StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2017-03-18T23:47:01+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=2&t=3410 2017-03-18T23:47:01+00:00 2017-03-18T23:47:01+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3410&p=42242#p42242 <![CDATA[Re: Sterilise or Not to Sterilise!!!]]> IMHO this is an area where we each make our own informed choices.
And we can expect different strokes from different folks.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:47 pm


]]>
2017-03-18T06:53:42+00:00 2017-03-18T06:53:42+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3410&p=42237#p42237 <![CDATA[Re: Sterilise or Not to Sterilise!!!]]>
Very little left, because it evaporates.

Ideal as a splash in everything from bottles to ss vessels. Keeping them fresh ready for use. 8)

I do dilute it. 90% heads does destroy the workings of a spray quite quickly

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:53 am


]]>
2017-03-17T18:42:41+00:00 2017-03-17T18:42:41+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3410&p=42229#p42229 <![CDATA[Re: Sterilise or Not to Sterilise!!!]]> Statistics: Posted by packapoo — Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:42 pm


]]>
2017-03-17T07:23:09+00:00 2017-03-17T07:23:09+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3410&p=42217#p42217 <![CDATA[Re: Sterilise or Not to Sterilise!!!]]>
packapoo wrote:
I fancy I can see a flaw in that idea. Tho' might be just me.... :-\



What's your concern? I'm guessing either.....

Contaminating the wash with heads? The quantity from a spray gun is tiny, maybe a table spoon, to do my 60l fermenter, most evaporates off, and even if it didn't, what's and extra 30ml when you are collecting 1.5l heads from the spirit run of 2 stripped washes.

Or

High proof touching plastic? I'm not soaking it in the stuff, contact is maybe a minute, it really does evaporate dry, then I'm chucking 50l of wash in there. If you're not comfortable doing that, then don't do it. They cart NGS about in HDPE totes, so if you drink commercial gin, that base spirit has been in contact with the same type of plastic for much much longer.

Statistics: Posted by Capt-Cudellez — Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:23 am


]]>
2017-03-17T02:01:41+00:00 2017-03-17T02:01:41+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3410&p=42216#p42216 <![CDATA[Re: Sterilise or Not to Sterilise!!!]]>

Statistics: Posted by packapoo — Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:01 am


]]>
2017-03-17T01:17:38+00:00 2017-03-17T01:17:38+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3410&p=42214#p42214 <![CDATA[Re: Sterilise or Not to Sterilise!!!]]>
Capt-Cudellez wrote:
You have to buy that product though. 95% abv heads are a free byproduct of what we do if running a column, spray bottle, and any excess evaporates.


Never thought of using heads as a steriliser, thanks for the info. That's even more money I will be saving in the future.

Cheers.

Statistics: Posted by Chubbs — Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:17 am


]]>
2017-03-16T23:31:28+00:00 2017-03-16T23:31:28+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3410&p=42210#p42210 <![CDATA[Re: Sterilise or Not to Sterilise!!!]]> Statistics: Posted by Capt-Cudellez — Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:31 pm


]]>
2017-03-16T23:09:50+00:00 2017-03-16T23:09:50+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3410&p=42205#p42205 <![CDATA[Re: Sterilise or Not to Sterilise!!!]]>
A lot of the chaps over on a homebrew forum that I used to frequent use Videne. Not the antiseptic scrub but the solution. A bottle goes a long, long way as the dilution rate is 1 part Videne to 1000 parts water.

As long as my fermenters are clean I just spray everything with the mix and the job is done. Larger vessels get a little poured into it and swilled round a few times before been drained. A quick shake to get rid of surplus droplets and am ready to go.

The made up solution lasts in a spray bottle until the colour starts to fade, and it has lots of colour considering the dilution rate. Mine went out of date a couple of years ago but still use it at a slightly higher dilution rate, just to be on the safe side. Never had a bad fermentation while using it and saves a lot of water and time.

Statistics: Posted by Chubbs — Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:09 pm


]]>
2015-03-12T02:39:51+00:00 2015-03-12T02:39:51+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3410&p=24302#p24302 <![CDATA[Re: Sterilise or Not to Sterilise!!!]]> All new to me glassware etc gets a thorough cleaning.
After that,just a rinse,to wash out what I can see.
The same with my plastic fermenters.
All good so far,whatever I chose to put in said receptacle.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:39 am


]]>
2015-03-12T00:35:48+00:00 2015-03-12T00:35:48+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3410&p=24297#p24297 <![CDATA[Re: Sterilise or Not to Sterilise!!!]]> Statistics: Posted by RumJohn — Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:35 am


]]>
2015-03-11T22:49:50+00:00 2015-03-11T22:49:50+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3410&p=24293#p24293 <![CDATA[Re: Sterilise or Not to Sterilise!!!]]>
I've forgotten about a couple of litres left in the bottom of a fermenter for over 6 months - it was still fine, that is until about a week after I lifted the lid and let fresh air or nasties in - it went pretty funky after that.

I washed it out, with fairy liquid and hot water - sprayed with high ABV heads and haven't had any negative repercussions.

If running sugar washes I really don't see the need - but I'm sure each brewhouse will have its own local fauna so do what you feel you need to.
My garage gets a black mold on the surfaces that needs wiped down occasionally- but never seems to impact my brews

Statistics: Posted by Capt-Cudellez — Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:49 pm


]]>
2015-03-11T19:28:40+00:00 2015-03-11T19:28:40+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3410&p=24285#p24285 <![CDATA[Re: Sterilise or Not to Sterilise!!!]]>

Ever since, even for a sugar wash, when I've filled the boiler to get the brew water heated I spray everything that might contact the wash with Chemipro Oxi - same kind of thing as Star San, a no rinse steriliser.

Takes hardly any time, costs almost nothing and the peace of mind is definitely a big bonus. A good robust sanitary routine, in all brewing, may not be absolutely necessary but if you have one it's definitely a routine worth sticking with.

AM Image

Statistics: Posted by Almanac — Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:28 pm


]]>
2015-03-11T18:58:51+00:00 2015-03-11T18:58:51+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3410&p=24281#p24281 <![CDATA[Re: Sterilise or Not to Sterilise!!!]]> Statistics: Posted by Icefever — Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:58 pm


]]>
2015-03-11T16:19:33+00:00 2015-03-11T16:19:33+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3410&p=24272#p24272 <![CDATA[Re: Sterilise or Not to Sterilise!!!]]>

Chuck

Statistics: Posted by chill — Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:19 pm


]]>
2015-03-11T16:03:03+00:00 2015-03-11T16:03:03+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3410&p=24268#p24268 <![CDATA[Re: Sterilise or Not to Sterilise!!!]]>

Is there an EHO in the house ?

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:03 pm


]]>