StillSmart Home distillation made easy! 2017-06-19T01:07:19+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/feed.php?f=1&t=4572 2017-06-19T01:07:19+00:00 2017-06-19T01:07:19+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4572&p=43520#p43520 <![CDATA[Re: Acid cleaning etc ?]]> I guess that I am still saying that I don't know Phantom, but can't see vinegar buggering a Smart Still.
Don't quote me on that.
Don't try and sue me on that :D

Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:07 am


]]>
2017-06-18T06:27:06+00:00 2017-06-18T06:27:06+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4572&p=43507#p43507 <![CDATA[Re: Acid cleaning etc ?]]>
I make my own red wine vinegar.
The Acetobacter gets it to 8-10% and use can taste the strength.

But we also use a lot of commercial white vinegar for cleaning.

Statistics: Posted by Mash — Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:27 am


]]>
2017-06-18T02:56:24+00:00 2017-06-18T02:56:24+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4572&p=43503#p43503 <![CDATA[Re: Acid cleaning etc ?]]>
Homebrew or baby bottle steriliser will work fine too.

edit : if you only need a few litres, coca cola will be cost effective.

Statistics: Posted by Curmudgeon — Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:56 am


]]>
2017-06-17T23:21:52+00:00 2017-06-17T23:21:52+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4572&p=43497#p43497 <![CDATA[Re: Acid cleaning etc ?]]>
Robert.

Statistics: Posted by Easydrinker — Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:21 pm


]]>
2017-06-17T12:55:00+00:00 2017-06-17T12:55:00+00:00 http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4572&p=43493#p43493 <![CDATA[Acid cleaning etc ?]]>
Some of them have what looks like white water marks where any rain/cider dregs has dried out/evaporated away.

Most cleaning materials available are base/alkaline, but commercial cleaners can be either base/alkaline or acidic (I'm familiar with "hot running acid" as used in the dairy industry).

I'm just doing a spirits run in the smart still and needed a container for the distillate before letting it down and carbon filtering. It occurred to me that maybe as it can be used to clean most stuff, vinegar might work. So I've just given one of the half gallon DJ's a rinse and brush, before a soap and water rinse.

But it gave me an idea..............

Could I just still some vinegar myself to increase the strength/acetic acid content ? Only because I managed to scrounge the dregs of a phosphoric acid cleaner from a works customer to try (30% phosphoric acid). It worked well on whatever I was trying to clean at the time but it's rather expensive (over £100 per 5 litres) and distilling some vinegar to increase the strength to more than the 2 to 5% acetic acid of vinegar to maybe 10 to 20% might remove the water marks if they are somehow derived from minerals.

Anyone know if this is a practical idea, as I wouldn't like to just try it out and find that it's knackered the smart still........

Statistics: Posted by Phantom — Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:55 pm


]]>