Who has made UJSSM

A place for general discussion

Who has made UJSSM

Postby Anavrin » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:15 pm

Hi Guys

I'm going to have a go at a multi generation UJSSM, there's an easy to follow guide here

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=39682

It's not the original UJSSM thread as that is over 150 pages long

Just wondering if anyone else has done it, I'm assuming once into 4 or more generations you will get something similar to Corn Whisky, don't quite know what that tastes like but I'm assuming it's not a million miles away from Bourbon, anyone got any experiences they want to share?
Image
Anavrin
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: By the Sea
Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash

Re: Who has made UJSSM

Postby Anavrin » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:28 pm

That'll be no one then !!!
Image
Anavrin
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: By the Sea
Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash

Re: Who has made UJSSM

Postby Easydrinker » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:04 am

I know that there are people here that have tried this.
Today's silence means that they found it unremarkable, or they have not yet read your post.
I haven't tried it, so cannae say. :D

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5206
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Who has made UJSSM

Postby RumJohn » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:23 am

I have a hand written copy of Uncle Jessy's moonshine recipe somewhere, but not seen it in years. Malted corn, sugar, branch water and yeast was about all.
User avatar
RumJohn
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:21 am
Location: Sanya, China
Stills: Homegrown

Re: Who has made UJSSM

Postby wormwood » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:00 am

I make it pretty regularly.
User avatar
wormwood
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: USA
Stills: Air Still

Re: Who has made UJSSM

Postby Anavrin » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:39 pm

@wormwood

If you make it often, what's it like as a drink, is there a commercial spirit you would compare it to?

I'm thinking to get a UJSSM going and along side it, also make a rye/malted barley wash or two, then combine the strips during a spirit run to see if I can create something like bourbon.
Image
Anavrin
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: By the Sea
Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash

Re: Who has made UJSSM

Postby Easydrinker » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:32 am

Methinks that you hope too much, but if don't set yourself a goal, then how do you smash it?
Best of luck here.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5206
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Who has made UJSSM

Postby wormwood » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:08 am

Anavrin wrote:If you make it often, what's it like as a drink, is there a commercial spirit you would compare it to?


I usually drink it white. I'm not very familiar with the current crop of commercial white whiskeys, but I think my cuts are much better than Georgia Moon and crap like that. Young and white, UJSSM has a nice sweet corn flavor, with a bit of typical sugar shine bite. Over time, it loses the bite, but also loses that fresh corn flavor. Give it some time on oak and it rounds out quite nicely, although I'm not sure it's ever going to compete with a real top shelf bourbon. That said, I've never left any on oak for five or ten years, so I don't know...

All of this strictly my opinion, based on my ingredients (cane sugar, feed store corn, bread yeast and filtered water, with eggshells to buffer the ph) and my methods (ferment aound 80 deg F, about 25 - 30% backset, double distilled, sometimes a 1.5 run) - I'm sure any of this could be tweaked, but I like the results I get.

It's fast, reliable and cheap - definitely worth trying. That said, if you're going to be doing an all grain with barley and rye anyway, you might as well malt some corn as well and make real bourbon.
User avatar
wormwood
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: USA
Stills: Air Still

Re: Who has made UJSSM

Postby Anavrin » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:57 pm

I got into a right sticky mess last time I tried to malt corn, not easy to get hold of any decent enzymes over here in the UK, I tried gelatinising some corn and mixing in some malted barley and rye to get it to convert, but I got a very poor conversion, off a 25 litre wash I only collected about 2-2.5 litres of strip, can't remember now if I added any sugar, possibly not from memory.

I'm thinking if I could use UJSSM to get corn whiskey strip, then add rye/barely strip to the boiler charge I could possibly make a bourbon spirit, still the same ingredients just added together at a different stage.

Two chances I guess :)
Image
Anavrin
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: By the Sea
Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash

Re: Who has made UJSSM

Postby packapoo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:09 pm

I was wondering what the availability of malted corn might be like in your neck of the woods?

Same as it is in mine. Apparently. :-\
I seldom take myself seriously....
User avatar
packapoo
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am
Location: Marton, New Zealand
Stills: Amphora PDA-1

Re: Who has made UJSSM

Postby Anavrin » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:12 pm

Malted Corn, now that would be something to behold, I'll have to add it to my list for Farther Christmas :)
Image
Anavrin
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: By the Sea
Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash

Re: Who has made UJSSM

Postby wormwood » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:47 am

The trick to malting corn is to use white corn or red corn, rather than yellow corn. Back when I grew my own, I sprouted it in mason jars with lids like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Sprouting-Jar-St ... B000WRZODY

Not growing my own corn right now, so UJSSM with feedstore yellow corn is my main whiskey and it is less hassle, even though the results are less smooth. No experience with enzymes (other than the naturally occurring ones) so I can't really comment on that.
User avatar
wormwood
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: USA
Stills: Air Still

Re: Who has made UJSSM

Postby Anavrin » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:09 pm

I started mine today, had to convert the US recipe to metric so this is what I've come up with.

I used a 60 litre fermenter for a 40 litre wash, although once the corn and sugar is added, it sits on the 50 litre mark on the bucket.

My recipe is

8kg of cracked corn
8kg of sugar
40 litres of water
Full tin Allinsons bread yeast

Method

Add the corn and sugar to the bucket while heating 20litres of water to 35°c.

Mix the warm water in the bucket to dissolve the sugar.

Heat another 20 litres to 25°c and top up, mixing lots to disolve the sugar.

The final temp was 28°c, added a full tin of Allinsons, let it sit on top for 15 mins before mixing in.

Of course this is just the start, next time I will have backset to add, I'll keep
A record of my progress here, starting SG is 1.070

Image
Image
Anavrin
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: By the Sea
Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash

Re: Who has made UJSSM

Postby Anavrin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:22 pm

I think this is nearly done, I'll strip it over the weekend and start the second generation using 10 litres of backset, also when I strip the next lot, I will add this first strip to the boiler as the first strip is "sweet" (no backset used) after this each generation will be sour.
Image
Anavrin
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: By the Sea
Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash

Re: Who has made UJSSM

Postby Anavrin » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:46 am

Job done, stripped it and used 10 litres backset to disolve another 8kg of sugar and refilled the bucket for the next generation, I altered my plan slightly, after I removed the top layer of spent corn, I decided not to replace it with new corn as the amount already in there was up to the 15 litre mark, next time I will add new corn to replace what gets removed.

Got 7.5 litres of strip down to 20%, it also fermented below SG1.000 without any added nutrients, it was just cracked corn, sugar, water and bread yeast.

Not checked it this morning yet, hopefully I didn't kill the yeast off and it's fermenting once again.

EDIT : just popped in the guarage and its bubbling away nicely, at this rate I recon I will get through one a week.
Image
Anavrin
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: By the Sea
Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash

Next

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Easydrinker, Google [Bot] and 1 guest

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: Easydrinker, Google [Bot] and 1 guest