StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2018-03-15T06:52:37+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=3&t=4799 2018-03-15T06:52:37+00:00 2018-03-15T06:52:37+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4799&p=47620#p47620 <![CDATA[Re: Question on clearing]]>
And guessing it's not made from the best grade of plastic either.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:52 am


]]>
2018-03-14T23:51:15+00:00 2018-03-14T23:51:15+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4799&p=47613#p47613 <![CDATA[Re: Question on clearing]]> My sugar heads, these days, are run a little cloudier than when I started.
My boiler, having concealed heating elements tends not to burn washes.
I don't seem to notice a difference between fully cleared and semi-cloudy washes.
Filtering at that stage makes no difference, the medium used to filter is so small in pore size that not bothering and allowing to settle saves effort and takes no more time.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:51 pm


]]>
2018-03-14T19:14:26+00:00 2018-03-14T19:14:26+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4799&p=47611#p47611 <![CDATA[Re: Question on clearing]]>
It is a pain trying to filter right down to a clear wash. I used to do it with fruit but just let gravity do the work.

I don`t intend to do it again as I am switching to steam injection for my strip pot still instead.

Statistics: Posted by Myles — Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:14 pm


]]>
2018-03-14T14:39:37+00:00 2018-03-14T14:39:37+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4799&p=47610#p47610 <![CDATA[Re: Question on clearing]]>
I have to say you had me guessing there for a minute about "landscape fabric' - I got to weed matting in the end :D

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:39 pm


]]>
2018-03-14T10:55:48+00:00 2018-03-14T10:55:48+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4799&p=47609#p47609 <![CDATA[Re: Question on clearing]]>
I have been told on another forum to pass it through landscape fabric, and by another that with gas heating you don't need to clear at all PROVIDED your flames do not touch the boiler.

I think it is more of an issue with immersion heaters. You can get around it by warming up slowly but I still feel you have a good risk of burning a cloudy wash with an immersion element.

Statistics: Posted by Myles — Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:55 am


]]>
2018-03-14T07:04:34+00:00 2018-03-14T07:04:34+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4799&p=47606#p47606 <![CDATA[Re: Question on clearing]]>
A fermentation is safe on its gross lees for easily 4-6 weeks.
Ferment / chill / still and that leaves 2 weeks to spare.

Better ferment and freeze 8)

I would only rack it if cleaning up to store. Then it also wants to be in a vessel that has no airgap at the top.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:04 am


]]>
2018-03-13T23:49:45+00:00 2018-03-13T23:49:45+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4799&p=47604#p47604 <![CDATA[Re: Question on clearing]]>
I bought some turbo clear to try but now I know more I can't see it ever getting used, I think time and gravity do a pretty good job for free.

Statistics: Posted by Maker — Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:49 pm


]]>
2018-02-11T15:22:12+00:00 2018-02-11T15:22:12+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4799&p=47128#p47128 <![CDATA[Re: Question on clearing]]> Statistics: Posted by Mash — Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:22 pm


]]>
2018-02-11T12:52:26+00:00 2018-02-11T12:52:26+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4799&p=47123#p47123 <![CDATA[Re: Question on clearing]]> Statistics: Posted by Robbo12 — Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:52 pm


]]>
2018-02-11T12:27:49+00:00 2018-02-11T12:27:49+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4799&p=47122#p47122 <![CDATA[Re: Question on clearing]]> Statistics: Posted by Mash — Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:27 pm


]]>
2018-02-11T11:59:09+00:00 2018-02-11T11:59:09+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4799&p=47121#p47121 <![CDATA[Re: Question on clearing]]> Statistics: Posted by Robbo12 — Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:59 am


]]>
2018-02-11T11:49:13+00:00 2018-02-11T11:49:13+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4799&p=47120#p47120 <![CDATA[Re: Question on clearing]]>
If you are making whisky the recommendation is to run it as fast as you can after primary fermentation - even if it has not finished fermenting. The reason given is that the secondary fermentation introduces some esters that you might not want.

By contrast fruit based products are often left to clear completely, and for the secondary fermentation to finish.

I have some rum washes that are still in sealed containers a few years after fermentation - excessive but I just never got around to running them. I have no idea if they are any good.

I will often leave fruit fermentation's a few weeks before I run it because I want it properly clear before it goes in my boiler.

Statistics: Posted by Myles — Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:49 am


]]>
2018-02-11T11:20:15+00:00 2018-02-11T11:20:15+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4799&p=47119#p47119 <![CDATA[Question on clearing]]> Statistics: Posted by Robbo12 — Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:20 am


]]>