StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2009-10-03T15:54:53+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=1&t=103 2009-10-03T15:54:53+00:00 2009-10-03T15:54:53+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103&p=1536#p1536 <![CDATA[I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.]]> Statistics: Posted by optic — Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:54 pm


]]>
2009-10-03T14:28:44+00:00 2009-10-03T14:28:44+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103&p=1535#p1535 <![CDATA[I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.]]>
BUT i leave the wash to ferment 1 week at least and left to clear again at LEAST 1 week but usually 2 and sometimes more if im busy.

Before distilation i half fill a 10L container and shake the hell out of it, crack the top to let out any gas then do it one or more times.

Its suprising the first time you shake it how much POP you get when taking the lid off after its shaken.

Anyhow thats what i do no conditioner.

I also put two good quality stainless steel forks, (bent at odd angles) in the still.

Then turn it on! :)

Statistics: Posted by HangOver — Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:28 pm


]]>
2009-10-03T13:55:56+00:00 2009-10-03T13:55:56+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103&p=1533#p1533 <![CDATA[I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.]]> Statistics: Posted by umpa — Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:55 pm


]]>
2009-10-03T01:09:53+00:00 2009-10-03T01:09:53+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103&p=1530#p1530 <![CDATA[I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.]]> Statistics: Posted by optic — Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:09 am


]]>
2009-10-02T14:17:45+00:00 2009-10-02T14:17:45+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103&p=1527#p1527 <![CDATA[I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.]]>
I run my smart still on a timer so I dont need to be there. I can set it so that its about to finish when I get home from work. There is so little volume I dont bother taking out the heads anymore. I have been doing it this way for months and never had a problem.

Statistics: Posted by umpa — Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:17 pm


]]>
2009-10-02T01:57:30+00:00 2009-10-02T01:57:30+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103&p=1525#p1525 <![CDATA[I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.]]> Statistics: Posted by optic — Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:57 am


]]>
2009-09-30T22:41:07+00:00 2009-09-30T22:41:07+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103&p=1519#p1519 <![CDATA[I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.]]> Statistics: Posted by umpa — Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:41 pm


]]>
2009-09-24T20:05:54+00:00 2009-09-24T20:05:54+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103&p=1504#p1504 <![CDATA[I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.]]>
Ive just had my first trip down to Wineworks in Chesterfield and All I can say is \"WOW ITS BRILLIANT\" All the staff are well informed and very very helpfull if you live nearby like i do its well worth the trip, I didnt take the car Me and the wife got on a bus and its a 45 min trip. After the visit to wineworks we had a stroll around chesterfield market and its a Fabulous market bargains galore,Thats all from me Folks.

CHEERS

Notts19

Statistics: Posted by Notts19 — Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:05 pm


]]>
2009-09-13T22:10:58+00:00 2009-09-13T22:10:58+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103&p=1455#p1455 <![CDATA[I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.]]>
cheers optic

Statistics: Posted by optic — Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:10 pm


]]>
2009-09-13T18:31:21+00:00 2009-09-13T18:31:21+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103&p=1453#p1453 <![CDATA[I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.]]> Got to be worth a try........
regards
p

Statistics: Posted by Phantom — Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:31 pm


]]>
2009-09-10T05:54:28+00:00 2009-09-10T05:54:28+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103&p=1433#p1433 <![CDATA[I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.]]> My thought was/is that the wash comes up to temp and then when large enough bubbles form, create the steam. Where with boiling chips there are lots of tiny bubbles coming off the many surfaces which in turn the steam starts slower and less violent.

Yes I have a different set up than you guys but the theory is the same. Very interesting about the not-finished ferments possibly being part of the problem.
Oh, yes, I degas my washes normally too. I rack off from one carboy to the next and then clean the original. Then I pour it back in the original bucket fast to create turbulence. (well, I was, now I have a 121L fermenter)

Statistics: Posted by goinbroke2 — Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:54 am


]]>
2009-09-09T20:08:29+00:00 2009-09-09T20:08:29+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103&p=1432#p1432 <![CDATA[I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.]]>
After I painted the inside of the \"Outhouse\" and put the electrics in, lights, plug points etc. and put the water supply in and then laid some vinyl covering on the floor I have totally moved out of the kitchen and into my Micro Brewery LOL. \"Her that must be obeyed\" is over the moon LOL.Apart from the Lager, Wine, Cider & Beer that is fermenting away In my Micro Brewery, I also started My first wash Last Saturday (Alcotec Triple Still Turbo Yeast) and that is also fermenting away I have just taken a S.G reading and its down to a 1.000 so a few more days(hopefully)and it should be ready for racking off for the clearing stage, And I will be using (Alocotec Turbo Klar)And then on to the fun part of distilling, And before I forget when I got the SS it came with those rashig rings/ceramic rings but ive bought 2 more packets of them so 3 packets of rashig rings in the bottom of the still so fingers crossed it might stop those \"burbs\" from happening.Anyway I will keep you posted on whats happening with the wash distilling etc.

CHEERS ALL

Notts19

Statistics: Posted by Notts19 — Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:08 pm


]]>
2009-08-30T16:36:38+00:00 2009-08-30T16:36:38+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103&p=1416#p1416 <![CDATA[I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.]]>
Thank You for your advice it is much appreciated, Our local water is a hard water area, when i start running the wash through the smart still i will put it in the outhouse just to be on the safe side and fingers crossed, I also have the rashig rings in the bottom of the smart still and i will buy some of the distillers conditioner when i have a trip down to wineworks, anyway thats all from me for now CHEERS.

Statistics: Posted by Notts19 — Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:36 pm


]]>
2009-08-30T13:10:11+00:00 2009-08-30T13:10:11+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103&p=1410#p1410 <![CDATA[I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.]]>

OMG burbs, blow ups etc.What am I letting myself in for Ok iam a newbie, but at this moment iam only distilling water, But reading all these post about Burbs Etc. it as put me off distilling a wash , I dont want to fall out with "Her that must be obeyed" LOL.


If your local water is quite "soft" then maybe you should try putting a glass bowl, half full, in the microwave and nuking it for 5 minutes, then carefully put it in an empty sink and drop a spoon or other piece of cutlery in it.
If the water is very "pure", like distilled water, you\'d probably get a nasty bubbling/overflow with it. it is possible to get some problems with it like that. It\'s the same effect as the burp/over boil with a still i.e. it\'s about how the gas molecules start to seperate and when the liquid it "super heated" and then something cool is dropped in, the gas molecules start to join together to start bubbling for a while, the main thing is, that with water, if this happens, it\'s quite a quick reaction (it can happen with milk as well - if it hasn\'t already boiled over inside the microwave......).
I haven\'t managed to work out, whether it\'s the chemical reaction of residual CO2 escaping more easily, or whether it\'s to do with residual sugar/nutrient/yeast/carbon etc that hasn\'t cleared out of the wash (I\'ve had over boils with both wash and cider - with no obvious reasons why.
Anything you can do to reduce the possibility will be beneficial i.e. rashig rings in the bottom of the boiler, or broken glass, or crockery, or a piece of copper mesh, or distillers conditioner (anti-foaming agent) or a mix of the above....
At the end of the day, you have to remember that it\'s not just a still, it\'s a boiler so it makes sense to run it away to where family/pets etc might come into contact with it accidentally......

Statistics: Posted by Phantom — Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:10 pm


]]>
2009-08-28T15:46:15+00:00 2009-08-28T15:46:15+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103&p=1399#p1399 <![CDATA[I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.]]>
CHEERS

Statistics: Posted by Notts19 — Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:46 pm


]]>