Page 1 of 1

cold starts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:36 pm
by Tasturbo
Would there be any issues turning the heat pad on in the morning as i go to work to pre heat the wash before running it, i noticed that being so cold cold at the moment it takes so much more to get the still up and running,

i have my heat pad set at about 25 so when i got home and transfer to still it would heat up much quicker.

??? ??? ;D

Re: cold starts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:01 pm
by Easydrinker
That seems like a reasonable work around to me.
I cannot forsee any problems.

Robert.

Re: cold starts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:26 pm
by Capt-Cudellez
You shouldn't have any issue, after degassing and letting settle, I often switch the heat back on the day before I run it.
With my insulated fermenters I can get it up to Mid 30's, which makes a load of difference when the temps are in single figures over night.

Re: cold starts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:27 am
by Tasturbo
Sounds like a plan thanx, the brews are just over 2 weeks old when goin to still.

Re: cold starts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:12 am
by Mash
sounds like an good idea - are you doing 1 run per night?

Re: cold starts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:40 pm
by Easydrinker
Until you try some stuff that is out of your comfort zone/experience level, it can seem pretty freaky.
With a little experience you will become a little more chilled and "fly" :D
Keep playin', it will soon become second nature.

Robert.

Re: cold starts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:59 am
by Tasturbo
Mash wrote:sounds like an good idea - are you doing 1 run per night?



yes i only run it once per night, that takes long enuff and longer when its single digit start ups.

Re: cold starts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:29 pm
by Easydrinker
Although the nights are currently getting longer where I am, the idea of two reflux runs of an evening are a dream ;D

Robert.

Re: cold starts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:27 am
by Mash
If you set the heat pad to 30c I don't think it would harm anything.

Re: cold starts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:26 am
by Easydrinker
Mash wrote:If you set the heat pad to 30c I don't think it would harm anything.



IF YOU DO THIS TO A PREVIOULY RACKED WASH......

Otherwise I forsee off flavours coming through.
But hey, try it and let us know how it goes.
I know shit and mostly make it up as I go along. ;D

Robert.

Re: cold starts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:46 am
by Mash
I would agree with you and considered this in my answer and came to the conclusion it only a little longer than bringing it up to the boil.

Also might depend on how old the wash is.

Let's see