StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2018-01-20T11:17:51+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=3&t=4770 2018-01-20T11:17:51+00:00 2018-01-20T11:17:51+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4770&p=46588#p46588 <![CDATA[Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?]]>
hampk wrote:
I think the manufacturers don’t advocate double distilling because it makes their product less appealing - *how* much work for a drink?

For the uninitiated taste-bud impaired novices wandering into the local HBS it makes perfect sense.

Follow the instructions and get cheap, foul-tasting booze in short order.

Alternatively, learn how to use an Airstill effectively, and the results can be really quite palatable.

Horses for courses.

Cheers

Hampk


Definitely correct. Imake are a marketing company first and foremost. I don't know why I've been so puzzled about it, for years homebrew kits have come with instructions guaranteed to make a bad product ('ready in 5 days!') it's the same thing here.

Statistics: Posted by ITMA — Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:17 am


]]>
2018-01-20T05:33:45+00:00 2018-01-20T05:33:45+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4770&p=46585#p46585 <![CDATA[Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?]]>
The truth however interesting is irrelevant to making sales.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:33 am


]]>
2018-01-20T00:54:57+00:00 2018-01-20T00:54:57+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4770&p=46583#p46583 <![CDATA[Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?]]>
For the uninitiated taste-bud impaired novices wandering into the local HBS it makes perfect sense.

Follow the instructions and get cheap, foul-tasting booze in short order.

Alternatively, learn how to use an Airstill effectively, and the results can be really quite palatable.

Horses for courses.

Cheers

Hampk

Statistics: Posted by hampk — Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:54 am


]]>
2018-01-19T22:55:19+00:00 2018-01-19T22:55:19+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4770&p=46580#p46580 <![CDATA[Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?]]> I say not, and will let this point slide in the thread. ;)

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:55 pm


]]>
2018-01-19T22:13:31+00:00 2018-01-19T22:13:31+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4770&p=46575#p46575 <![CDATA[Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?]]>
Icefever wrote:
I can't help wondering why the manufacturers are SO reluctant to recommend double distilling. And people like the LoveBrewing guy (who reckons he's an expert on distilling) has NEVER even suggested a double distil is possible on the AirStill


I give up........... ??? ::)[/quote]

I think you misinterpret my probably badly written post. I'm not saying the still is likely to catch fire or anything, I'm musing that maybe the manufacturers are frightened of recomming double distilling etc in cast a newbie muppet forgets to reduce abv before a spirit run. Just a musing, nothing to see here, move on.

Statistics: Posted by ITMA — Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:13 pm


]]>
2018-01-19T21:57:45+00:00 2018-01-19T21:57:45+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4770&p=46574#p46574 <![CDATA[Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?]]> I currently propose to keep it active for a couple of reasons.
The first is educative.

Anyone proposing a rectifying business that cannot afford to buy in neutral spirit and believes that HMRC will grant them a much harder to obtain distilling licence really needs to look at the facts, wake up and smell the coffee.

Another is that any vaguely intelligent person that has ever owned an Air Still and found this site has been given good advice on double distilling.
It is one of the reasons that I persist, to try and keep people safe.

I will add that at least once, most of us will have tried to go as high in % as we could!
I think I hit 85% once before quitting that game.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:57 pm


]]>
2018-01-19T19:44:56+00:00 2018-01-19T19:44:56+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4770&p=46571#p46571 <![CDATA[Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?]]> Statistics: Posted by H12rpo — Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:44 pm


]]>
2018-01-19T18:59:26+00:00 2018-01-19T18:59:26+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4770&p=46570#p46570 <![CDATA[Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?]]>
The last post from the OP poster is.....

Last visited: Thu Jan 18, 2018, 6:43 pm

Anyone with this limited knowledge should not consider running a craft still until they have grasped the basics on stilling.

ALSO.........

ITMA wrote:
Does anybody think there might be some truth in this fire risk rumour?

YES IT'S TRUE...The vapour will go "BOOM" If there a naked flame anywhere near.

I can't help wondering why the manufacturers are SO reluctant to recommend double distilling. And people like the LoveBrewing guy (who reckons he's an expert on distilling) has NEVER even suggested a double distil is possible on the AirStill


I give up........... ??? ::)

Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:59 pm


]]>
2018-01-19T18:20:23+00:00 2018-01-19T18:20:23+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4770&p=46569#p46569 <![CDATA[Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?]]> some truth in this fire risk rumour?

I can't help wondering why the manufacturers are SO reluctant to recommend double distilling. And people like the LoveBrewing guy (who reckons he's an expert on distilling) has NEVER even suggested a double distil is possible on the AirStill - and he says for example that the Barrel 674 (whiskey from malt extract) can only be done on the Alembic. I know that's not true because I'm now drinking the barrel 674 from my very own airstill.

I wonder if the fear of the manufacturer is that some drongo is going to put some 60% spirit in for a second run so they avoid all talk of running high strength alcohol in the still.

iMake aren't stupid so there must be some underlying reason....guess I could ask them!

Statistics: Posted by ITMA — Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:20 pm


]]>
2018-01-19T16:45:07+00:00 2018-01-19T16:45:07+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4770&p=46568#p46568 <![CDATA[Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?]]> Statistics: Posted by Myles — Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:45 pm


]]>
2018-01-19T09:36:11+00:00 2018-01-19T09:36:11+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4770&p=46565#p46565 <![CDATA[Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?]]> Statistics: Posted by H12rpo — Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:36 am


]]>
2018-01-18T23:04:02+00:00 2018-01-18T23:04:02+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4770&p=46561#p46561 <![CDATA[Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?]]> Statistics: Posted by Brewhunter — Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:04 pm


]]>
2018-01-18T20:49:47+00:00 2018-01-18T20:49:47+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4770&p=46558#p46558 <![CDATA[Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?]]> It is an informative read, and while it explains that HMRC have made applying for a rectifying licence easier, it also explains all the hoops that you have to jump through to satisfy HMRC.
It also explains that you need a business plan, as the country is fast filling up to saturation point with Craft Gin Rectifiers.

The book also discusses other spirits, and is a good compilation of lots of varied information and advice and costs a modest £10.95.

I recommend to all. I have no financial interest in saying so. ;D

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:49 pm


]]>
2018-01-18T13:35:24+00:00 2018-01-18T13:35:24+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4770&p=46554#p46554 <![CDATA[Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?]]>
Duffer26 wrote:
Newbie1986 wrote:So I’ve read if I dilute my neutral spirit I can run it again? With the botanicals added?


You won't find many serious distillers here. It's why I like it.
Yes, is the answer to your question.
Now go get em, kid!!
Regards, Marc.


+1

Sorry Newbie I still think you are INCREDIBLY naive or winding us up. Even your name doesn't show much thought. I get the overriding feeling you are looking for mischief. If thats not the case use the search function, read a bit, the answers are there and then start posting. Even try the recipes section.

If I have it wrong I am genuinely sorry. 'Ball', 'court', 'yours'.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:35 pm


]]>
2018-01-18T12:56:23+00:00 2018-01-18T12:56:23+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4770&p=46553#p46553 <![CDATA[Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?]]> HERE

Warehousing is the 7th paragraph down. There are links to other notices and information from here. After speaking to someone else that is currently doing this, it is a lot easier to simply move to Ireland. It is MUCH easier to get a license there.

Statistics: Posted by Myles — Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:56 pm


]]>