Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)
28 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)
Hello all,
I'm new to all this so let me start off by saying a huge thanks to everyone who posts on here, I genuinely wouldn't have made it this far without your help.
I've been playing around with that finest of birthday gifts the air-still, and am delighted to say I've had some success with the kale wash and sputnik from this site.
However, I'm looking for some guidance on what to do with the accumulated heads & tails from spirit runs.
Due to a lack of space I've been bunging all of it into one demi-john, which is now approaching full.
Can I salvage anything from this (and if so, how?) or can this only be done with separate heads & tails collections?
Any tips, hints & finger-waggings gratefully received!
I'm new to all this so let me start off by saying a huge thanks to everyone who posts on here, I genuinely wouldn't have made it this far without your help.
I've been playing around with that finest of birthday gifts the air-still, and am delighted to say I've had some success with the kale wash and sputnik from this site.
However, I'm looking for some guidance on what to do with the accumulated heads & tails from spirit runs.
Due to a lack of space I've been bunging all of it into one demi-john, which is now approaching full.
Can I salvage anything from this (and if so, how?) or can this only be done with separate heads & tails collections?
Any tips, hints & finger-waggings gratefully received!
-

Sonder - Newcomer
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:48 pm
Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)
Hi & welcome Sonder.
This is a mixed bag...I've just run 19 litres of head, tails, and odd bits left over and finished up with a decent quantity of likker.
Now, you will find some guys will say that they don't bother with either heads or tails, but, there's always a but...there is a small quantity of good likker still lurking around in the above-mentioned crap.
If you have the know-how and time, go for it, it's times like this that you realise where you are on this steep learning curve that you've started on.
Best of luck and let us know what you think about the end product that you finish up with.
Ice.
This is a mixed bag...I've just run 19 litres of head, tails, and odd bits left over and finished up with a decent quantity of likker.
Now, you will find some guys will say that they don't bother with either heads or tails, but, there's always a but...there is a small quantity of good likker still lurking around in the above-mentioned crap.
If you have the know-how and time, go for it, it's times like this that you realise where you are on this steep learning curve that you've started on.
Best of luck and let us know what you think about the end product that you finish up with.
Ice.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
-

Icefever - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 2407
- Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
- Location: Kingdom of Mercia
Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)
Thanks Icefever, good to know it wont be wasted. I'll put it aside until I've ran my next lot of kale wash through.
Now I really must pick up some more demi-johns!
Now I really must pick up some more demi-johns!
-

Sonder - Newcomer
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:48 pm
Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)
Personally I collect heads n tails in separate jars. Tails I add a litre at a time to a cleared kale wash when it's ready to go in the pot. This ups the % and qty a bit. The heads I do a "heads run" with by diluting to 30% and re running again in my pot with some bots 
But it's whatever floats your boat at the end of the day, or in my case...pops my corks!

But it's whatever floats your boat at the end of the day, or in my case...pops my corks!

If I wanted patience, i'd have trained to be a doctor.
-

Klunk - Regular

- Posts: 97
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:10 pm
- Stills: T500 & Airstill
Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)
Klunk wrote:Personally I collect heads n tails in separate jars. Tails I add a litre at a time to a cleared kale wash when it's ready to go in the pot. This ups the % and qty a bit. The heads I do a "heads run" with by diluting to 30% and re running again in my pot with some bots
But it's whatever floats your boat at the end of the day, or in my case...pops my corks!
Ah, That's Interesting. I thought I'd heard something about re-distilling the heads and tails separately, but couldn't
find any further details. Definitely something to think about in the future

Haven't come across the term 'bots' yet though, what is that ?

-

Sonder - Newcomer
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:48 pm
Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)
Sonder wrote:Haven't come across the term 'bots' yet though, what is that ?
I think you find it's..."Botanicals"......

I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
-

Icefever - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 2407
- Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
- Location: Kingdom of Mercia
Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)
Icefever wrote:Sonder wrote:Haven't come across the term 'bots' yet though, what is that ?
I think you find it's..."Botanicals"......
It all becomes clear! I really should have guessed that
Cheers folks, and thanks again for the pointers

-

Sonder - Newcomer
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:48 pm
Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)
No worries, that's what most of the folks on here do, help where n when we can 

If I wanted patience, i'd have trained to be a doctor.
-

Klunk - Regular

- Posts: 97
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:10 pm
- Stills: T500 & Airstill
Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)
Welcome.
For a different take....
I use a lot of junkohol (heads/tails/ullage) for cleaning / fly spray / preservative / fire lighting etc etc. Never gets wasted.
For a different take....
I use a lot of junkohol (heads/tails/ullage) for cleaning / fly spray / preservative / fire lighting etc etc. Never gets wasted.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)
Mash wrote:Welcome.
For a different take....
I use a lot of junkohol (heads/tails/ullage) for cleaning / fly spray / preservative / fire lighting etc etc. Never gets wasted.
Ta Mash, I do save the foreshots in a wee bottle as a general purpose label-remover/solvent, I may have to start thinking bigger!
-

Sonder - Newcomer
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:48 pm
Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)
I would be lost without the Rubbish from a heads run, I would have to buy firelighters again, and that is without the occasional use on a BBQ in this part of the world.
Lots of other uses.
Robert.
Lots of other uses.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)
ED you could run a Honda moped on it, if you could get your shit together enough to buy a Honda moped, stop wasting your money on sugar and yeast, buy yourself a moped, idealy a Honda.
-

Maker - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 176
- Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
- Stills: KEG
Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)
If I don't spend the money on Sugar and Yeast how do I fuel the moped?
I hope you made it to bed safely
Robert.
I hope you made it to bed safely
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)
Lol. I thought that. Well tbh.
"What have you been drinking!!"
"What have you been drinking!!"
Last edited by Mash on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)
I'd been looking at mopeds from my youth on ebay and drinking whiskey, it's hardly my fault.
I still stand by the idea of using junk booze as fuel as a good idea, if you could collect all your supplies this way it would be very eco hippy acceptable, I got a C50 moped (Honda...) to run on ouzo once, not very well but it ran.
I still stand by the idea of using junk booze as fuel as a good idea, if you could collect all your supplies this way it would be very eco hippy acceptable, I got a C50 moped (Honda...) to run on ouzo once, not very well but it ran.
-

Maker - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 176
- Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
- Stills: KEG
28 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest