StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2018-02-10T11:15:28+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=1&t=4791 2018-02-10T11:15:28+00:00 2018-02-10T11:15:28+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4791&p=47105#p47105 <![CDATA[Re: Brewbuilder element]]>
StillDragon have a few adapters for 1” threads, both male and female, they’ve been out of stock for while now but just yesterday I spotted they have some popular one back in

https://www.stilldragon.eu/en/16-adapters

It’s worth noting the at a size of 1” NTP and BSP are compatible, I’ve just bought a 2” triclamp to a 1” male thread, so I can connect my 1” ball valve to the side of my column to make a VM takeoff.

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:15 am


]]>
2018-02-08T07:39:28+00:00 2018-02-08T07:39:28+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4791&p=47008#p47008 <![CDATA[Re: Brewbuilder element]]>
What I did though was to braze the brass ferule to the stainless insert. The ridged insert that takes the big bung just happened to be an exact match for the 2 inch brass ferrule. I brazed it with 55% silver solder. It is not as pretty a joint as I wanted but it took a lot of heat even with my biggest propane torch.

Image

It is a very solid joint though.

The other joint was the 1.5 inch ferrule that I fitted where the tap goes on the cask. This is for a 5.5 kW element.

I was pleased with that joint. I forced a bit of 35 mm copper tube into a 1.5"/38 mm stainless ferrule. The inside bore of the ferrule is 35 mm so it was an exceptionally tight fit. I then soldered the copper tube to the ferrule with cupalloy 2207. This is a 4% silver solder specifically for soldering stainless steel. Then I hammered the short bit of copper tube into the tap bung on the cask and when the ferrule was flush with the stainless flange on the cask I soldered them together just to make sure.

That joint would probably be leak free without solder but it is absolutely leak free now.

The brewbuilder element passes through the 35 mm tube with ease.

Statistics: Posted by Myles — Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:39 am


]]>
2018-02-08T00:29:54+00:00 2018-02-08T00:29:54+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4791&p=47002#p47002 <![CDATA[Re: Brewbuilder element]]> Lardy has contacted me tonight so hopefully we can get something sorted quickly.
Did you do that work yourself Myles, I do admire a nice weld!

Statistics: Posted by Maker — Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:29 am


]]>
2018-02-07T16:30:42+00:00 2018-02-07T16:30:42+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4791&p=46993#p46993 <![CDATA[Re: Brewbuilder element]]>
I also have the 5.5kW version mounted in my 80 litre cask boiler.

This one.
Image

Image

Brewbuilder gear is intended for beer so they use 1.5" ferrules. The ferrule to element adaptor works perfectly. I have no doubt that the elements would also fit the 2" TC to 1" threaded adaptors.

They do have other sizes available and are answering email and trading still. Try again.

Statistics: Posted by Myles — Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:30 pm


]]>
2018-02-06T23:42:45+00:00 2018-02-06T23:42:45+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4791&p=46983#p46983 <![CDATA[Re: Brewbuilder element]]> Statistics: Posted by Maker — Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:42 pm


]]>
2018-02-06T23:30:35+00:00 2018-02-06T23:30:35+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4791&p=46982#p46982 <![CDATA[Re: Brewbuilder element]]> Statistics: Posted by H12rpo — Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:30 pm


]]>
2018-02-06T22:50:10+00:00 2018-02-06T22:50:10+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4791&p=46979#p46979 <![CDATA[Brewbuilder element]]> https://www.brewbuilder.co.uk/3kw-lwd-elements.html are they still trading, there is no contact number and I have had no reply to email.

As per a previous post someone stated this element has a 1" BSP thread (still to confirmed) but when looking at ferrules they measure the threads in DN, so I would guess DN25 would be around an inch but are the 2 threads compatable..

I see still dragon do an adapter so this may be the cheapest way out although I would rather buy a tap from ebay for a few quid and convert a ferrule blanking cap if it's thick enough, which it may not be.

Statistics: Posted by Maker — Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:50 pm


]]>