re: Heater Element]]> Both were second hand and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I ruined them. I checked the resistance before and after - no change - I've had no problem.
The longer length will equal a lower watt density - might struggle if distilling on the grain - if a open top still stirring on the warm up will help - I let it get up to 50oC before putting the top on if its something I think may burn.

Statistics: Posted by Capt-Cudellez — Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:38 pm


]]>
2012-01-18T20:18:07+00:00 2012-01-18T20:18:07+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=778&p=6872#p6872 <![CDATA[Re: Heater Element]]>
I ran a std copper hot water element in my keg with the 2-1/4 BSP thread - got one in my new keg too.
They are cheap as chips (about £12 from BES) so if its got a short life then it's easily replaced - haven't burned one out yet though.

Statistics: Posted by Capt-Cudellez — Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:18 pm


]]>