Page 1 of 2
anyone tried peated malt for their whisky.

Posted:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:49 am
by guest5234
For £28 for 25kg of crisp peated pot still malt I thought I would give it a go, anyone else tried it?
Re: anyone tried peated malt for their whisky.

Posted:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:54 pm
by gaza the instructor
Yes but only 10% which was not enough. Will try
25% next time. That is a good price, details
please.
Re: anyone tried peated malt for their whisky.

Posted:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:59 pm
by Easydrinker
Having once tried an un-peated malt for scotch, I now only use Heavily Peated Malt.
But that may just be due to my tastebuds.
Robert.
Re: anyone tried peated malt for their whisky.

Posted:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:52 am
by Mash
You still have tastebuds?

Re: anyone tried peated malt for their whisky.

Posted:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:40 pm
by Easydrinker
I grew up gargling with Laphroig.
My taste buds are uniquely refined.
Robert.
Re: anyone tried peated malt for their whisky.

Posted:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:44 am
by ITMA
I've just completed a batch, just laid down for ageing.
Back in March I did a test batch using medium peated malt. After all the work I was disappointed with the yield (around 1.5 bottles I think??). Malt Miller's prices for "small" amounts (7Kg) were ridiculous - 24.50 ex vat which looking back is a crazy amount. All in no real saving.
This time around I thought it would make more sense to use heavily peated malt and to cut it 50/50 with a lager malt, and to do it in bulk, so I got 25kg from MaltMiller back in June. This was £40 ex VAT so you got a very good deal.
First three brews at 50% heavy peat and lager malt, I wasn't very happy with the level of peat aroma, I'd had a much better result from the 100% of medium, so for brews 4 and 5 I used 100% heavy peat.
End result is little over a demijohn at 50%, about 7 or 8 bottles, which is in line with the results of the test run. I thought with a full charge I might get more efficiency or something.
Cost wise it's not a great result, but even if I'd got the better deal that you got, I'm not sure that the work involved (5 brew days - albeit quite a bit quicker than brewing beer) plus all the stripping runs and a long spirit run - I'm not sure that it was worth it, other than - of course - the pleasure of doing it myself.
(Ps I'm not in the game to make cheap booze, I realise this post reads a bit like that but I'm looking at it dispassionately. Brew days are a bit of a nightmare in my useless kitchen so I have to include the pain of the mess in the calculation!)
Re: anyone tried peated malt for their whisky.

Posted:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:50 pm
by Easydrinker
I have to concurr, my own attempts at REAL Malt whisky, after all the work, are not cheap, and only worth it because uniquely mine.
And quite frankly I don't give a shit if others don't like them.
Robert.
Re: anyone tried peated malt for their whisky.

Posted:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:32 pm
by ITMA
And quite frankly I don't give a shit if others don't like them.
Dead right! I don't even offer it to anyone because I'm a mean old git, but there is an intense pleasure to be had from relaxing with your own personal and one-of-a-kind drink!
Re: anyone tried peated malt for their whisky.

Posted:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:26 am
by Toper
I use only 100% heavily peated malt.
I am delighted with the finished product and, given the probable retail price for a whisky of equivalent quality I find it an incredibly cheap, to the point where others can't believe how cheap it was to make.
My last run, using four 25kg sacks of malt produced roughly 54 x 75cl bottles of excellent whisky
.
The cost of buying such a quantity of equal quality would be way beyond my meagre pockets.
Heavily peated malt does seem to carry a premium price but, should you care for the flavour, you reap a fantastic reward from your outlay.
There does appear to be roughly three levels of peating available, light, medium and heavy, so I wouldn't bother with blending with unpeated.
If you like a whisky, none will go to waste; if unsure, try 100% medium peat.
For regular whisky production smaller bags of malt seem an expensive waste of time.
The labour involved is, for me, not a cost, I enjoy the whole process from start to finish.
Re: anyone tried peated malt for their whisky.

Posted:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:23 pm
by ITMA
Very impressive results there Toper. A finger in the air calculation suggests you're twice the efficiency than me. I'm not sure where I can improve the process really!
Do you have a regular supplier for your malt?
Re: anyone tried peated malt for their whisky.

Posted:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:02 pm
by gaza the instructor
Guest5234 come on mate spill the beans, where to buy
peated malt at £28 a sack?
Re: anyone tried peated malt for their whisky.

Posted:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:31 pm
by Toper
ITMA
When preparing for a run I look for what is available in heavily peated and then go for what appears to be the cheapest (including carriage costs) and I order 4 x 25kg bags at a time. It also has to be ready crushed for me as the task of crushing such a quantity, with it concomitant dust is now beyond me.
My last lot was from:
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/min ... -3319.htmlI had, previously, had a supply from 'Get 'Er Brewed' at a very good price, but I don't think they do 25kg sacks ready crushed any more.
When I am doing a series of mashes. in preparation for fermenting, before disposing of the first lot of used grain, I give it a final hot water wash and use that as the water for my next mash in turn In that way I feel I get any residual sugars and quite some flavour carried over.
Good luck
Re: anyone tried peated malt for their whisky.

Posted:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:36 pm
by Mash
Have you tried
https://www.brewersselect.co.ukGood range. Good crowd. Good prices. Quite happy to do single bag sales.
Re: anyone tried peated malt for their whisky.

Posted:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:00 pm
by gaza the instructor
like that Mash will try in the new year.
Am finally going to buy an all in one brewer
probably a Bulldog.
Re: anyone tried peated malt for their whisky.

Posted:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:47 pm
by Mash