StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2017-03-16T00:27:12+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=13&t=4494 2017-03-16T00:27:12+00:00 2017-03-16T00:27:12+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4494&p=42175#p42175 <![CDATA[Re: Help please]]>
but instead I cleaned the drains with it ;D[/quote]

Go that fellow! :D

Every male needs his drains cleaned once in a while........ :-X

Statistics: Posted by packapoo — Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:27 am


]]>
2017-03-16T00:08:14+00:00 2017-03-16T00:08:14+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4494&p=42172#p42172 <![CDATA[Re: Help please]]>
Mash wrote:
PS don't dump it. It will be recoverable.


I don't disagree with this. I do advocate keeping "mistakes" both to try and fix them and to compare them with other recipes and processes (and also because every distallate improves with age)

I have a small flat and have to keep clutter under control and that includes clearing out all crap a couple of times a year. I could have drank it, but instead I cleaned the drains with it ;D

Statistics: Posted by Curmudgeon — Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:08 am


]]>
2017-03-15T22:48:08+00:00 2017-03-15T22:48:08+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4494&p=42164#p42164 <![CDATA[Re: Help please]]> We need a Churchill dog smilie.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:48 pm


]]>
2017-03-15T07:36:21+00:00 2017-03-15T07:36:21+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4494&p=42137#p42137 <![CDATA[Re: Help please]]> Statistics: Posted by Mash — Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:36 am


]]>
2017-03-15T01:15:12+00:00 2017-03-15T01:15:12+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4494&p=42136#p42136 <![CDATA[Re: Help please]]> You have serious problems.

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:15 am


]]>
2017-03-14T23:19:45+00:00 2017-03-14T23:19:45+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4494&p=42128#p42128 <![CDATA[Re: Help please]]>
Cloudiness after distilling possibly implies you still have some tails in there. I wouldn't begin to guess if milk would be removed by a single distillation, but colour just doesn't carry across in my limited experience.

If you are determined to rescue it, I'd distill and/or filter again and air it and then let it mellow for a few months.

I eventually dumped my first batch because I was making so much better with the help of here. It was drinkable but just not worth more of my time when new recipes and batches are so easy and inexpensive.

Statistics: Posted by Curmudgeon — Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:19 pm


]]>
2017-03-14T12:54:13+00:00 2017-03-14T12:54:13+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4494&p=42117#p42117 <![CDATA[Re: Help please]]>
This would be more running order to manage-out off flavours.

1kg per Liter - Don't overstress the yeast. No stress, no off-flavour.

Temperature - Keep it steady. Temperature does affect the yeast and drastically. So again, no stress no off flavour.

Strip - However you choose. No cuts required.

Spirit run - Now is the time to do the cuts - did you separate heads and tails?

Airing - comes next. I normally give it a couple of days with a cloth over it in a warm place.

Filtering - Yeah with a turbo.

Yes Turbo's do have a tendency to produce off flavours.

Hope that helps..

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:54 pm


]]>
2017-03-14T08:26:13+00:00 2017-03-14T08:26:13+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4494&p=42114#p42114 <![CDATA[Help please]]> I followed the double distilling process on this forum and ended up with 3.6L of about 68%, I watered this down to 40% and ran it through the Essencia Carbon filter...

It still has a harshness to it?

Is this because I used a turbo yeast? Because it was a bit cloudy when I ran it? Do I need to filter twice? Do I need to air it?

All help and advice humbly received??
Many thanks

Statistics: Posted by JCT — Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:26 am


]]>