StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2018-10-05T07:07:22+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=1&t=4790 2018-10-05T07:07:22+00:00 2018-10-05T07:07:22+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4790&p=49775#p49775 <![CDATA[Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer]]> Statistics: Posted by Mash — Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:07 am


]]>
2018-10-04T07:35:41+00:00 2018-10-04T07:35:41+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4790&p=49763#p49763 <![CDATA[Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer]]>
To recap, for sugar, are you saying that they would measure a straight sugar wash accurately but not a wort or coloured fruit juice as there would be light interference?

Also, for alcohol, they would measure the results of s strip or spirit run accurately, but that ageing on oak, given the colour change would give an inaccurate reading?

Or, have I still got it wrong?

Statistics: Posted by Toper — Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:35 am


]]>
2018-10-04T05:28:08+00:00 2018-10-04T05:28:08+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4790&p=49756#p49756 <![CDATA[Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer]]>
I use them were they are most accurate.

A Brix refractometer for setup and sugar additions.
A hydrometer for "is it done?". Must is very murky and a density reading will be most accurate.
A spirit refractometer - 'cos everything is clear, and the refractometer is quick, clean and easy.

You would bend the finest spoon if you were digging deep rooted weeds with it. :o

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:28 am


]]>
2018-10-04T00:16:26+00:00 2018-10-04T00:16:26+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4790&p=49755#p49755 <![CDATA[Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer]]> Statistics: Posted by Toper — Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:16 am


]]>
2018-10-04T00:16:26+00:00 2018-10-04T00:16:26+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4790&p=49754#p49754 <![CDATA[Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer]]>
Rather, you get what you pay for.

As a life long gardener, a brewer, winemaker and distiller over decades, and a sometime D.I.Y'er,
there are cheap tools and good tools. Hand forks that bend at the first deep rooted weed, drills bits the snap or flatten on first use, chisels which never hold an edge and a variety of power tools which only just outlive their statuary guarantee period..

There is a well known adage: “Look after the pennies, the pounds will look after themselves”.

I tend to prefer: “Penny wise, pound foolish”.

So often, the 'cheapest' option turns out to be the 'dearest' option. How many times have I discarded 'cheap' equipment, as either useless or broken before it's time I dread to think.

For myself, I try to find out what is the very best I can afford from what is available, and then, how cheaply I can get that “exact” item.

An imitation is always simply that, an imitation.

I suppose I am really making a case for a 'Junk Yard Section' where, within the forum, where we post the stuff that we found is is rubbish to buy.

Statistics: Posted by Toper — Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:16 am


]]>
2018-10-03T23:29:19+00:00 2018-10-03T23:29:19+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4790&p=49753#p49753 <![CDATA[Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer]]>
I will give him cause to argue that the quality of the refractometer may be an issue.
I sit on the other side of the fence.
I use only Alcometers.
He says Po-ta-to and I say Po-ta-to .......
Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:29 pm


]]>
2018-10-03T18:01:36+00:00 2018-10-03T18:01:36+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4790&p=49747#p49747 <![CDATA[Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer]]> Both cheap to buy and have about four alcometers
and several refractometers thanks to xmas.
Sorry Mash used the "x" word again :( :(

Statistics: Posted by gaza the instructor — Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:01 pm


]]>
2018-10-03T09:20:31+00:00 2018-10-03T09:20:31+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4790&p=49740#p49740 <![CDATA[Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer]]>
These were put to one side as I had nothing underway at the time.

Recently, having started a number of neutral washes, I dug them out to use. Each was tested at the correct temperature, using distilled water. Each returned a correct reading of zero, indicating no further calibration needed.

Whilst the neutrals were fermenting, I took a quantity of whisky which had been ageing on dominoes and, using the refractometer, diluted down to 40% abv.

The fermenting neutrals appeared to have stuck at a Brix reading of 6.5. After prolonged wait, i checked them with a hydrometer, only to find they were at .998

Noting this discrepancy, I went back to my whisky and re-checked with an alcometer. Not the 40%abv that I aimed for, using the refractometer, but 37.5%abv instead. Completely drinkable but a highly inaccurate reading from both refractometers.

Am I doing something wrong?

Statistics: Posted by Toper — Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:20 am


]]>
2018-02-07T15:57:35+00:00 2018-02-07T15:57:35+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4790&p=46992#p46992 <![CDATA[Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer]]>
My Stevenson Reeves glass hydrometer was spot on. The refractometer was not, even after careful calibration. Adding to the confusion the same model of refractometer seems to be described as reading ABV or ABW by various sellers, probably because there actually are two different versions available. Mine claimed to read ABW but converting the reading to ABV didn't agree with the hydrometer/legally stated ABV.

I used to work in a national standards lab measuring various liquid properties including density/S.G. at the limits of known accuracy at the time so do retain a little knowledge of how this is all meant to work :) .

Statistics: Posted by Flump — Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:57 pm


]]>
2018-02-07T07:38:31+00:00 2018-02-07T07:38:31+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4790&p=46986#p46986 <![CDATA[Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer]]>
First measures sugar, second spirit. Search 'refractometer' for the images, I have posted them a few times now.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:38 am


]]>
2018-02-07T04:12:23+00:00 2018-02-07T04:12:23+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4790&p=46985#p46985 <![CDATA[Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer]]>
There's a very old adage..."ask 10 guys a question, and you will get 11 answers".

Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:12 am


]]>
2018-02-06T22:53:58+00:00 2018-02-06T22:53:58+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4790&p=46980#p46980 <![CDATA[Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer]]> Statistics: Posted by FinnCo — Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:53 pm


]]>
2018-02-06T22:35:21+00:00 2018-02-06T22:35:21+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4790&p=46976#p46976 <![CDATA[Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer]]> Both work, make up your own mind which you prefer.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:35 pm


]]>
2018-02-06T21:02:18+00:00 2018-02-06T21:02:18+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4790&p=46966#p46966 <![CDATA[Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer]]> Statistics: Posted by Brewhunter — Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:02 pm


]]>
2018-02-06T20:38:10+00:00 2018-02-06T20:38:10+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4790&p=46965#p46965 <![CDATA[Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer]]>
Although temperature correction still applies, being able to sample smaller amounts using RF appeals - and glass alcometers need enough liquid to sample (pain when doing multiple cuts).

Thoughts guidance etc. Please accept my apologies if there is an existing thread on this, but couldn't find a relevant post.

Cheers

Statistics: Posted by FinnCo — Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:38 pm


]]>