StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2012-07-17T17:51:22+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=6&t=1025 2012-07-17T17:51:22+00:00 2012-07-17T17:51:22+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025&p=9112#p9112 <![CDATA[Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....]]> Statistics: Posted by Admiral Toad — Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:51 pm


]]>
2012-07-17T16:44:45+00:00 2012-07-17T16:44:45+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025&p=9107#p9107 <![CDATA[Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....]]> Statistics: Posted by injuneer — Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:44 pm


]]>
2012-06-21T17:05:14+00:00 2012-06-21T17:05:14+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025&p=8728#p8728 <![CDATA[Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....]]>
Having used the whisky profile kit, I suspect the main increase in volume in the single malt is glycerine. The other flavours are so strong that the amount you use doesn't vary much - its the sweetness and viscosity from the glycerine that is the main variable in volume terms across different whisky types.

The Classic American Bourbon is a fav - nice, mellow and smooth. The Tennesee bourban is harsher and feels like you swilled your mouth out with acetone! But some say is clos to JD and prefer it.

Statistics: Posted by biopro — Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:05 pm


]]>
2012-05-30T18:41:58+00:00 2012-05-30T18:41:58+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025&p=8475#p8475 <![CDATA[Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....]]> Thats what makes this hobby fun we can afford to experiment for taste. I personally do not profess to be a connoisseur of whisky or I would buy the best I could afford from the experts.
Just my thoughts on taste.

Opus

Statistics: Posted by Opus 27 — Wed May 30, 2012 6:41 pm


]]>
2012-05-30T10:46:34+00:00 2012-05-30T10:46:34+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025&p=8465#p8465 <![CDATA[Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....]]> I thought it was strong tasting and wrong tasting. It has bits of oak/smoke?/vanilla but was a bit like alcoholic tea to me.
Let me explain...after many trials using tpw's and turbo washes (double distilled) through the airstill and then 'essenced' with such choices, I started doing DWWG washes with dried malt/smoked rye or corn, distilled and then soaked at 65%ABV on charred oak sticks, and finaly put into an oak barrel that'd been 'conditioned' using a bit of actual whiskey (Teachers, I think)
....anyway, no contest re whats more like actual whiskey IMHO.....
so I'm with AidanMac I suppose; essences are ok, sometimes moreso, but a flavour-profiled hearts matured on oak is going to ring more bells (if you like whisky/whiskey anyway).

Statistics: Posted by Frank — Wed May 30, 2012 10:46 am


]]>
2012-05-25T20:26:02+00:00 2012-05-25T20:26:02+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025&p=8413#p8413 <![CDATA[Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....]]>
Optic

Statistics: Posted by optic — Fri May 25, 2012 8:26 pm


]]>
2012-05-14T17:13:05+00:00 2012-05-14T17:13:05+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025&p=8262#p8262 <![CDATA[Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....]]>
Opus 27 wrote:
Oh S**t Optic hope are taste buds are the same or I could owe you £20+

Opus



Opus
If you reckon it might fool people that it is Glenlivet thats good enough for me.

Optic

Statistics: Posted by optic — Mon May 14, 2012 5:13 pm


]]>
2012-05-14T03:30:36+00:00 2012-05-14T03:30:36+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025&p=8247#p8247 <![CDATA[Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....]]> oh shit, that's crap"!!! :P

We live to learn! ;)

AM 8)

Statistics: Posted by Almanac — Mon May 14, 2012 3:30 am


]]>
2012-05-13T20:31:22+00:00 2012-05-13T20:31:22+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025&p=8246#p8246 <![CDATA[Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....]]>
Opus

Statistics: Posted by Opus 27 — Sun May 13, 2012 8:31 pm


]]>
2012-05-13T15:14:04+00:00 2012-05-13T15:14:04+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025&p=8244#p8244 <![CDATA[Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....]]>
Opus 27 wrote:
Well I've tried it, WOW! I'm impressed. This really does taste like a decent whisky, I'd be tempted to top up a Glenlivet bottle and see if I could fool anyone.
If theres an equal Bourbon out there point me to it.

Opus


Well ive taken your word for it Opus and have 10 packs of it on the way from Wineworks.

Optic

Statistics: Posted by optic — Sun May 13, 2012 3:14 pm


]]>
2012-05-13T09:22:50+00:00 2012-05-13T09:22:50+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025&p=8243#p8243 <![CDATA[Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....]]>
In the end I had to accept that, for me, the only acceptable alternative to making Bourbon Whisky the traditional/conventional way is to soak the Oak from barrels previously used for aging real the REAL thing. ;)

Similarly, I have produced some quite palatable Whiskey of a Scotch type using toasted French Oak and a good quality neutral. I'm not suggesting it would be a Single Malt equivalent but it's a fascinating area to experiment in and I fully intent to mash some Barley this summer to make a batch of Whiskey for my drinks cabinet and store some for future years. ;)

I love this hobby. ;D ;D

AM 8)

Statistics: Posted by Almanac — Sun May 13, 2012 9:22 am


]]>
2012-05-11T19:26:42+00:00 2012-05-11T19:26:42+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025&p=8237#p8237 <![CDATA[Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....]]> If theres an equal Bourbon out there point me to it.

Opus

Statistics: Posted by Opus 27 — Fri May 11, 2012 7:26 pm


]]>
2012-04-30T10:06:19+00:00 2012-04-30T10:06:19+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025&p=8151#p8151 <![CDATA[Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....]]> Bourbon, Rum, Brandy and Tequila brilliant but scotch not found it yet, even lashed out on a bottle of Glenlivet today out of frustration with my last mix.
The remaining few litres can go back with the next wash in the stil.

Opus

Statistics: Posted by Opus 27 — Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:06 am


]]>
2012-04-19T19:44:34+00:00 2012-04-19T19:44:34+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025&p=8031#p8031 <![CDATA[Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....]]> Statistics: Posted by optic — Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:44 pm


]]>
2012-04-20T10:08:16+00:00 2012-04-19T19:19:49+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025&p=8028#p8028 <![CDATA[Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....]]>

Statistics: Posted by Admiral Toad — Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:19 pm


]]>