StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2015-06-15T22:10:50+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=2&t=3565 2015-06-15T22:10:50+00:00 2015-06-15T22:10:50+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3565&p=26626#p26626 <![CDATA[Re: Yeast Warning]]>
I've scince made two more washes using 3kg of Demerara sugar and 5 jars of mollasses in each, all the strips have been combined with the above and run, it's now on oak to make a rum.

Hopefully it'll turn out ok.

Can't say I've tried the green one scince though.

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:10 pm


]]>
2015-06-15T09:59:31+00:00 2015-06-15T09:59:31+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3565&p=26620#p26620 <![CDATA[Re: Yeast Warning]]> Statistics: Posted by Mash — Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:59 am


]]>
2015-06-15T08:49:35+00:00 2015-06-15T08:49:35+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3565&p=26619#p26619 <![CDATA[Yeast Warning]]>
After pitching a few washes yesterday I happened to read the label to see what the difference is between the two Allinsons products. I was slightly shocked to see the list of ingredients on the "Easy Bake" tin included Flour Improver and Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). this prompted me the re-check the pH of the wash I had just pitched. From a pH of 5.6 immediately before pitching it had dropped to 4.9 in just one hour which could only be due to the Ascorbic Acid included in the yeast.

My water is always around pH 7 and I always use a little Citric Acid to bring it down to 5.4/5.6 and did the same this time unaware that the yeast I was going to pitch included Acid which would have done the job for me anyway.

This could potentially stall a wash if you weren't aware of the acid content.

Statistics: Posted by Almanac — Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:49 am


]]>