StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2016-09-18T00:21:44+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=3&t=4231 2016-09-18T00:21:44+00:00 2016-09-18T00:21:44+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4231&p=37052#p37052 <![CDATA[Re: Boiler Temperature Control]]> I seem to be able to keep that controlled. Safely.
As I said,
scale, and maybe experience, are the things in play here.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:21 am


]]>
2016-09-17T16:12:38+00:00 2016-09-17T16:12:38+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4231&p=37042#p37042 <![CDATA[Re: Boiler Temperature Control]]> Statistics: Posted by RumJohn — Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:12 pm


]]>
2016-09-15T22:27:22+00:00 2016-09-15T22:27:22+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4231&p=36997#p36997 <![CDATA[Re: Boiler Temperature Control]]>

Robert

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:27 pm


]]>
2016-09-15T18:14:36+00:00 2016-09-15T18:14:36+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4231&p=36987#p36987 <![CDATA[Re: Boiler Temperature Control]]> Statistics: Posted by RumJohn — Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:14 pm


]]>
2016-09-11T05:32:10+00:00 2016-09-11T05:32:10+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4231&p=36896#p36896 <![CDATA[Re: Boiler Temperature Control]]>

Statistics: Posted by packapoo — Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:32 am


]]>
2016-09-10T22:24:16+00:00 2016-09-10T22:24:16+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4231&p=36891#p36891 <![CDATA[Re: Boiler Temperature Control]]>
But this often happens to me late at night after a shandy or two ;)

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:24 pm


]]>
2016-09-10T18:59:50+00:00 2016-09-10T18:59:50+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4231&p=36881#p36881 <![CDATA[Re: Boiler Temperature Control]]> I'm glad I settled on what I have plus a work-around.

Statistics: Posted by packapoo — Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:59 pm


]]>
2016-09-10T11:49:55+00:00 2016-09-10T11:49:55+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4231&p=36877#p36877 <![CDATA[Re: Boiler Temperature Control]]> K613L1r3(using thyristors).pdf

Statistics: Posted by Myles — Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:49 am


]]>
2016-09-10T05:12:30+00:00 2016-09-10T05:12:30+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4231&p=36873#p36873 <![CDATA[Re: Boiler Temperature Control]]> Going over things last night came to conclusion that the two must be pretty similar. To that end had another think and sorted out a way to proceed.

Statistics: Posted by packapoo — Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:12 am


]]>
2016-09-09T12:19:40+00:00 2016-09-09T12:19:40+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4231&p=36867#p36867 <![CDATA[Re: Boiler Temperature Control]]>
To do a propper job you need to measure both current output and voltage output as on most controllers these BOTH vary constantly.

This was a PSR 40 connected to a 6 kW element in %age of max power.

dial1.jpg

Statistics: Posted by Myles — Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:19 pm


]]>
2016-09-09T05:49:35+00:00 2016-09-09T05:49:35+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4231&p=36861#p36861 <![CDATA[Re: Boiler Temperature Control]]>
My present is a burst-fire controller which I have configured as a clock face: off @ 7 o'clock, full tilt @ 5 o'clock. I don't believe the in-betweens fully reflect the true power inputs. I run it thru a plug in power meter showing wattage as a guide but still have doubts.
So, will SSR be an advance?
I've just finished a new brew shed where among other things, electric circuitry should reflect stability in power usage on my meter, but Murphy's being what it is.....

What I'm trying to do is get correlation between boiler temp and output temp to optimise off-take. I have seen claims this is worthwhile but perhaps I've missed something....

Statistics: Posted by packapoo — Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:49 am


]]>
2016-09-09T01:10:50+00:00 2016-09-09T01:10:50+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4231&p=36857#p36857 <![CDATA[Re: Boiler Temperature Control]]>
As to yours Anavrin, realising the STC will switch off at set temp, my thinking was by eyeballing, at temp drop increase temp to get rolling again to the next phase. Then ditto repeato.

Statistics: Posted by packapoo — Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:10 am


]]>
2016-09-08T22:24:51+00:00 2016-09-08T22:24:51+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4231&p=36852#p36852 <![CDATA[Re: Boiler Temperature Control]]> With my VS Still, once I have set a boiler temp.- with my SSR controller, time is the controlling factor, as my cooling is more or less fixed.
As with many here, after full reflux and then the heads have come off, nudging the boiler input up starts the hearts.
In my case, for some reason, Style and scale of metalwork, ambient air, whatever,... Tails don't start.
I got lucky maybe :D

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:24 pm


]]>
2016-09-08T20:43:51+00:00 2016-09-08T20:43:51+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4231&p=36850#p36850 <![CDATA[Re: Boiler Temperature Control]]>
You can't control the temperature the contents of your boiler boils at, that's determined by the composition of the liquids inside it, all you can do is regulate the power with an SSR or something similar.

This will enable you to smoothly turn down the power to a required level during a spirit run.

If you tried to use an STC set at a particular temperature to control the boiler temp, all that would happen is once that temp has been reached the power will be switched off and it will stop boiling until it's cooled down enough for it to start again, we need a continuos boil that constantly produces vapour, so a power regulator is the way to go.

Statistics: Posted by Anavrin — Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:43 pm


]]>
2016-09-08T20:17:48+00:00 2016-09-08T20:17:48+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4231&p=36849#p36849 <![CDATA[Boiler Temperature Control]]>
I'm thinking of two possibilities for my set up. Either mate my PDA-1 to a T500 lid to mount on my GF, or setup one of the cloned GF STC controllers I have, to run my existing boiler. The boiler does have a thermowell which makes that option simpler. All I have to decide is whether to plug my present boiler control, which is a little hit-and-miss as far as real control goes, into STC or bypass the present control entirely in favour of STC.

Any thoughts you might have would be welcomed.
As an aside would I be right in thinking if initial run temp were set at fores tops, would that automatically ensure all fores were extracted at any one time during a run? Similarly, same could be done for heads and hearts?

Statistics: Posted by packapoo — Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:17 pm


]]>