StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2016-10-26T06:58:00+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=3&t=4297 2016-10-26T06:58:00+00:00 2016-10-26T06:58:00+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4297&p=38889#p38889 <![CDATA[Re: Which column to use??]]>
@ Myles. ..its flavour that I'm after..Now I'm thinking a second thumper may be the way to go.

Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:58 am


]]>
2016-10-25T22:37:26+00:00 2016-10-25T22:37:26+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4297&p=38876#p38876 <![CDATA[Re: Which column to use??]]>
Anavrin wrote:
I think a traditional rum still uses a pot with two thumpers, building another one might be ideal, you could use the torpedo and one thumper but you will then need some reflux for the plate in the torpedo to get the best out of it, have you got a dephlagmator or cooling cool you can add in the column?

Another thumper might be the cheaper option, as the torpedo is 2" on each end, to get the best out of your 3" column in terms of litres per hour with the torpedo, you would need to add some reflux cooling and use 3" connections on the torpedo.

I only use the top half of my torpedo these days, I built a keg with a 4" ferrule on it so additional bubble sections and the top half of the torpedo can be connected directly, also the bottom half of the torpedo works perfectly with my 2" stripping column as a reducer from the keg to my column.

Here's a link to the SD Rum distillery https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sUZSqoFRZYA

It's almost rum distilling porn! Lol


What do you mean almost ;D

Statistics: Posted by Brewhunter — Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:37 pm


]]>
2016-10-14T11:15:59+00:00 2016-10-14T11:15:59+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4297&p=38158#p38158 <![CDATA[Re: Which column to use??]]>
Their terminology is different but in effect you have wash in the boiler, diluted heads in one thumper and diluted tails in the other. Or any other flavour components that you wish to add.

Statistics: Posted by Myles — Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:15 am


]]>
2016-10-14T09:49:47+00:00 2016-10-14T09:49:47+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4297&p=38157#p38157 <![CDATA[Re: Which column to use??]]>
Another thumper might be the cheaper option, as the torpedo is 2" on each end, to get the best out of your 3" column in terms of litres per hour with the torpedo, you would need to add some reflux cooling and use 3" connections on the torpedo.

I only use the top half of my torpedo these days, I built a keg with a 4" ferrule on it so additional bubble sections and the top half of the torpedo can be connected directly, also the bottom half of the torpedo works perfectly with my 2" stripping column as a reducer from the keg to my column.

Here's a link to the SD Rum distillery https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sUZSqoFRZYA

It's almost rum distilling porn! Lol

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am


]]>
2016-10-14T09:21:05+00:00 2016-10-14T09:21:05+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4297&p=38154#p38154 <![CDATA[Re: Which column to use??]]>
Anavrin wrote:
That's why for flavoured spirit only 3-4 plates are commonly used, you can use more but guys who do end up adding some late heads and early tails to their hearts collection to get some flavour back.



I have my torpedo that I can fit....this is one of the reasons why I've made a thumper.
As I understand a thumper is equal to one if not two plates.

I think this will be my setup for the next run...watch this space.

Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:21 am


]]>
2016-10-14T08:54:08+00:00 2016-10-14T08:54:08+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4297&p=38151#p38151 <![CDATA[Re: Which column to use??]]>
The more plates you use the more compressed the heads and tails are either side of your hearts.

That's why for flavoured spirit only 3-4 plates are commonly used, you can use more but guys who do end up adding some late heads and early tails to their hearts collection to get some flavour back.

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:54 am


]]>
2016-10-14T08:28:22+00:00 2016-10-14T08:28:22+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4297&p=38149#p38149 <![CDATA[Which column to use??]]>
Now I must admit I've done both single & double runs with the rum washes, but never done a side by side taste test. We have to admit that not everyone has the same taste buds, it would be a very dull world indeed.

What I trying to get at is how do we know we're getting the best from our kit and the way we run them. I know some guys do a single run because it says somewhere that "the big boys do it"....do they???

Then you read that a plated column is better than a pot still for rum, how do we know???
I've never had a rum from a plated column...not as far as I know...unless the big boys use them. :D :D

I'm going to sit down my heads spinning.. ???

Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:28 am


]]>