StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2018-02-26T12:03:21+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=2&t=4817 2018-02-26T12:03:21+00:00 2018-02-26T12:03:21+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4817&p=47402#p47402 <![CDATA[Re: Quick question]]> Statistics: Posted by H12rpo — Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:03 pm


]]>
2018-02-26T07:12:54+00:00 2018-02-26T07:12:54+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4817&p=47401#p47401 <![CDATA[Re: Quick question]]>
I use hot tap water. About 10 litres to dissolve sugar and then top up with cold. Which should get you to 20 something Celsius.

Good clean fermentation will made a better product, regardless of still type.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:12 am


]]>
2018-02-26T01:01:43+00:00 2018-02-26T01:01:43+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4817&p=47394#p47394 <![CDATA[Re: Quick question]]> I can see that working.
I remain unconvinced of any gains, bar a little heat, but hey maybe that is enough to make it worth while.
What do I know?
Maybe I need to think outside the box a little more.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:01 am


]]>
2018-02-25T10:00:00+00:00 2018-02-25T10:00:00+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4817&p=47382#p47382 <![CDATA[Re: Quick question]]> What I meant was ........
For a neutral kale wash....after you have run it through the still, use the pot set (remaining wash in the boiler) to start your next wash.
I’m not advocating using the same yeast lees in the fermenter, no, chuck that out and use a fresh clean fermenter, but simply using the back set with its residual heat to start the next wash.
There’s no issue with any remaining flavours because we’re talking about a column stilled neutral not pot stilled with any flavours carried over.

Statistics: Posted by H12rpo — Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:00 am


]]>
2018-02-25T07:50:49+00:00 2018-02-25T07:50:49+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4817&p=47381#p47381 <![CDATA[Re: Quick question]]>
Robbo12 wrote:
Why not pat i don't have the room but got one in boiler as i type just waiting for the temp to get up then i will put my water on I've also got one in the shed clearing the one I'm using in the boiler is a vodka star 5kg sugar and the other is a turbo classic 8 both I'm using up before i go back to the kale wash cheers mark.


My work area is about 1Mtr square and sits on a plinth to the right of my desk. It holds my 3 brew bins, still and some other bits and bob's. I have 3 DJ's and a 2Lt jar to the left of my desk, they hold heart,stripping's, strait SS recipe for the wife's whisky. The 2Lt jar holds heads and tails from the heart run which I feed back.

It's a tight set-up which has been evolved for ease of operation and speed.

Pat

Statistics: Posted by Pyro — Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:50 am


]]>
2018-02-25T07:36:15+00:00 2018-02-25T07:36:15+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4817&p=47380#p47380 <![CDATA[Re: Quick question]]>
H12rpo wrote:
Yep, that’s all well and good for neutral but what do you do for Whisky Pyro ? :)


Most of the whisky that I make is for the wife who gets through about a bottle a days, so I use SS essence.Any thing that I fancy is made with heart.

Statistics: Posted by Pyro — Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:36 am


]]>
2018-02-25T06:42:44+00:00 2018-02-25T06:42:44+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4817&p=47379#p47379 <![CDATA[Re: Quick question]]>
H12rpo wrote:
Just asking like.....why don’t you use the spent wash after your run for the next wash ? Ie pour the already heated water out of the boiler after the run straight into the fermenter add the sugar and kale, top up with cold.....wait for temp to drop a bit adjust ph and pitch yeast



I wouldn't do that for a neutral either. There will be flavours in there you don't want.

You use backset at 20-50% generally.

If you are adding it to a fermenter that still has lees/remaining wash, match the temperature or risk killing the yeast.

Starting a fresh, backwash also is very difficult to start a yeast in because it will have no dissolved oxygen.

Like Ed mentioned there are some methods for doing this, UJSSM being the obvious one. That's makes airbag whiskey though not neutral.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:42 am


]]>
2018-02-25T00:29:20+00:00 2018-02-25T00:29:20+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4817&p=47378#p47378 <![CDATA[Re: Quick question]]>
H12rpo wrote:
Just asking like.....why don’t you use the spent wash after your run for the next wash ? Ie pour the already heated water out of the boiler after the run straight into the fermenter add the sugar and kale, top up with cold.....wait for temp to drop a bit adjust ph and pitch yeast


Are you not propounding the basis of an UJ style wash here?
Or a fairly standard Rum?

Not the style that I would use for a neutral.

But hey,, I am all for experimentation. :)

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:29 am


]]>
2018-02-24T22:04:22+00:00 2018-02-24T22:04:22+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4817&p=47377#p47377 <![CDATA[Re: Quick question]]> Statistics: Posted by Robbo12 — Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:04 pm


]]>
2018-02-24T19:42:49+00:00 2018-02-24T19:42:49+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4817&p=47376#p47376 <![CDATA[Re: Quick question]]> Statistics: Posted by Robbo12 — Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:42 pm


]]>
2018-02-24T19:21:02+00:00 2018-02-24T19:21:02+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4817&p=47375#p47375 <![CDATA[Re: Quick question]]> Statistics: Posted by H12rpo — Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:21 pm


]]>
2018-02-24T18:38:29+00:00 2018-02-24T18:38:29+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4817&p=47374#p47374 <![CDATA[Re: Quick question]]> Statistics: Posted by Robbo12 — Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:38 pm


]]>
2018-02-24T18:34:27+00:00 2018-02-24T18:34:27+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4817&p=47373#p47373 <![CDATA[Re: Quick question]]>

Statistics: Posted by H12rpo — Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:34 pm


]]>
2018-02-24T15:23:35+00:00 2018-02-24T15:23:35+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4817&p=47372#p47372 <![CDATA[Re: Quick question]]>
I have 3 brew bins in use at all times, one for wash, one clearing, and one feeding the still. In reality I only rotate the bins when the bin feeding the still runs out, it works out reasonably relaxing.

I'm a lazy bugger.

Pat

Statistics: Posted by Pyro — Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:23 pm


]]>
2018-02-24T12:55:45+00:00 2018-02-24T12:55:45+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4817&p=47371#p47371 <![CDATA[Re: Quick question]]> Statistics: Posted by Robbo12 — Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:55 pm


]]>