So, I\'ve moded the pipes as per the suggestions, I\'ve built a power controller for it and got a wattage/power meter to plug it into when I want to run it.
I\'ve yet to try the \"tesco\'s stainless scrubbers\" as the ones I bought might not be suitable as they\'re the size (and shape) of rubber door stops, and as yet I haven\'t seen if it\'s feasible to try and unroll one to try and shove it in the reflux chamber.
Now I still have some copper mesh that could be used but changes to the amount or packing density have proved unsuccessful in trying to work out just how long a piece of the copper mesh I\'d need to use or how hard it needs to be packed in....... which is a bit confusing as I have to presume that those two points are relevant as to the amount of reflux surface area on the mesh I\'d get.
Anyway, I did a run yesterday/this morning (vodka star). Initially, I just let it all heat up, before starting any meddling. Once it was all up to working temperature, I closed the tap to the condenser about 1/4, to try and make sure that there was enough cold water going to the reflux jacket, then I started playing with the power controller to reduce the wattage (which shows as 1433 when it\'s at full power) to try and control the temperature. The lowest that seemed to give enough power to get some output was about 800 watts.
Throughout the course of the run (about 10 hours yesterday and 3 this morning) I changed the amount of power and/or varied the amount of water flow etc. Fair enough, I wasn\'t actually putting much thought into this and in the end, I just said bollocks and opened up the tap to allow the water to seeming put the same amount through the reflux collar and condenser and just left the power up on full.
I\'ve ended up with just under 4 litres of spirit. This evening when it has cooled sufficiently I was tidying up and thought \"Ok, as I haven\'t taken any strength measurements, I wonder what it\'s at?\" Baring in mind that the spirit will be let down to 40% and re-run when I\'ve got enough for a full charge of the boiler.
Well, bugger me sideways with the rough end of a pineapple! 87% ABV from straight wash. Oh and that\'s with the reflux chamber full of rashig rings (well up to about the top of the reflux collar).
I\'m amazed.
While this run as seemed to have gone well, I\'m still confused as to what it is that I need to do to be able to repeat this as the bloody still seems to be so inconsistent and/or variable as to the strength that comes out of it......
Now I haven\'t put any thought to it yet, as it was more of a trial thing really.....
Any advice or suggestion as to what I need to be looking into (other than whether I can unroll 3 of the stainless pot scrubbers and get the shoved down far enough into the reflux chamber would be very welcome.
After all, if I can make the bugger perform consistently, then there\'d be little point in coughing up for a T500, though in truth I\'ll probably still get one as I understand that they\'re considerably more efficient and work much faster......
regards
PStatistics: Posted by Phantom — Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:53 am
]]>