StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2016-09-04T21:26:41+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=3&t=4228 2016-09-04T21:26:41+00:00 2016-09-04T21:26:41+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4228&p=36798#p36798 <![CDATA[Re: Using backset]]> After about 4 generations it also tends to slow down.

Statistics: Posted by Capt-Cudellez — Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:26 pm


]]>
2016-09-04T05:09:24+00:00 2016-09-04T05:09:24+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4228&p=36786#p36786 <![CDATA[Re: Using backset]]> I take a ph reading when it's cooled just before I pitch the yeast. If it's around 4.5/5.5 I leave it alone.

I add 5 ltr (hot) straight from the boiler onto the trub, give it a swill around.
add more GS or sugar to help it thin.

Then fill to 18 ltr with cool water, take the temp..adjust the rest of the water to near 32c/34c...ph reading...yeast.

Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:09 am


]]>
2016-09-04T05:01:06+00:00 2016-09-04T05:01:06+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4228&p=36785#p36785 <![CDATA[Re: Using backset]]> For keeping it sanitary use metabisuphite to 50 ppm and keep it airtight. 1 Campden tablet per gallon would do it.... Or freeze.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:01 am


]]>
2016-09-04T04:51:01+00:00 2016-09-04T04:51:01+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4228&p=36784#p36784 <![CDATA[Re: Using backset]]> I have only ever used it from the strip run and have only used it before the next fermentation.

Statistics: Posted by Myles — Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:51 am


]]>
2016-09-03T21:21:15+00:00 2016-09-03T21:21:15+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4228&p=36776#p36776 <![CDATA[Using backset]]>
How many of you use backset from the boiler to add to your next wash, I did it with a rum wash I stripped the other day and used 10 litres, 5 litres each into two 25 litre washes, funny thing was, one wash started ok and the other didn't, I used the same yeast and each was identical.

I had to mix the two together, airiate and pitch some more yeast, now they are both ok.

But it's got me thinking about using backset, is it best to use it directly after a strip run or would it be best to allow it to cool and settle?

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:21 pm


]]>